Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Late comming but Overland Map - Slow and nights are WAY too Dark, also a simple scale map??

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Weins201, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Would lamplights along the road every so often help?

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

To be fair, alot of those posts are from the same few people, and you could easily put together a similar list of posts with different opinions that way

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Also i like the lamp light idea. Iif you can see in the dark already, torches, light, and night sight become useless

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Windows of houses of villages and cities should also be lit at night.

Alexander and FrostII like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

So.. Night is dark, no surprise there. I did a quick search on YouTube to see if anyone recorded a hike at night and came across this. YouTube Video

With that said, night time does not need to be a drag. If the lighting at night is done right is can be a spectacular place.
    1 - The Night sky should stand out and the stars be clear and easy to see.
    2 - Roads can be lit at intervals along the way.
    3 - Volcanoes and lava seen at a distance.
    4 - Silhouettes of trees and mountains where they meet the night sky can add definition to the surrounding areas.
    5 - Personal light sources can help illuminate the immediate surroundings adding to the mystery of what might lie beyond the circle of light.
    6 - Light sources from other elements such as towns, camp sites, odd lights from the swamps, etc.. can add intrigue and mystery as well.
    7 - Unexplainables (Dancing lights that blink and disappear into the woods, a light coloured haze coming off a body of water for some unknown reason, etc..)
    8 - Portals
    9 - Patrolling guards with torches

And more. The one thing about the dark is that it can highlight any light source that may exist. If there is none, then that's why we have torches, light spells, etc. Night can be a fantastic place, it just has to be done right.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It's become so unenjoyable, I only log in long enough to get the rare reward.

I stopped posting and complaining because it does no good, except it gains me a lot of enemies. :(

Beli, Ahuaeynjgkxs, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Sure, there are a lot of people in the forum that believes nothing the dev team produces is in need of a revamp.

There are a lot of people who are old and don't realize the new games these days are fun and fast, yet realistic. I mean, I don't have hours to get from one tiny village to the next. I feel like I'm an old disabled person if I try.

I'm no spring chicken, I'm past middle age. So I can insult my own age group. ;)

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No one here is saying there isn't room for improvement. The question is where that improvement should be. You say "night is too dark".. I say "light sources need work".

9. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Night for me was darker than it was for Weins201 pre R18 though if I cast light I could at least see and maneuver around. I also admit I thought the towns all lit up were both helpful in ambient light as well as pretty. Now when I zone out of Redmill which is close to Ardoris at night even with casting light and holding a torch I still cant see the road and still have trouble seeing which direction Ardoris is. I find myself asking my guildmates this time and time again "Which Direction is Ardoris?". So that now, if its night I just return home and log. No point in playing. Cant see to travel. I have a short time to do anything as a rule because of life. A few hours here, a few there. So instead I just facebook because at least there I don't have the restraints of night or crawling along. I know you have your reasons, but I have mine for playing and your making me rethink my reasons for playing.

Beli and FrostII like this.
  10. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Only on publish/release days. *winks*

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Yep - that's why I am seriously hoping that the new astronomical system will shed some light on things. With up to 10 moons in the sky - it should only very rarely have a true moonless dark night.

It is two sides of the same coin. Fix one and the other is also solved.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Possibly - if you could see them from a little distance, or a campfire shining through the woods, or a little moonlight from those 10 new moons we have.

13. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Agreed - very much so. But the current torch and light spells aren't even lighting the road at my feet. *sighs*

FrostII likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I wouldn't be adverse to personal light sources being a little overpowered on the map.

As for lights on the road.. I believe that's something that's been planned for quite a while now. I recall Richard talking about how turning them on and off would effect how safe roads were to travel at night.

Cagestorm and EMPstrike like this.
  15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

That's what I was thinking/hoping for as well. A moonlit map would be both immersive and you would be able to see where you were going. If you use a light spell or torch, that would make things even clearer: but they wouldn't be mandatory to see what you're doing.

Beli and Tazar like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

quoting this so i can like it again!
    But then i cant like my own posts. So ill jsut go see what's on youtube

17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If dark nights was the only issue, that's fairly easily fixed. I like it somewhat, except a torch really should light at least a radius around a person. The timing is also frustrating, in that night seems to dominate the overland map. If it's equal time light/dark, then it seems it dominates because it's frustrating.

The larger issue is the overland map. The length of time it takes to travel. I can clear a dungeon faster than it takes to walk a few villages away. Who wants to spend that much time walking in a game? Not me.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Albus

Albus Avatar

Improving light sources could be a big help here, while preserving darkness of night for different feel.

Day/Night cycles too fast IMO also, I'd rather day and night both lasted longer so the change seems less abrupt and frequent.

For travel times, I find the appearance of slow movement more annoying that actual progress time from point A to point B; if travel times are too fast, local economies will be less significant. For this I suggest a larger map with footspeed scaled to match, so our characters on the map look less like they are crawling slowly, map locations are more spread out "looking" (this could be helpful with 200+ player towns to be added to the map also, to avoid potential urban sprawl appearance). Larger maps will allow for additions of more points of interest or locations to explore being added without looking jammed all together, and with speed scaled to match our characters will look and feel far less sluggish in travel.

19. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

Personally I don’t mind the dark nights even though it makes navigation of the overworld map a real challenge at times. It would be nice to see some lights on the roads however as already mentioned.

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Amen to that ...... on a moon lit night you can see pretty darn good..... should be the same here, but this is a GAME after all, and people play to have fun, it isn't fun if you can't see dittles .... I don't like the darkness as it is either..... I usually log due to frustration.... Either expand the light from torches and the light spell, or give the players the Option to tweak the lighting the way we like it... you everyone is happy.....

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.