Looking for armor

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by rayxor, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayxor

rayxor Avatar

I just came back and im working on a new character build
    Im trying to make a heavy armor character that can cast earth-life-sun - moon. Im trying to base the looks off how I played the old ultima series games as the avatar, hence the heavy armor.

Im having a hard time finding chainmail, and this would reduce my fizzle percentage instead of wearing just full plate.
    Ideally I see myself using a sword and shield, and swapping to a bow. The shield causes too much fizzle, so im currently using a 2h sword and swapping to a bow and wearing leather. I think for now I'll just mainly use my bow, and dual wield once I can get my parry up enough. I would also like to have a deck for sword and board, but it really kills most of the magic schools, but the look of it i think is the most fitting.

for some reason I cant find chainmail. I have a pair of white iron augmented chain leggings, but thats it for chain. I found these on a vendor in soltown, and they were quite expensive.. but rightly so. Id like to wear a plate chest because i have an obsidian order chest pattern i would like to wear.

I tend to build characters on aesthetics. As long as I can get the appearance, i'll work around the skills. If any of you crafters can help me out, I'd appreciate it immensely.
    Im looking for a plate chest and boots, chain helm and gloves. I have the legs already.
    my characters name is Raven LeRouge

I dont need anything crazy expensive, but I *edit* CAN offer coto's or gold. that white iron piece i have would absolutely be my limit considering how much it cost. even thats a stretch.

(I cant believe i put cant instead of can ... yes i expect to pay for things)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  2. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Morning @rayxor, hope you are enjoying your return. A couple of things for ya.
    Especially with recent changes, you can make your armor look any way you want to with the use of Patterns. So feel free to browse the coto store and the wiki to get familiar with what all is out there. You can even put cloth patterns on heavy armor now so no need to sacrifice form for fashion anymore.
    I am happy to help ya craft armor. I enjoy crafting and just need the mats. If you need help gathering materials, just friend me in-game and we can go kills some stuffs to help ya get it rounded up.
    here is an example of what you would need if you decide to get a set of white iron chain armor, but there are many options towards making a set for your play style. These are the mats you will need to craft one of each but it may take a few tries to get viable pieces.
    Let me know if i can lend a hand, always happy to.
    [​IMG]

Time Lord and rayxor like this.
  3. rayxor

rayxor Avatar

wow, ok so ya this is definitely something i didnt know about applying patterns on non-matching gear!
    This is likely going to change my approach quite a bit. I wish there were benefits from mix matching gear (half cloth, half plate) but it looks like the skills are being dictated by the chest piece alone and theres no way to use both skill trees.

anyway, thanks a lot for letting me know this.

Time Lord, Elgarion and Barugon like this.
  4. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Yes, the vendor system needs a great deal of work, in somehow making players aware of what is for sale, especially at individual vendors in each town.
    I like chain as well, and have been working on a couple of pieces, to build my blacksmithing skills. Some things work better than others, as you probably have found.
    I know that there are many crafting avatars who make better stuff than I do, but again, their vendors are difficult to find.
    In my early game days, it was very time consuming as was all the loss factor of the early crafting tables. Even now the "cost" of materials is quite high.
    I hope that you find what you need, or learn which metal mix serves you best so that when you find a crafting avatar you could "custom" order a set of base armor that has the appearance that you want and the abilities that comes with the various mixes.

Time Lord, Elgarion and Elwyn like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

On top of that, you get a +25% bonus to certain armor skills for wearing a full set. That bonus drops fast when you remove items. So, if you use heavy armor skills then stick to all heavy armor, if you use light armor skills then stick to all light armor.

6. mydentist

mydentist Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia !

Come visit our fair city of Nauvoo near the solace bridge outskirts. It’s a city designed to help new players. There you will find a price discounted selection of plate armor fully enchanted and master worked for prices that a new player can afford.

We also have merchants selling crafting components, inexpensive horse mounts, potions, and much much more to aid you on your journey for your shroud of the avatar.

Experienced players, please skip over our merchants. The prices are set to help new players experience more of what makes Shroud great in the hope that they get hooked like the rest of us. Lord British knows we need more of us :)

Lead on adventurer!

— Jimmy Wicker

7. SilverFrog

SilverFrog Avatar

I finished my first part of the Bridge and got my deed , was out exploring and found your town . Loads of information and very helpful .
    Thank you !

8. mydentist

mydentist Avatar

Glad to hear it. Send me an in-game note if you need any additional help. Glad to have you adventuring with us!

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.