Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Light spell

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by ilcontegis, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

The light spell is really painful for the eyes. This extremely bright globe makes less light than a torch but is really disturbing.
    I would like to ask if it's possible to change it to something more normal such as Night Sight in UO.
    Thanks

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Night Vision is a low level Luna (Moon) Magic spell that has not been implemented yet.

But what's interesting is that you're even using a Light spell or a Torch because the game lighting is so inconsequential. There's really no need to use Light, Torch, or Night Vision.

I have proposed in other threads that because people seem so picking about lighting, some want it extra dark (like me) while others want it extra light. I think the best way to use lighting is to just make it so using a light source shows you where items and "stuff" are, and don't really impact your ability to see your surroundings. If that's the case, it doesn't really matter how visually pleasing it is to the average player. So the devs would then be free to meet requests like yours and dim the light sources.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

night vision is in the moon spell tree, which hasn't been added yet.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our Night Sight :oops:
    There were some early arguments about this exact request in the distant past, though I don't believe I had anything that was in those, so I don't have a link for them. I think I remember that this style was unpopular, but I can't remember all the reasoning behind it.
    Yet, if we are not to have an exact replica of it, or none at all, I would like to see a night sight potion that would create a temporary tunnel vision, where the player could see through the darkness at long range, yet have the light from the surounding screen go much darker. Such a potion could then have a 30 sec to 1 minute effect for scouting purposes, yet would limit the player from much of their peripheral vision.
    Sorry I can't provide more from that past argument... but as it's not here yet, I think it's still a matter for discussion ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

When I am inside a dungeon sometimes everything is really dark...
    I'll hope that night sight will be properly done so ^_^

6. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

The orb seems ok to me. I think daek places should be...well dark with a need to be illuminated. Otherwise why bother having a day/night cycle

Time Lord likes this.
  7. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

good thing all the good bits sparkle hmm.

i run through the gem mines all the time and i dont have that spell or use a torch since i duel wield. some tunnels get dark but not too bad,.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

Dungeons should be pitch black, unless there are torches (but there should not be torches everywhere). Night vision should be useless there.

Forrests should be dark, especially on cloudy night, but there should be glowing plants or bugs here and there. And if you use light source, there should be long range reflections (e.g. eyes of wolves!). Night vision would be perfect here.

Plains should not be much dark even at cloudy night, unless the clouds are really heavy. Nightvision should greatly improve your experience here.

There should be plenty of lightsources in cities.

I hope to see some Lightnings in stormy night, would be really cool.

What I miss mostly in the game is lightsources with larger area effect, it seems that light spells nakes me almost blind in dungeons and I see only few metres around myself. I would like to see directional lightsource (lantern with back mirror) that lets me see dozens of metres ahead... Still I would like to see bit further with torch or light spell.

9. smack

smack Avatar

I personally don't like the orb. I mean it's ok but yeah it can be annoying. There's nothing stopping them from making it invisible and you simply have a light emitted around you or even your entire body emitting a glow to light the surroundings. Plus, there are in-game objects that will glow and emit a light source. So why not your body vs. a physical floating orb? It could be both, because magic.

10. Net

Net Avatar

To be honest I hate how the orb sometimes floats behind a wall and everything gets dark...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Lord Colin

Lord Colin Avatar

I think the orbs need to be rethought.

Nobody who PvPs or who is in the PvP zones is going to use them due to the obvious target they become.

Night vision may be interesting, looking forward to seeing how it's implemented.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

This is the very reason why many people will use them;)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

unity 5. it will address lighting in a great way - i think things will start to even out with that. i'd wait for that release whenever it comes, it'll make all the difference in the world with it. can't wait, personally. doing the dungeon runs in braemar certainly rquire that in a non-combat slot and on almost the full time. i think the light distance could be a little larger too..

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Is there a way to turn the orb off before the timeout?

Net and Time Lord like this.
  15. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

i would like to see a sun spell that only lasts a few seconds, but illuminates everything in a 100 m radius

Net, ThurisazSheol and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:p After having tried this, it doesn't work... :oops:
    I tried casting a light over a creature's head and it didn't work, yet we can do that when targeting other Avatars.

I like the darkness and I never use a light illumination spell. I find that the light from the stars, Moon and sky to be enough for me to see as well as I need. I do think that our underground should be very dark, to pitch black, because I see very useful things that can come from dark adventuring. I would go as far to say that our pitch black is the same as stealth, but I find that creatures have no problems in finding me in the dark. So, somehow they do have night vision.

:rolleyes: Needed...

:rolleyes: Good thought...

:rolleyes: When I think of this... This idea would seem a good candidate for "a type" of night sight the OP is asking for...

I think there should be many "types", because some could fit inside one skill tree, but not in another. Say I was a stealthy skill based character... the night sight that allowed the individual to see but not others would seem appropriate. The illuminating self that smack speaks of, could provide greater distanced light than the current orb, yet cost more regents.

Our Give and Take of Light... o_O
    I also believe that different light sources should effect any creature's Argo (aka, aggression)...

Say there is a distanced illuminate such as Destroying Angel suggests, this illuminate would be great for any distanced or ranged attack, yet also increase the Argo of all monsters within it's radius.
    The "orb" could also have this effect, yet within it's range of illumination.

The Torch on the other hand, could decrease any creature's Argo, as that is what effect that actual fire has upon all living creatures.

Any stealthy night sight, could have a limit to it's radius of view, as in tunnel vision, as that is what anyone's natural night sight ability has within it's heightened effect. Yet when speaking about this effect in the real world, it is known that when attempting to see any particular thing in the dark, it is very helpful to move the eyes around the edges of what is wished to be better seen, which helps the brain place all the pieces together to make a better picture. I'm not sure how that natural effect could be implemented into the game's mechanics, yet it is worth mentioning because this is the way our sight works best at night within our real world.

So, I do feel that with every give, there must also be a take to stay closer to our game's intent to have risk vs reward...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

call it something like illuminating flare... shoots up like a flair gun, but only lasts a few seconds as you said. i'd love to see something like that, where youc an see a glow in the eyes facing you. :)

Time Lord and Destroying Angel like this.
  18. Borg

Borg Avatar

A night sight spell like in UO would be better than the actual annoying Orb.
    What is really painful for my eyes is the healing spell when casted in a dark area, I have to close my eyes or move my view out of screen.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the moon tree has nightvision, but isn't completed yet. it'll be there.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

wish you could cast light on an enemy lol

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.