Lana Rhiane - Priestess Awakened (work in progress - character fiction)

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Avatar Aiden, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar Aiden

I've been wanting to move forward with a fan fiction story but haven't had enough background material.

I've decided to try anyway and will be making up a lot of background material for the sake of the story. Also taking some liberties with geography and whatnot. I can always do a rewrite if a more comprehensive cannon reference comes out. This is all first draft and has not had the blessing of a rewrite yet. For you writers please be patient. I will polish. PM me if you want to offer a critique.

Format: I'll have one big post at the beginning of the thread and as I add to it I'll datestamp it so if you are reading the story you can pick up where you left off. Thanks for your time! (also will mark if previous passages are re-written).

06/04/14 - ch 1 first draft
    06/16/14 - ch 1 second draft
    -1-
    Lana swayed back out of reach of the kobold's club and, rolling her balance forward, brought her mace over and down in an overhead strike ending it's life in a spray of gore and brain matter.
    "On guard, Lana!" shouted Kali. Lana whirled, her shield out horizontal just in time to catch another club hit. The blow startled her with it's ferocity and she fell back, her shield arm sagging numb to her side. Kali, the squad leader shouted again, "Gentai, help her!" She was wrapped up in her own fight squaring off against two kobolds. Her blade and shield darted in and out and drew yelps of pain from her attackers.
    Gentai, one of the men at arms, locked in his own battle right next to Lana, glanced over at her opponent and shot out a kick that caused the kobold to stumble and lose his momentum. He grunted and returned to his fight.
    The precious few seconds was all that she needed. Her wits back, Lana gripped her mace and shrieked, charging into the large kobold and bringing her mace up from the ground into it's armpit and connecting with it's rib cage. The blow crunched as bones splintered and the creature was lifted off of the ground and thrown back several feet. It's howl startled the other Kobolds and several more died in that second. Lana ran forward and straddled the creature, bringing her mace down on it's head. "Light burn you!" she spat as she channled her fury into the blow and completely obliterated it's skull. Her mace sizzled and the smell of cooked meat filled the air as her magic responded to her passion surged down the mace.
    "Well struck, Lady!" Gentai grinned at her. He shook the gore off of his sword and turned to engage his next foe. "Thanks," she gasped. She surveyed the rest of the squad. Kali was down to one kobold and would have him finished in the next few seconds. Gentai the same. Tobin was 15 paces away with 3 around him. He was defending himself but not able to land any blows. He would tire soon if they didn't help. Their yips and grunts as they circled him sounded confident.
    Lana felt the fury rise up again. "For the Light!" she shouted and charged. She used her shield as a battering ram and knocked one kobold down. Not even pausing, she ran right over him and, launching off of his chest, leaped at the second one with her mace swinging. The second creature brought up it's club to block her blow. Her mace whistled as it swung. It barely paused as it smashed through the club and into the kobold's shoulder snapping bones. A second blow sent the monster into the abyss. The howl from that blow shattered the resolve of the remaining kobold who turned to flee. Tobin killed it with a quick thrust. He made swift work of the creature Lana had stunned in her charge. Several approaching kobolds saw the last few seconds of the fight. They turned and fled. As quickly as it had begun, the skirmish was over.
    Kali walked up, Gentai limping a bit beside her. She was clutching her arm where a club had landed a glancing blow. Gentai must have taken a club hit to his leg as well. Lana was still panting from the fight and felt a little dizzy. But her squad had just survived a fight and lived to tell about it.
    She stepped over the dead creature and motioned to Kali's arm, "Let me see that." The arm was starting to swell up into a large bump and could get dangerous if it got large enough to impede circulation. Normal procedure was to lance it in several places to relieve pressure and apply some leaches if available. Lana ran her fingers gently over the bump and rested her hands on either side. Closing her eyes she prayed so softly that Kali had to strain to hear her words.
    "Lord please heal this wound through me your humble and imperfect servant. Let the perfection of your light and your love wipe away the pain and heal your daughter Kali. Amen." Warmth built in her hands and she felt it flow between her hands and through the arm. Kali gasped. The arm visibly shrank and proper color returned.
    "Lady your gifts must be from the Avatars themselves. I am always in your debt for your healing."
    "I have no power, Kali. I'm just the conduit for Him to work His will." She patted Kali's arm. "All better." Kali smiled at her.
    "What about you two?" Lana asked. Gentai shook his head. "I'll be fine." Tobin also was unscathed. "No milady. Your timely intervention saved me."
    Gentai nodded in agreement, "We are fortunate to have a priestess who can also fight. A rare bird indeed." He paused, "Is it your magic that also strengthens your arm? Or is your mace empowered?"
    Kali interrupted, "Let's move back to the ridge. It's already dusk and those kobolds will likely come back with more of their tribe." They nodded, grabbed their gear and started out of the clearing.
