Lag exploits... ???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Another concern creped up in my mind, and I can't seem to let go of it. I didn't put this under the disconnects thread I posted in earlier because it is quite different.

I'm sure people have thought about how these "Instances" hosted on one of the player's computers might be effected by Network Latency. However there may actually be a competitive advantage for somebody to do this. Also if there is a potential benefit for someone to create lag they can do it by assigning a lower priority to the SotA process tree and run a CPU intensive program instead of using the network. This may be detectable and resolvable.

To illustrate my point I will use an example from Ultima4. In combat you gained Valor for fighting, but lost valor for fleeing. Also I believe compassion was elevated by allowing injured creatures to flee combat... (I'm not sure if that was case but I thought so).

Now with that in mind that could be an example where lag would be a benifit to an exploiter. If a person discovered he or she were the "Host" they could renice the process tree and run a program to interfere with SotA processes, or they might easily cause network congestion so that all of a sudden the instance could become so slow during PvP combat that it makes the other person elect to flee rather than endure it, or even worse think it is a problem with their connection and disconnect. This would result in a victory for the cheater.

again i'm not sure if this is even relevant but I thought it was worth mentioning in case it proves useful. It's always better to test this stuff out during development than rework something after the release.

DavenRock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.