Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Loading Zones

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm assuming that one of the optimizations that has been made in R16 - R17 is to front load the bare minimum number of assets needed to enter a scene. This helps reduce loading times and makes it easier on machines using the minimum requirements to play the game.

That's fine, but I have two concerns about this.

1. The moment you move anywhere you still have to load more assets. This causes lag and unstable play. So my personal preference would be to just keep loading the scene without actually entering it. I'd much rather have a longer loading time than a poor game playing experience (even if it's just for the first 30 seconds of entering a scene).

2. I feel like once PVP really gets going this is going to be a HUGE disadvantage to players entering a scene. This is because players that have already loaded everything will be able to camp out spawn zones and get the drop on people "loading" additional assets as they enter the scene.

My preference here would be to A) load all assets of the scene before entering it, and B) enter the scene FULLY invisible but not able to move, for the first 5 seconds. Then allow movement for 5 seconds after that (enough to exit thet scene) before becoming visible again. Yes, it's an additional delay so maybe you'd allow people to turn this off as an option. But over all what it should do is give players a chance to finish loading assets without being ganked while they're unable to defend themselves.

Ice Queen and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I prefer to be able to move as soon as possible, even in a stuttering environment. I was so glad for the much shorter loading times in R17!

The PVP concern is real, tho. It will be exploited, there's no doubt about it.

What about this crude decision tree:

Is the scene PVP?

Yes: loading as old R16​
    No: Is the player flagged for PVP?​

Yes: loading as old R16​
    No: loading as new R17​

It may work?

Net likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I just want the option to load first...I don't mind the wait times, I have a very healthy attention span. Ideally, everything that could be loaded would be, before I enter the scene.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

An option is always welcomed! :)

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

It would be nice to have option to "confirm" you want to enter the scene once you load it. With longer loading times I tend to go check up on forums and do other things and I do not like seeing my dead body after a long loading time:) Once I get beack to the game I want to get to playing, not another loading or waiting to be revived.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.