Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux - Most of the guards are deformed

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Debcool, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Title: Linux - Most of the guards are deformed
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No.
    Details: This is completly random. In the same place some are and some are not deformed. I found some in Soltown, Braemar, Resolute... but none in Ardoris.
    Steps to Reproduce: Go in different places and look at the guards.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-3770
    RAM: 16 Go
    GPU: GeForce GTX 760 2Go

2. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

@Debcool, the random deformed guard in the Linux client has been a known issue, but for some reason I can't find it on the R32 known issues list or on the recent patch known issues list. Last night on patch 455, Stanley the guard in Soltown was deformed, but today on patch 456 he looked normal. But this could just be random behavior as many have reported. However, Attenwood and Serafina have confirmed in the forums since R30 that it is a known issue. See the following:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...1-linux-graphics-glitching.56138/#post-603783
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...guard-graphic-still-extant.53617/#post-585103
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...formed-guards-in-owls-head.51695/#post-569787

strabo and Debcool like this.
  3. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

It might be that they need a reminder regarding this issue. In any case, I am experiencing it as well.

@oneandonly @Attenwood Is there a fix for this in the works? At least put it in the known issues notes?

64 bit Gentoo Linux (kernel 4.7.0)
    NVIDIA driver 367.35
    Resolution fullscreen 2560x1440
    Graphics quality is set to "Beautiful"
    64GB RAM

strabo and Debcool like this.
  4. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

FYI, as of patch 458, some Linux issues seem to be fixed. But I just checked Soltown a few minutes ago, and a deformed Stanley the guard was on a rock in the middle of the lake, his weird location being a different issue.

Debcool likes this.
  5. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Thanks for your links but this is not what happening to me. What I meant was that they are stretch and deformed but I haven't got any flickering nor black blocks.

Edit: It seems that it is also random on the same charater. I mean one time a character is deformed and another time it appears normal. e.g the guard on the left (when entering) in Resolute.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. balasarius

balasarius Avatar

I got the same issue with deformed and flickering guard in Soltown. I have just been transiting from a ATI Graphics card to a Nvidia Graphics cards.
    • with the ATI I get flickering and black blocks across the screen which originates from the string mess that is supposed to be there models and only when a guard is in the rendered window even if they are behind something like a building they will still flicker across the screen, if I look away so they are no longer in the rendering window then it all stops.
    • with the Nvidia the guards are simply deformed mess (with stanley last I checked it apeers the model is trying to get clear of the sword he has equipped as in the model morphs around the sword)
    Spec:
    • CPU: 4 Ghz AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    • RAM: 16 Gb DDR3
    • Old ATI Graphics: Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    • New Nvidia Graphics: Nvidia GTX Geforce 950 STRIX 2GB
    Hope this helps the dev work this one out, it is not really a show stopper when using a Nvidia card but ATI card... it is headache inducing if not worse

7. Dreeshna

Dreeshna Avatar

Guys, I can ask a question? you who have linux, (bug graphics separately) will lag in the cities as Soltown and Ardoris? o_O
    I ask because I see that many of you have very high performance PC. :rolleyes:

8. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

9. Debcool

Debcool Avatar

Not sure what you mean exactly but:

SotA is supposed to be developed only for Ubuntu Linux but obviously most of us are using other distros (Debian, Fedora...) wich also means that we are using different kernels, video drivers... So the same rig used with different distros = different results and not necesseraly the same issues.
    Not all the bugs are found, reported and/or accurately reported (it depends on the way the users observe and report them).
    The engine used to developed SotA is known to currently have issues on Linux.
    SotA is not optimzed nor stable yet, still in pre-alpha development.

But most of all, keep in mind that minorities (linux and MacOS) are not the primary targets in a business model wich means that the investements of time/ressouces/money are quite lower... but it does not means they are inexistent. My guess is that once we will be closer and closer to the final released these things will improved dramaticaly.

All in all, I 'll put a note of 6/10 for the current situation on Linux (wich actualy is quite good according to the difficulties mentioned earlier).

I hope it is answering a bit your questions.

A+
    Debcool

Dreeshna likes this.
  10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I simply have a powerful computer due to it being an interest of mine, I build my own computers and like to overclock, watercool and such. If I can go overkill on the hardware, I generally will. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.