    "No Gentai," Lana continued. "The mace I grabbed from the armory when we left Celestis." She handed it over to him as they walked. "Standard gear from the town blacksmith." He grunted. "Then it's you. Or not. Look here. There are runes in between the flanges. They have a slight glow to them." She shook her head. "I swear those weren't there when we left. I don't know what to tell you."
    He handed it back to her and smiled. "Your touch strengthens men and metal. Fortune smiles on us today." She shrugged. "It's His will." She grinned back at him.
    The group arrived at their campsite several miles away without incident and Gentai took first watch as they settled in for the night. They decided against an open fire but creative use of a hooded lantern allowed them to heat some food and make a small but nourishing meal. Lana drank from her canteen while she, Kali, and Tobin sat around the lantern.
    Kali was flexing her arm. She looked up at Lana. "I've never seen or felt anything like this. Not only is there no pain or soreness, but it feels at full strength. No fatigue. My other arm is still tired and my legs burn from the march but this arm is as if it had rested for days." She shook her head. "I owe you an apology."
    "Why?" asked Lana.
    "You're an outlander, a stranger. Everyone knows it and none of us in the militia felt we could trust you." Lana shrugged. "It's ok. It's not the first time I've run into that. I can't hide the fact I'm not from here."
    "No listen." Kali was insistent. "This is hard for me to say. There is a greatness about you. I know I was wrong about you. That is clear to me now. Not just that you have magic. I feel a purpose in you." Tobin was staring at them intently. "I agree milady. And I would add that your purpose or reason for being here feels right." His next statement caught her off guard. "Are you from another world, Lana Rhiane? Are you an Avatar returned?"
    "I'm .... what?" Her confusion must have been evident on her face. She knew the term but that was a bit of a leap. Kali was staring at her. "Yes that must be it. You're an Avatar aren't you?"
    Lana hesitated. "I am from very far away." She gauged her words and studied their faces for a reaction. "Yes, I'm from another world."
    Kali inhaled sharply. "I knew it!" "But," Lana continued, "I don't know why I'm here. And I'm not one of these Avatars everyone keeps referring too. One of these ancient heroes that are in all of your stories."
    "Lady you need have no fear of us." Tobin glance over at Kali, "you have our trust. We can see the good in you. It shines like this light you call out to when you fight."
    Kali nodded. "Just like the stories." They heard a low chuckle. Gentai walked into their circle. He looked at Kali, "Perimeter sweep done. No sign of kobold activity from the direction we came or any activity at all for that matter. This little ravine is a good spot. We are off the main valley and the main roads." He looked over at Lana. "You're the first outsider I have met in years. I didn't think you untrustworthy so much as undependable. How long with you stay Lady Lana? Will you have our back in a fight? Do you already serve someone else?" He lowered his massive frame down and sat on a nearby rock. "Your heart is good. I am clear on that. Now more than ever. Maybe you are an Avatar." He raised his hand to stall her protest. "Priestess we will call you if that makes you feel better." He chuckled, "Or Princess if you like."
    Lana threw a piece of bread at him. "I can live with Priestess. But I don't know how I can do what I do. I wasn't able to do this before ... back home. No one could ... except once."
    Gentai shrugged. "You are here. Now. You heal. You fight. And you speak your beliefs. Who am I to judge? I see that it works. You can count me as friend, Lana." The others nodded as she blushed. "Thank you. In Kiln they threw food at me and kicked me out. If I had stayed they threatened to put me in the stockade."
    Tobin had a big grin. "We have our own Avatar! This is truly grand!" Tobin's enthusiasm reminded Lana of how young he really was. Celestis Militia took anyone who could hold a weapon.
    "Hush Tobin!" said Kali. "Leave the lady be. Call her Priestess."
    Gentai stood up and stretched. He turned back towards the ridge to stand the rest of his watch. "The Avatars were great warriors. And now we have our own Avatar. This is an omen." He nodded to Lana. "A good omen, I think."
    "Good night lady Priestess Avatar," Tobin said with a huge grin as he tucked into his bedroll. "Don't make a habit of that, Tobin," scolded. Kali. "Yes, mother!" Lana heard him snort in his bedroll. Kali rolled her eyes. "Enough from you. I have midwatch and we leave after breakfast."
    06/09/14 - ch 2 first draft
    06/16/14 - ch 2 second draft
    06/17/14 - ch 2.5 second draft

-2-

Sunrise and a cold breakfast of hard bread, jerked venison, and fresh water led to the practiced rhythm of breaking camp and moving out. Up on the ridge it was getting warmer but crossing down through the valley they were still shrouded in the night's mist and the chill made them pick up their pace. The four of them circled clockwise to the north of Celestis. Orders were for the militia to only stay in the immediate hills around Celestis. Do not go into the forest to the West, do not cross the river Solace to the North, stay out of the swamps to the East (and keep to the foothills of the Whiteguard Mountains), and skirt Lake Celestis until they arrived at Solania before heading back into the city proper.

