Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Linux - Strange mouse behavior in mouselook mode

Discussion in 'Release 38 Bug Forum' started by mercster, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercster

mercster Avatar

2/4/2017 3:53 PM
    Title: Linux - Strange mouse behavior in mouselook mode
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details: When in mouselook mode (no cursor), there seems to be a strange issue regarding the "hidden" cursor. When the game starts (or after alt-tabbing out and back in), there is a limit to how many times the camera can be spun around. At some point (probably depending upon mouse X-axis sensitivity, though this seems inconsistent and broken in Linux as well) the camera will stop rotating. It is as if the "hidden" cursor has reached either side of the game window and will not turn any further. Using the     

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  2. mercster

mercster Avatar

It's something to do with, after alt-tabbing to another window and alt-tabbing back to SotA, the mouse is not fully handed back over to the SotA client. It is invisible (mouse look mode) and indeed spins the camera around the avatar, but at a much too fast rate (the rate at which the mouse pointer moves across the screen when outside the game) and the invisible pointer is constrained by the sides of the desktop. Giving full focus back to the SotA window (such as hitting [ESC] to bring up the options menu, or toggling the mouse cursor with     

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Thanks. Forwarded for review 6/2/2017

4. mercster

mercster Avatar

Edited original bug with info...this is likely to happen in any Linux Xwindow environment.

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I experience this behavior since the last time Port modified the reticle system and used TAB as "mode switch" between cursor and free view.

My workaround is to hit TAB twice right after alt-tabbing back in SotA.

The "limited spin" mode also spins the view faster than the standard, unlimited mode. You instantly recognize the glitch by its angular momentum.

As Merc said, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with "baked cursor grabbing" by the app, compared to raw mouse events.

mercster likes this.
  6. mercster

mercster Avatar

I have "Toggle cursor mode" on and key set to G, so I just tap G to do the same thing. ;-)

Yep...it's faster and set to your desktop's mouse pointer acceleration speed. You can almost imagine the mouse cursor moving across the SOTA window and "hitting" the side of your display, stopping the spin. Very annoying.

Thanks @Katrina Bekers !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.