Lord British and Darkstarr Statues

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by bwtdozer, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

I was looking at the add-on store drooling over all the schtuff I would like to purchase if I had the extra cash (tax refund soon so maybe...). When I got to the statues section an idea hit me.

Why don't we have statues of LB and DS that we can purchase. Both tabletop and various lot sized ones. They could be posed in their respective salutes. And should be an easy asset to create for some quick sales

What shrine to order or chaos would be complete if it didn't have a statue of the champions of those causes?

The tabletop version could also be a quest reward for a continuation of the Students of Virtues Books Quest in Ardoris (or Deep Savrenoc for the chaos version). Once that quest is done you get sent to the three cities that represent Love, Courage, Truth to do a quest that explains how order (or chaos) interacts with each of the virtues. Once all three are complete then you return to Ardoris to get your LB tabletop statue (or Deep Savrenoc for your DS tabletop statue).

@RichardGarriott @DarkStarr make it happen! :D

2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Part of the reason is we haven't actually seen the in-game versions of both Lord British and Darkstarr in Novia. We were told awhile back that Lord British is actually on another continent, so while he'll be referenced in the story, we won't meet or see him until later releases down the road.

It would be cool (and something that @rild actually brought up recently) to have some 3D printed versions of important characters from the game.

3. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

Yes but many NPCs know of Lord British even as just a myth or a legend and Darkstarr will be floating around in his Queen so he should be known around Novia. The LB statue could be based on an ancient relic once found if there is a need for lore to play a part. In real life we have statues of gnomes for our gardens. I've never seen a gnome in real life but I can have a statue of one. :p So we could easily have an LB statue based off of his myth.

4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Better be 7 feet tall and shooting lighting from his arse :p

Beaumaris, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  5. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

It would be really cool if you craft a statue of any character performing an emote if they pose for you or you have another statue to work from.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

+1 :)!
    Clay should do also :D Even a self sculpture!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Mata, Leelu and Beaumaris like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think 'dozer is on to something in the opening post. Expecting to see statues of Lord British and Darkstarr now (not when they appear later) makes total sense to me.

Consider a similar example. For those familiar with the Narnia Chronicles, time passed much faster in Narnia than on Earth. This meant that as Narnian civilization advanced throughout the stories, the deeds the main characters had done in the first book fell into Narnian legend and lore later in the series. This despite the main characters (the kids) not aging through the series all that much at a normal Earth pace.

Is the situation in SOTA similar?

We know that Avatars are from Earth and time passes more quickly in Novia. If LB and DS were the first avatars to Novia, has time ticked by quickly enough in Novia that their deeds have fallen into legend? If so, should we expect to find a statue built in memory of those deeds? Indeed we see signs that deeds happened as NPCs have a fuzzy memory of LB and DS. Although evidence elsewhere in the world seems lacking.

In this context, I think it makes sense for LB and DS statues to exist (and potentially show up in the add on store in a limited way). We don't need to see LB and DS in game now to justify it. If they were the first Avatars, they should have made some impact on Novian history by now. The question for me is not if they should exist, but what meaning is attached to them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    bwtdozer and Time Lord like this.
  8. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

I think the invention of the Novian version of home security just occurred. Place this 7 ft statue of LB on your lot. Attune it to you and your friends list. Anyone else that steps foot on your property gets a face full of lightning. :D

Cool idea. Could definitely be part of an Episode 2 crafting skill tree addition.

Adding an in-game meaning/lore reason for an add-on store item is a huge bonus in my book. I suggested these because new add-on assets are (for the time being) going to be those that don't take too much time to create (ie uses already existing assets or those that had to be created anyways). Thought these would be an easy to create add-on that wouldn't take up a huge amount of dev resources and would probably sell well.

When I first joined SOTA just over a year ago one of my first player events I went to was an @Amber Raine Church of the Darkstarr event. A statue to DS would have made for a great focal piece to this event. If a similar Church of Order existed similarly a LB statue could be a good focal piece for any setting that hosted such meetings.

Team LB vs Team DS part Deux anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.