By her guess they were a good two or three days of walking from the town but it was hard to tell. Kali was sure of herself though and the others seemed completely unconcerned so Lana figured she wouldn't worry about it. Being in town usually made her nervous anyway. It had been difficult for her to really make friends with anyone. Everyone just called her "outlander" or "outsider" and sent her on her way. Only after she'd subdued a thief in front of everyone at the pub one night had she been grudgingly offered any respect.

They continued their north eastern course for the better part of the morning. Tobin said earlier that after lunch they would reach one of the small villages due north of Celestis - really just a few farming families that had built their homes near each other so they could work some small fields and fish the Solace.

"Guys I have to ask," said Lana. "How come it's so easy to spot me as an outlander?" She hiked up her pack and rolled her shoulders under her straps. "Is it the hair?"

Kali looked back, "Well the white hair is uncommon but I've seen it before. But you just have an exotic look to you. I can't begin to guess what island you are from. Definitely not Novia. And I've seen folk from the other islands. You are not them."

Gentai laughed a quick short but loud bark, "Ha! And you forget I was at the Vulgar Unicorn having a drink with Thompson's squad the night you thumped that thief."

He was the last of the group as they came over the hill and worked their way down into the valley and up the next hill. He continued, "I've never seen a woman throw that many punches in that little span of time. You have the look of a noblewoman. And exotic like Kali said. But you fight like a mercenary. And of course when you speak your accent is completely different." He laughed again. "And you called that thief a name no one had ever heard before but we all KNEW it was an insult."

"Yeah well that guy picked the wrong day. I was just in from Kiln where they drove me out. I was tired and hungry and then this thief fakes stumbling into me, squeezes my boobs, and cuts my purse loose thinking it would distract me." Directly ahead of her she saw Tobin's neck flush red.

Kali, stopping up ahead for a second to look around and glanced at Lana for a moment. "What was it that you called the thief?"

"Oh I called him a pencil-dicked douchebag." Lana shrugged. "I know - I don't cuss but that was my worst day in a very long time."

Gentai snorted, "Oh we gathered what a pencil-**** was but that is a new term. And you'll be happy to know a lot of the men in the barracks are calling each other that now." Lana laughed.

They reached a brook that they had come to at the bottom of the valley and took the opportunity to talk while they got a drink and refilled their canteens. Tobin, who had been quite up to now, asked, "What's a douchebag?"

Lana squinted at him. "Someone without much sense. Let's just leave it at that." Tobin nodded. "Just like when my uncle Karl called my Da dumber than a bag of farts after he took a torch into the hay loft."

Kali let a most unladylike belch startling some nearby birds. "See you are like 5 different people all mixed into one. And none of them are from around here. And you look different. So. Outlander."

Gentai nodded. "And the avatars were described as such. Walked between worlds the old tales say. Like you did. And you are a healer. And you have magic. You are different - but we'll make sure no one in town speaks ill of you." Kali nodded her agreement.

"And you are really pretty," Tobin blurted and flushed completely red when he realized what he had said. "I have to go pee." He left in a rush. Lana smiled over at Kali, "He's sweet."

"Oh you'll have half the men in town pining over you once they get used to you," said Kali, "and word spreads of your deeds. You're our Lana now. Gentai and I will make sure no one says a word to you crosswise or they answer to us." Gentai agreed, "Damn right they will."

Lana was touched by their loyalty. She'd been so lonely the entire time she had been here. For the first time since she had come here (years ago now or not that long?) she felt like she might actually have a chance of making friends and have a place she could stay for at least a while and call home. Kali signaled for them to head out.

Tobin came back and made busy going through his pack. He wouldn't make eye contact with her. "Thank you for the compliment, Tobin. You're a good man." He nodded, then flashed her a quick grin before following after Kali.

They worked their way up the hill and walked along the ridge for a few miles until their path took them back down. Lana addressed the group, "Hey I've been thinking about our fight last night and I was wondering if you guys would do me a favor." Kali nodded, "of course." The other two also agreed.

