[Linux] Interesting performance improvement on switching kernel.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AoiBlue, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I recently switched back the generic kernel from the low latency kernel on Ubuntu Linux, and performance is MUCH better on SoTA. This is especially so on I/O intensive tasks like lot loading and inventory listing.

I think looking into the difference between the two kernel builds might yield information on where the performance issues on Linux are coming from.

I probably should look into the differences myself later so I can list them here.

Ravenscar likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Interesting. I'll have to dig into what the differences are between those two are.

3. Archer

Archer Avatar

Low latency kernels have historically been intended for server scenarios, where "background" tasks get a faster response. Desktop computers should always use the normal (non low-latency) version of the kernel, so that foreground tasks (like games) get higher priority in terms of latency.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Barugon, that_shawn_guy and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

5. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

On Ubuntu they are tuned for audio production. However, they are good for a (very) narrow set of High Performance Compute server tasks as well.

Some RT patches are mainlined already in Linux, but not all. The basic RT base system is mainlined, but disabled in many default builds. The stuff to take advantage of it in drivers has not been mainlined.

There is one specific feature on the low-latency kernel I would like to see moved.

As a note, the nVidia GTX Driver for Windows does some stuff to mess with latency functions of Windows in order to reduce latency for first person shooters. Despite being very different operating systems, there are still elements similar enough that certain behaviors (such as the use of a substantially smaller timeslice) might rub Unity the wrong way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.