Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Linux] [City map] eastmarch city map layers misalligned or improperly transformed

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by AoiBlue, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

03/05/2019 17:08
    Title: [Linux] [City map] eastmarch city map layers misalligned or improperly transformed
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details: [Linux] [city map] Eastmarch city map player housing layers misalligned or improperly transformed. Identified on Linux, likely affects other platforms.
    Steps to Reproduce:Enter Eastmarch.
    Load City map
    Note that the player housing related layers don't line up.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16032
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.23.0, 4.15.0-45-generic, LLVM 7.0.0) GPU RAM: 7967
    SotA.Linux.64.924.Date.03.04.19
    Area: Novia_R5_City_Eastmarch
    Area Display Name: Eastmarch
    Loc: (-38.2, 38.0, 277.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjVfQ2l0eV9FYXN0bWFyY2h8fCgtMzguMjEzLCAzOCwgMjc3LjIyOSl8KDAsIC0wLjA4OSwgMCwgMC45OTYpfDcxMC4yMDg0fDIzLjM5MTMyfDEuMjU=

As I've mentioned before, I suspect these errors are due to transform data generated in image compression being lost somewhere in the line.

The preferred method to deal with this is to preserve the transform data, but simply turning off transform-based optimization on your image layer compression should fix the issue with the cost of a small amount of compression.

Of course, even if this issue is fixed, it will take quite a while to replicate through all cities unless an (expensive) bulk rebuild of maps is forced. In you're shoes I would either put such a rebuild into a task at batch priority (i.e. absolute lowest priority) to minimize impact or simply do it next scheduled maintenance, as it is not worth bogging down the servers to fix.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@AoiBlue, the map bugs are not os-specific, no need to flag them so in the title.

3. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Hi @AoiBlue thanks for the report. Unfortunately the issues you are seeing have nothing to do with compression; they are just data issues that are a result of the convoluted process of taking static deed data from the game, combining it with dynamic (POT) data from the database, doing some coordinate system transforms, then finally doing more coordinate system transforms to display that information in the game. This thread talks a little about the process of how these coordinate systems interplay with one another but is not the end of the story. The bottom line is that a good chunk of the data is correct but some are problematic for reasons I haven't been able to track down yet (as they are a lower priority). I'll add this map to my list of oddballs.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The fix is still similar:
    Regenerate all maps (in background or in downtime) with proper rotation and scale metadata.

It's easier just to fix everything when so much is broken.

As a note, is the world really curved? If not, there is no real reason to use GIS Coordinate conversion. Instead you should just use flatten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.