"Can we keep my magic quiet? And just call me Lana? Or sister if you have to. But Priestess is too much. That's too much for me. I'm not a leader or really good with people like that." She hesitated. "And I'm still learning about the Word and His will."

Tobin was quick to agree. No surprise there. Gentai was quiet. Obviously thinking. Kali was the only one who answered up right after. "Of course if that is what you want then we can keep quiet. But the squad leaders should at least know you have some basic healing skills and are good with that mace." Lana nodded. "Okay."

Gentai spoke up, "I suppose it can't hurt to keep quite for a while. But I will make sure the other squads know you are good in a fight. If you get pulled for a patrol with Thompson or Kefren, let them see for themselves your value." He grunted. "Yes. That will do. Show them who you are Lana. Or not. As the Oracle wills it."

She smiled at him. "As HE wills it, Gentai." He nodded with a grin. "Yes Lady Lana."

They arrived at the farmsteads and Lana could smell some kind of stew cooking on the breeze and could also hear a baby crying. Quite insistently.

"Ah that must be Kathryn's little brat," remarked Gentai. "Gentai!" exclaimed Kali. "What?" he shrugged. "She never should have gone off with the miller's son and all. Especially with her only being 14 summers. And now look at her. A mother and unwed." He shook his head.

Tobin looked over the fields as they walked in between the houses. "My Da would skin my little sister alive if she ever did that. She knows better."

One of the farmers, a grizzled, wiry man by the name of Navek looked up from where he was brushing down a horse and greeted them. "Ah another lost militia patrol. And conveniently found just in time for lunch." His big grin made them feel welcome and he ushered them into the nearest home. "Bella! The militia patrol is here! They have orders from Lord British to confiscate your stew!" He chuckled to himself.

Gentai looked over at Lana with a wink and a nod and patted his stomach. Clearly this was good stuff. Guess it was rather common for the militia patrol to show up right around lunch time. Lana went through two bowls of the most amazing stew she had tasted in recent memory. And it was hot! This patrol business wasn't turning out to be so bad after all.

Bella was catching up with Tobin on his family and the farms and families in their area south of Celestis. Kali was getting a word in between bites as well. Gentai, after he had finished, engaged Navek in conversation about the crossbow he had suspended over the hearth. Lana didn't feel like faking interest in a discussion about poundage and tension, and the farm talk left her feeling, well, like an outsider, so she took a look around the house and found Kathryn with her baby in the adjoining den.

Kathryn looked up at her, "I saw you come in with the patrol. You're new to the city?" She was young. She looked even younger than the 14 Gentai called her. But she was pretty and her auburn hair hung straight down framing warm eyes and a genuine smile.

"Yes," Lana nodded. She smiled down at the little baby girl and Kathryn. "I'm Lana. And that is an adorable little girl." Kathryn seemed a little hesitant. "I've never seen an outsider. But you are with the militia. How did you come to Celestis?"

"I came downriver from Kiln. Had to leave. They really didn't like me there." Lana motioned to the baby. "May I?" A look of alarm crossed Kathryn's face. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. Anya just settled down. She has been crying all morning and for the last several days actually." And you're an outsider. Lana waved off the concern. "My best friend had two kids. I learned to take care of them hanging out with her. Never ended up with one myself though." Kathryn seemed to debate with herself but in the end surrendered. "Ah well. Maybe you can comfort her."

Lana took the squirming bundle into her lap. "Well little Anya, my name is Lana!" The baby immediately grabbed a fistful of her long white hair and tried to stuff it in her mouth. "Wow she's strong!" Lana also noticed Anya's eyes were yellow and her skin tone was flushed and a touch yellow as well. "She seems to have a touch of jaundice. And is probably also colicky. That's why she is crying so much. It's very uncomfortable." Kathryn nodded, "Mother said she was colicky but what is jaundice? Is it bad?"

"No, just make sure she gets some sunlight. A little every day. Take her for walks outside, carry her with you. That will help." Lana cradled Anya in her lap. The baby looked up at her enthralled by the hair. With a gentle touch Lana rested her fingertips on Anya's forehead and her other hand rested lightly on her belly. Anya felt a little flushed and sweaty in addition to her yellow color. Lana let her senses spread through the baby's body and she concentrated on her condition. Her stomach hurt. Gas probably. A little constipated. Maybe it wasn't colic but that Kathryn was trying to feed her solid foods too soon.

She didn't want to alarm Kathryn with a prayer out loud so she tried something different. She sang. She made up a little song about a lost little sheep. In her head she prayed.

