Losing things while decorating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saxon, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saxon

Saxon Avatar

Hey I'm wondering ... has anyone actually lost an item while decorating their house?
    I was putting up an ornate iron wall lamp (cash store item!) and when I tried to place it .. it disappeared!

Looked all over the house even outside... left town and logged out and came back and its still missing. Not in my bank either ... kinda sucks buying something with real money then it just goes poof lol ... I'm glad it wasn't something more expensive!

This is fairly unsettling to me as if this was say a novia painting your out around 50 bucks!

I know taking my house down may bring it back into my bank account with the rest of my deco... but I've spent hours decorating and having to redecorate just for a few dollar item really isn't worth it :(

iansmellios, Hornpipe, Acred and 2 others like this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

yes i have lost 3 things before. One was a stone slab i was trying to place close to wall outside..it disappeared and i looked all over for it, it was found on the second floor of my house! I also lost a light that i was setting into a wall, that went but i found it the other side of the house and i also lost a planter pot with apple tree in....that was never found...

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Sometimes when doing decorations and dragging objects the collision detection of the surface fails and you go behind the current surface. This is especially true when you have lots of items on the lot already and are placing at an angle vs floor or wall.

When that happens the object is below/behind the surface and if you right then release the mouse the object will be placed at that surface below/behind that you cannot see.

Reported this on numerous occasions back before persistance. Also had some solid replication scenearios. (30'-60' angle placing a rug from above seemed the easiest).
    The devs never seemed to be able to replicate/find the underlying issue.

So I'm very very very careful never to release unless I see a green surface otherwise I always drag back and drop in my inventory.
    I also nowadays have the habit to always face the surface straight on.

But back to you. The only easy way to get it back is to contact
    support@portalarium.com
    be sure to click the Report Bug or in char write /bug so that you get it into the clipboard for an easy paste into the mail to give them the exact location where you were standing when it occured. That way they can use a dev tool and check behind stuff to see it. Make sure to have the exact name of the object to make it as easy as possible for them.

The only other way if you don't want to contact support is to change the building, which then sends all objects on the lot to your bank. But then you'd have to redo all your decorations.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I sometimes lose stuff under the stairs.

Ravalox, Hornpipe, Acred and 2 others like this.
  5. Saxon

Saxon Avatar

Thanks for the replies!
    I'm definitely going to be much more careful placing decorations in the future... Strange that a light I was placing on a blank wall straight ahead of me would go missing ... I'm almost certain it was green as well when I placed it.

I'll do as you suggested Spoon thanks!

Bow Vale, Hornpipe, Acred and 2 others like this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Basically what this guy said

ive accidentally lost chests in the walls of the house. lol

Tiki Pirate, Hornpipe, Acred and 2 others like this.
  7. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

One day I moused over a bed and saw I had a coto hidden under the pillow. I thought the tooth fairy left me a present. It was literally under pillow and I noticed the text by my curser.

I guess what really happened was I was checking out using the coto as deco a while back and thought I dropped it back in inventory but dropped it on bed and could not see it.

Was like finding a dollar in my jacket pocket I forgot about.

8. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I had this happen when placing a pet. It was under the house so I coudn't recover it... so, I ended up removing the house and all contents as I needed that npc slot back to place another pet. It was in the bank after clearing the house, but still a pain to redeco everything.

Numa, Hornpipe, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I once lost a rug I was placing. I later found it upstairs on the floor above where I was placing it.

Numa and Saxon like this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I've had this happen with a medium planter I was trying to fit under some stairs lol! Almost worked, then it disappeared when I adjusted the placement just a bit...
    What we need is a button that picks up the VERY LAST ITEM you placed... that would solve this problem well enough...

Matt Harris, Womby and Saxon like this.
  11. Jamist

Jamist Avatar

Contacting support is your best option but not always going to get the results you seek. I lost 100 COTOS with a merchant trade, contacted support and apparently since I didn't have a screen shot of the moment it disappeared they just stopped replying to me. I had hoped that if they investigated my accounts they would have concluded that someone that has invested 14-15K over a couple accounts would not be out to take advantage. The $85 was not a huge loss for me so I just moved on., Point being, with the game in its current condition, we all risk items simply escaping into cyber space and lost forever, regardless if its loot from a bad guy or COTOS from the add-on store.

12. Saxon

Saxon Avatar

Good idea or some sort of tool that would show all the items placed in your house and you could pick it out and place it in your inventory ... would be very helpful.

Cassandra Corax likes this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Lost a writing desk. I believe the stairs ate it :confused:

14. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

To my horror I opened a chest in my house that contains crafting mats and deco items - and it was empty! I was freaking out, checking container permissions, etc - then I realized I had somehow hit 'e' and moved everything to my inventory! Doh...

Yes, lost a wall candle in a wall once too, got it back via the bank when I changed houses.

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yep this happened to me, I reported it as a bug: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-elven-village-keep-jumped-to-2nd-floor.75871

While trying to replicate it, the rug got caught UNDERNEATH the floor of my house! @Attenwood said he couldn't recover it since I had set everything as private, and offered to retrieve it for me later. Wasn't too worried about the rug (except maybe it would count negatively towards item counts?) but it's definitely a thing. Make sure you have that green outline/shadow thing on screen before you place.

16. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    At times the walls seem not solid and the item goes right through I had that on some occasion but they ether reappear when I log in and out or can be found on a different floor. yes be mindful when placing and make sure you report the bug and hopefully it will be sorted one day

17. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    that maybe the answer. If you still cant find the item just chance your lots house on it then everything will go into your bank and be sorted

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Just FYI I have items go under stairs, thru walls, . . . and a few other weird things when placing.

As stated make sure you check Inv to ensure it went somewhere.

If you cannot bring it up with cursor or more you can and should report it as a bug and make sure you are in the exact spot or can stand where you think it should be they can go there and find it.

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I had a dream last night that there was an undo and redo buttons on the lower right corner gump that at least stack up to 10 actions.

Was disappointed after woke up...

Fister Magee and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.