Let's talk fair crafting and gathering pricing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True, I have been on both sides of this. Crafters also love having the demand for their goods even though it is not for profit. However, unfortunate it is not possible to know that an item gifted in generously via a vendor gets consumed by the intended player or a scalper. I used to monitor who buys my stuff to make sure that I was not being a scalper's easy money. That is exhausting in itself. I feel bad for bands that want to keep ticket prices reasonable for their fans. Capitalism really sucks in this case.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Not a fun market when every char in game can do everything without limits. I mean, seriously... why would your labor be worth anything to anyone but you? Unless you/them are unguilded or have a recipe no one else has. Does anyone in this game even have a recipe that no one else has? Or atleast only a select few have? Last i checked nope.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Everyone can be a crafter.

Not everyone uses high end gear.

The low and mid range gear can use a lot of the same materials.

People will hold onto their mats thinking they will use them eventually. Because everyone can be a crafter.

It doesn’t take a huge amount of time to be able to your own gear. If you don’t use high end gear.

Setting prices probably should something that is handled at village/town/city level. Not the global level.

If a city is known for constant availability of both materials and gear. The traffic will happen and the prices will normalize.

Numa, Whitestag and nonaware like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is a good point. Perhaps I am wanting something that is not possible. However, hope for the better is what make life worth living. If I really wanted to subscribe to a society without empathy nor righteousness I would have to subscribe to dog eat dog savage mentality even in RL. But i refuse because empathy and hope exist in the most unlikely places everywhere. In the old days we used to call it honor.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

its to easy to be able to craft all the things currently.

you can say gm MW and enchant but...

if we get some things that have limited blue prints/ 150 skill lvl to craft it might help?

its just to easy to be able to make all the things currently. maybe the recipies being removed from vendors will have an effect but that will take a few more release cycles to know and lots more players.

I don't think a hard cap to skills solves this tho as alts are the easy answer

Tahru likes this.
  6. Elay

Elay Avatar

I think that's a good point, if the better gear requires you to be a much higher level to craft it, then less people will be able to make it and consequently the price should rise. The counter to that is that it could be easy for a small number of people to effectively corner the market.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Open question to everyone, how many sets of gear do you burn up in a month/year?

If I recall my WoW days correctly, I burned though early sets in a matter of a few days. Replacement was a constant fact of life. In Shroud the only reason I need a new set is because I've decided to use a different type of armor/weapon. Now, I'm not the huge adventurer, I'm a shop keeper, which is why I ask the question. Do adventurers burn up their gear ever? How many gold do they acquire in the course of one set of gear? Is the balance super out of whack? A million gold on a 50,000 worth of gear?

The first piece of advice I give new players is don't craft gear unless it's for yourself, or you're doing it just for fun, because you will not get your money out of it in this market.

That's why we usually sell furniture. It has a set price to make, and people who are decorating are willing to pay for that plus the markup in order to get it quickly.

But even with furniture, everything is moving slowly right now. You're not going to get rich crafting, that's all there is too it. Patience is a Virtue. If you're crafting gear, throw it in a trunk and wait, hope they implement decay one day. If you're crafting furniture, hope they implement decay one day for it too, or in a year or two that market is toast as well.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Honestly, I have never burnt out a single item. I do repair, but nothing had to be replaced since persistence.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Gear escalation is one of those things "people" consider a bad game design. Always chasing that upgrade means everything is gear dependent.

No Ultima game ever had a gear escalation. UO used a durability to force replacement. Which was not the path chosen for SotA because of a number of reason. I'd list the reason but it's more speculation and I'll stay away from that for now. I do remember what was stated during the kickstarter but that reason could have changed and the speculations make more sense anyway heh.

Mykll likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Not everyone can make everything, or has all the recipes, I trade people recipes they do not have often, and people some to shim, scoff, qwark and me for gear to be made for them often too.

Nemesis2 likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Ristra I will speculate. When gear maintenance was finally implemented the market was already flooded. Despite this, there was a mighty uproar about the possibility of us having to repair and replace, and so the Developers backed off. The market is flooded even more now, and will be forever if the current trajectory is held to.

@Tahru, if you want to make money at crafting, make furniture and consumables. There is no market for gear, and there won't be until things are adjusted.

@Mac2 yes, make gear for your friends and they will make them for you, that's about the extent of gear crafting for now, unless you subsidize the marketplace because you love crafting or are grinding your crafting XP. Or make a museum full of every type of gear imaginable, that will keep you busy for a while. I saw one recently and it was quite spectacular. :)

Sheamus McGuinness and Mykll like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ah, interesting, I just realized that that is making gear into furniture. Lol, that's a way to prop a tanked market up for a tiny bit longer.

Anyway, don't panic. They see the numbers and will eventually make some tweaks, but probably not until everyone is so tired of the 0 gear economy that they won't freak out about said tweaks.

Mykll likes this.
  14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

How will furniture decay work? Was anything said about it? Gear it decays while you use it, furniture... decays every time you "use" it or open up a container?

Every single game that has housing, crafting, and armour sets, I immediately want an armour set stand as a furniture item. Too few games that that extra next logical step.

Tahru likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Mykll likes this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Shim cannot keep up with keeping her vendor stocked with gear, scoffer is the person with the museum and is shims husband and does out blacksmithing. if your willing to take the hit on the price, and your skills are high, you will sell gear. You cannot tell me otherwise when I see it with my own eyes.

Nemesis2 likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The key to that is ....
    No questioning the rest of it. The thread is asking how can crafters get their cut without taking a loss. In the real world crafters mark up the cost of materials as the "bottom line" and then add in labor, talent and fame. Right now, it is impossible to sell crafted items for the cost of raw materials (cost being what it costs if one buys the materials from other vendors). I challenge anyone to say otherwise.

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes, I think that's what the point of the thread is. Some people subsidize the other players so that they get sales, but at a "hit" to their own pocket book.

In the end, all the crafters that would like to have a functioning economy suffer, and that's just how it is, they can be sad but they might as well face facts. This is know as "The race to the bottom," wherein some people will sell for less than what it took them to make it, just because it's a game and so who care? It doesn't work like this in real life because you can't produce enough as a hobby (only hobbiests would constantly sell under cost) to crash a national or world economy. Yeah, you might find someone that will work on your car for free, or super cheap, but most people have to go to a mechanic, and the mechanic is going to get paid.

It's fine by me, sad, but I don't really care much anymore. I stay out of the gear game because it was pretty easy to see that if you want to craft it, you have to subsidize others by taking a "hit," ie. selling gear for less than it cost you to make it, or you will just pile it up.

Love the museum though, that's what I meant by turning gear into furniture. It's super cool and well decorated. Great job!

Tahru likes this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Make tables.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I guess, probably won't happen though, did you hear the rucuss when gear finally started decaying? And that's a normally accepted thing. Imagine the lamentations if chairs broke down after a year of constant use. I know on one telethon RG said he thinks it should happen, but I could tell there was no way he would dare to anger the masses by going through with it.

Yes, good job Port for making it happen! There's an awesome museum in Seranite that shows a huge number of pieces.

Mykll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.