Lana made a playful singing voice, "Little little sheepy was lost in the hills."

Lord hear my prayer and heal this little one of her discomfort. Reach through your servant.

"The shepherd looked all day and was so happy when he finally found his little sheep!" She bounced Anya gently with her knees.

Fill me with your light Lord, and through me into her. Banish this shadow from her.

"The shepherd and the little sheep sang baa'd all the way back to the farm and had tea."

Kathryn laughed at her song. "That was cute. And look, Anya seems to be in better spirits!" She took the baby back. "Her color has improved too!" She beamed at Lana. "Thank you. I hope you come by again. You can visit us anytime."

Lana's fingers still tingled from the healing energy that had passed through her. She felt good about being able to pull of a heal like that. No one needs to know. "If she gets really yellow again and it doesn't clear up after a few days send someone to the city to get me. I'll come look at her again. But she should be ok - jaundice clears up by itself." Kathryn nodded. "Also if you are going to keep feeding her solid food stick with just oatmeal and boil it longer and make it runny. Add extra water to it. What you are feeding her now is giving her constipation and that is why she is crying so much."

Tobin stuck his head in the room. "Priestess - Kali says we are leaving." He waved at Kathryn then left.

"Priestess?" Asked Kathryn.

Lana shrugged. "They call me that. I have my faith but I'm hardly able to preach. I'm not one for talking in front of a lot of people." The young girl nodded in sympathy.

"Thank you, Lana." Anya was already sleeping in Kathryn's arms as Lana smiled back and went to join her companions outside.

2. Avatar Aiden

This forum posting software doesn't seem to be a good word processor. Or at least I am not good at using it yet. It's a pain in the butt with spacing and indents and format. :eek: OK twice sorry about the indents. I'm trying to fix them.

If I could just cut and paste with the formatting from Word (or something else). Any suggestions are welcome.

latest: a few other writers have said we are screwed with this forum posting software. I'll put in a ticket to see if I can get an official answer.

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Very nice! I would like to have more!

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Unfortunately, there is no way around the limitations of the forum posting software :( I prepare all of my stories in Word first, then cut and paste them here. All of the formatting is indeed lost and I have to waste a lot of time reformating the pasted text here o_O

By the way, I did enjoy this exciting start to your tale very much :D

Maka, Jambo, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Ch. 2 - Very nice, although I think introducing such (ahem) colorful language to the people of New Britannia is sure to draw some unwanted attention to yourself (i.e., probably not a good idea to continue doing so) :p Eagerly looking forward to see how this develops... I'm rooting for poor, lovesick Tobin o_O

Jivalax Azon, Maka, Jambo and 3 others like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*pulls up a rug lays down and dangles his feet in the air waiting to listen to more*
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Jivalax Azon, Maka and 4 others like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Awesome story!!! I like it! Torniquet "The Hospitlar" would love to have you in his party!

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Awesome story ShrineSeeker! I read both parts together :) Very likeable characters, and nice plot developing there.

Jivalax Azon, Maka, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  9. Avatar Aiden

Thank you sir! Definitely appreciate the encouragement!

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Loving your storytelling - can't wait for the next chapter!

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Really liked the additions to Ch. 2. Looking forward to Ch. 3 :)

12. Maka

Maka Avatar

@Shrineseeker, awesome read! Two suggestions. One, write more!!!!! Two, I think @TimeLord should be the miller's son. lol ;)

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well, Time Lord has been known to alter his appearance on occasion ;)

14. Avatar Aiden

OMG that's hilarious! Just what you guys need - illegitimate virtual children!

15. Maka

Maka Avatar

Now I'm wondering if we're all TimeLords illegitimate children. o_O

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not paying any back child support so just forget it :confused:
    *rethinks all the dependent tax deductions*
    "My Long Lost Son! Thank heavens ShrineSeeker found you!" :D
    ~Time Lord~o_O

17. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

You're a Time Lord... it would be past and future child support... ;)

Jivalax Azon, Maka, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  18. Avatar Aiden

Ok did a quick rewrite on the ending of ch 2. The baby scene flows a lot better and doesn't seem so rushed and also I feel the ending is solid enough I can roll into chapter 3 from here. Also deleting my rewrite (bump) posts. Just the latest one to keep y'all updated.

19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*the little Time Lord monk nestles back down on his rug to listen to the re-write of ShrineSeeker's story, yet looks slightly troubled as he thinks to himself "do I move around so much just to escape all my child support obligations* o_O
    *Smiles back at ShrineSeeker's story* :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Nice work! i love it!

Lana Rhiane and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.