Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Limitations to Quest Dialogue Format

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Asherdad, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asherdad

Asherdad Avatar

Before I state my concern I want to first state that I am enjoying R5. I have seen a lot of improvements and the game is fun!

Now to my concern. After speaking with Morgan, he gave me a quest to talk to Todd and discredit Myra's meat. Instead, I decided to tell Todd that Morgan's meat was bad. Unfortunately, the conversation system did not pick up on this and moved the story arc forward as if I had said that Myra's meat was bad. Now the issue for me is not that I could not state Morgan had bad meat. I get that their are limits. What I am concerned with is in a game like this where actions have consequences I am now stuck with a story arc where I am a tool who will sell out a stranger for cheaper fish:(. I could see this being very frustrating. In the overall game play, we do not know what the dialogue system will or will not understand. If we are confronted with a choice in game and make a decision and the game misunderstands what we say and registers us as making the opposite or a different decision that is potentially rage quit time. Especially if it has happened two or three time prior. In a game about vices and virtues we need to have control over what we choose and confidence that the game is understanding. Also, if we can't trust the game to register correctly our choices it limits creativity.

smack and Siriustar like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Very good point. Actions do have consequences and I like that. But this has more to do with the depth of the dialogue and quest that the designer created. What if you say sorry to the NPC and confessed? That's all really up to the quest designer. They need to create keyword/response dialogue for that sort of thing.

On a more general note, if we do go down the dark path, will there be a path for redemption? Will the NPCs we've hurt or slighted or acted against forgive us? It's really up to the NPC / quest designer and how much depth they want in the NPC personality, dialogue, etc.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I've mentioned this before. Keywords are nice and all, but they shouldn't could as an important dialog tree decision. They're interesting for free form probing of information but there needs to be some kind of pseudo menu system where you have to click <lie about the meat> or whatever. Otherwise it simply has no idea what your intent is.

Why (your intent) is very important. How (e.g. <be nice>) is somewhat important. What (the exact words) really doesn't matter. And the system should capture this.

Siriustar likes this.
  4. Asherdad

Asherdad Avatar

What do you all think of a rewind function. Something that allows you to undo your last text statement and with it any quest development that it might have triggered?

I realizemyouncould not do this with quest lines where results are immediate but with most desists ions you won't know how it affects you until later. In those situations it seems that a redo button might be in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.