Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux + Steam feedback.

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Turellium, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turellium

Turellium Avatar

So I bought SotA this last friday from Steam.

I been trying many versions and having a really tough time as a new linux user to get the game to run through the Steam Launcher..

1. Is there any way you can make the SotA Linux version available to Steam users without having to use the Steam launcher?

2. Is there any way you can pressure STEAM to update their Libraries, BUG's, ect for Ubuntu 16?

3. Is there any chance you could start up a Linux (Ubuntu) forum section dedicated only to the Linux version so other players can get help from the more knowledgable players on Linux Version?

Thats all I had for now. I'm never going back to windows, so please dont give up on SotA for Linux. It will be the best game Linux has ever had if you don't give up on it!!! Do it for us, do it for the future! Thank you.

2. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

At present it is a Unity issue. They have someone looking into it, but it might take a while.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Turellium

Turellium Avatar

Thanks, guess its just a waiting game on unity then. I been looking up alot of stuff, alot to learn here, might keep me busy whole next month just reading.

Found some stuff out on my topic #'s above.

1. I see we can use SotA without steam if we want, thats a good thing.

2. I did manage to download Ubuntu 12.04 LTS the I386 32-bit version and run steam without any error of the steam client. Is this the Ubuntu version that will be supported for the STEAM version? Or was there any differant OS for Ubuntu versions that were going to be given top priority?

3. Still would like to see a Linux exclusive forum section added, would make looking stuff up on versions alot easier for me.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can download and run the stand-alone Linux client.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you must use a 64-bit OS.

6. Turellium

Turellium Avatar

This is probably why playing this game without the STEAM client would be more preferable. What Linux 64-bit OS would you suggest running SotA on with the least amount of errors in it?

7. Turellium

Turellium Avatar

Actually I'll post more on this in a differant forum thread, not sure which one yet. Need a linux forum section.

8. Alley Oop

i have not seen any linux errors, these past few years, that was distro-specific. they always seem to be linked to unity. run what you like.

9. Turellium

Turellium Avatar

Thank you. I did try Ubuntu 16 ran it in STEAM and had a black screen and then it just froze up after 10 seconds or so.
    Then I tried 12.04 64-bit Ubuntu in STEAM and it seemed to want to launch but then quickly just flashed a black screen and then shut down.
    Then I tried the stand alone in Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, I got it to launch but then it shut down after 4/7 on update launcher. BEST TRY SO FAR
    Then I tried 12.04 32-bit Ubuntu in STEAM and it seemed to want to launch but then quickly just flashed a black screen and then shut down again.
    Now that you said this, I'm glad to hear this.
    This means the standalone is what I really need to run, and to fix the 4/7 update, I just need to uninstall and reinstall it like the R30 patch notes said for that error.
    Will try Ubuntu 16.04 next and just run the stand alone, to see if that works.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

@Turellium

It works in Ubuntu 16.04. There is a known problem with STEAM that the client will crash on launch. It is not the game, but rather steam that is having the issue. You can run the program directly from within the steam folder - not using steam - by launching:
    /home/{YourUsername}/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar.x86_64

You can do that from a terminal or lookup how to make a desktop shortcut. I just made a shortcut in the SotA folder and moved it to my Desktop but there are other ways to pull it off.

Also, I have found that if I just keep launching it from steam it will eventually run. Sometimes takes 6-10 times, other times it works the first or second time and sometimes not at all... But always works from the shortcut I made directly to the executable.

I hope you've read the Linux bugs section so you know what to expect going in and the neat work-a-rounds we have for some play in the game right now.

Best of luck to you! Tag me if you need any other help getting it going.

Edit: I haven't had an issue with Steam keeping the client up to date. I have it set to do that automatically and in the background. It just won't launch the game sometimes.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

If you'd like to know what version your game is at, I believe it is displayed properly in the file: /home/{user}/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/gameversion.txt

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Why you jumped from the ancient 12.04 LTS to the still shaky 16.04?

What about the great 14.04 LTS? The one I'm using, incidentally...

13. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

There are some issues with the stand alone client.
    The latest 64 bit versions of Ubuntu, Cent0S, and Mint the stand alone client doesn't work out of the box. It fails discovering joystick devices.
    You can work sometimes around this somewhat by Manually running the 32 bit client letting it crash then going back to the 64 bit client.

Steam version on Ubuntu is the only one that seems to work correctly on a clean install, for R29 & R30

Steam version on Cent and Mint has the same black screen fail to start crash to desktop issue.
    (Again it looking for Joystick devices when it dies)
    Old existing installs don't have this issue, and Manually running the 32 bit client (either the one in steam by bypassing steam and running directly, or stand alone version) will get past the search for Joysticks before it crashes, then rebooting, seems to fix both the steam and standalone 64 bit versions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  14. Alley Oop

is that not the pulseaudio bug?

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  15. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Edit it looks remarkably similar to that bug, the the workaround didn't need pulseaudio changes, or upgrades or anything, So I'm still going to say no.

Nope, the 64 bit client tries to enumerate Joystick devices, and then hangs until crash.
    The 32 bit client also tries to enumerate the Joystick devices, but returns an error code when it fails.
    Apperently this writes something to some file somewhere, because afterwards the Joystick device enumeration completes instantly and the 64 bit version of the game starts working correctly afterwards.

Please note you only see this error on clean installs.
    After you get it working once, this error goes away forever.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.