Latency Issues and Bosses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by disorder, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disorder

disorder Avatar

Hi,

As the tank for my group I have observed some odd behavior whenever I am not the host of the instance, even when my ping to the host (my friend, in the same region) is <100ms.

The most obvious example is the Ground Stomp/Slam abilities of Troll's etc...

When I am the host:
    Troll uses Ground Stomp. I jump. I avoid the damage, the knockdown and the confusion.

With any amount of latency:
    Troll uses Ground Stomp. I jump. I take full damage. I avoid the knockdown and the confusion.

The game knows I avoided the blow, as I am not knocked down, nor confused, but you will take the full damage every time.

This is the same with a lot of boss moves/mechanics that I believe are made to be avoidable. It simply does not seem possible if you are not the host.

Latency for the tank simply makes every boss type encounter harder, and it leads to a lot of frustration when you know what you are supposed to do to avoid something, execute successfully, and get hit anyway.

Just wondering if its just me, or does anyone else notice this stuff?

-Delarid Darkwood

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are you sure it's a stomp and not a kick?

3. golruul

golruul Avatar

OP, this happens to me every so often as well. I just hope it doesn't crit.

disorder likes this.
  4. disorder

disorder Avatar

Oh yes, very sure about it :)

Barugon likes this.
  5. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

You can feel the difference in every instance, no matter how many people are in the instance. If you are not the "boss" of the instance you lag way to much… at least as an european like i am, even with a very fast responding ISP like 4 ms.

6. disorder

disorder Avatar

Might be worth mentioning I am also a European. Maybe its talking back to a US based server for some things? Any US players experience these issues?

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is unfortunately no maybe about it.
    All things related to loot, health and combat resolution takes a trip to Austin, Texas and back.

You can see the diff in people streaming. When they run through crowds of enemies with area effect glyphs and speed looting.
    Then Americans get instant response while world players have to wait.

Vermine and disorder like this.
  8. disorder

disorder Avatar

Just seems strange that it does not effect me if I am the host. I am sure Chris/Atos could fix this with code magic :)

9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I think its VERY hard to fix, this is well-known problem is for years in SOTA, playing in another person friends mode is very hard, I try to avoid it. From my point of view then closer you and person who "own" instance to the server, than less you feel this problem. For me and my friends who live in Russia its almost impossible to play high level content due to this in other person friends mode sure high levels guys can adopt to it, but it is torture. Even If I will compare with open multiplayer mode, lags in other person friends mode are "10 times" higher for me.
    I can advise with troll one thing - start to jump as fast as you can, when you saw that he want to jump. You will still have a damage from hit(due to issue you noticed) but would not be affected by knockdown/confuse which is the main issue here.

Rentier likes this.
  10. Vero

Vero Avatar

works :) cool idea man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.