Lum was right about protecting cats to begin with

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albus, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albus

Albus Avatar

Cats, dogs, domesticated pet animals should *not* be open season in the towns. Note this is not just about the bug where NPC's kill them, but about player characters killing them *in towns* as well. If this is supposed to be "realism," how can people kill cats and dogs on the open streets, spraying blood over the cobbles, and guards do nothing? I am sorry, the negative far outweighs any "positive" in this, as people who care for domesticated pet animals will be easily more offended about this than any gain other players may have in slaying these animals. Some players learning about this will doubtless be put off enough not even to try the game (If this "feature" had been present before I pledged to SoTA, I may well have never looked this way again).

If slaying these animals is supposed to support some sort of outlaw "let me do anything" attitute - again, real authorities would not just let people wantonly kill such animals on the street without consequence - then *all* creatures and NPC's should be open targets as well, not just helpless cats and dogs. I am pro-realism, killing cats on the open streets of cities is not that.

I would support removing cats and dogs from the game rather than seeing the slaughtered before our eyes with no way for us to stop it. It is not realism, it makes for one bloody ugly environment, and I stand against it. I would remove this "feature" unless it is to be added to other NPC's in towns in general.

Lum was right! +1 to Lum for protecting cats in the first place.

2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Nah... I'd rather see them drop a cat carcass I can turn into taco meat or a head I can mount... a little cat skull I can turn into an inkwell or some sort of container to hold pipe tobacco in. Dogs, horses, deer, wolves, bears, bunnies, etc... they're all beautiful creatures and should be protected. But....that's a different game.

Nothing in SotA should be off limits without reason... maybe if there was something written into lore that wasn't completely immersion breaking... then maybe cats (and dogs) and bears (because I like bears too) can be immortal again.

uziraff, LoneStranger, Hazard and 4 others like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Should be a sizable Courage hit. Likely Love too.

Womby, Albus, NRaas and 7 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Along the lines of virtue hits for killing certain creatures, what if they dropped loot that would be considered contraband? Say the cat does drop a skull - if you put it on a public vendor or try to craft something with it using tables located in a public crafting pavilion, you'd take another virtue hit. This could open up some pretty diabolical game play.

5. moko

moko Avatar

I want cat killers to be flagged for PVP :D But really, the cute, pitiful mewlings they make when the NPCs kill them yet again are distressing me ;_;

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    georgegad, Womby, Acred and 7 others like this.
  6. lollie

lollie Avatar

Cats should just be off the table as kill targets.

No more cat slaughter!

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think any named animal in an NPC town should definitely be hands off. I saw NPCs killing a named cat in Resolute today. However, anything tameable that will aggro you when you try to tame it should be killable. Otherwise, they can just follow you around batting at you endlessly. :D

8. lollie

lollie Avatar

Maybe attempting to tame an animal makes it aggro for the player taming, but cats should not be attackable by NPCs or by players just because they're dicks.

Womby, Cianna and x_Selene_x like this.
  9. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

I sense that at some not too distant point in time, PETA is going to get involved in this..........

10. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

The RSPCA would already be preparing the court case..........

11. SpotD

SpotD Avatar

The devs need to check under their cars before they drive home.....those Animal Rights Activists are pretty hardcore.....

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Plus the resident Cat.God places a hefty gold bounty on the offender's head.

Acred and moko like this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if they are domesticated (either collared somehow, or in towns) the guards should fine you if they see you killing one. - HOWEVER, they should NOT be "essential npc's" with a godmode or unattackable.

and if the animal bites you first, you should be able to put it down, and not get fined if you take it to a magistrate afterwards.

THAT is more realistic than making them invincible.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

I think it should be the exception, rather than the rule, that animals cannot be killed. Guards don't do anything about my merciless slaughter of sheep, chickens, rabbits, pigs, cows, and doe in any town, so why should they care (in general) about dogs or cats?

The game should not nanny you, but it should hold a mirror up to you for you to see your own actions. Said mirror can be part of the story, or inflict some negative (or positive!) hit to you via some gameplay mechanic.

- Some NPC animal lovers will charge higher prices or refuse to barter with you...but maybe some NPCs hate animals and will pay for cat skulls.
    - Some NPC guards will be more aggressive or spiteful to you if observing this....but maybe some NPC guards will laugh at the slaughter.
    - Maybe you'll get a virtue hit...maybe you won't.
    - Maybe there will be fines for doing certain activities in a town...depending on that town.

I would be against invincible creatures just because you have a personal issue against it. But I would support story-based, fun, thought-provoking, meaningful, etc gameplay mechanics depending on your actions.

That said, I would support named animals, like named NPCs, being invincible. But generic animals, be they cats or dogs or whatever -- all fair game.

Now, off to slaughter more sheep in Owl's Head. I wonder if there's some hidden achievement for killing 10,000 of these abominations. :D

Albus, Numa, Wayfarer and 2 others like this.
  15. moko

moko Avatar

B..but they are essential ;_;

Womby, Albus and lollie like this.
  16. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

NPC's should shoo and chase away cars and dogs...not kill them.

If players want to kill them they should get a long lasting stacking movement and skills penalty - and NPC's should refuse to interact with them, except for the demented evil NPC that won't talk to you until you are penalized.

Elnoth, Womby, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  17. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I saw this last night and was pretty stunned by it. It's been many years since I've seen the ability to kill domesticated pets and animals in game. Frankly I don't really care. But I sure didn't expect to see an NPC laying the beat down on a cat in town.

Acred likes this.
  18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Just add a few 50k hp cat mimics.

Womby and smack like this.
  19. Albus

Albus Avatar

I agree that NPC's should react to this as well, seeing their livestock slaughters and skinned/looted in their own town? It is a scene killer as well when guards just walk by obliviously as players slaughter a town's animals.

Womby, smack and lollie like this.
  20. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I've no doubt that we will have NPC's that react better to the environment. Right now I can walk up and steal all of the blacksmiths crafts and he doesn't say a word :) Not too bad when your gear wears out, but also bad because I can steal an entire town and nobody says a thing!

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.