Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Make the dodge roll viable

Discussion in 'Release 45 Feedback Forum' started by Rennik, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I've been in combat a number of times agains various enemies, and— when you see the enemy wind up for an attack— will instinctively double-tap to "dodge roll" out of the way (habit from playing Guild Wars 2). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way, and I still get hit.

Example: I'm an archer in light armor, fighting a Mountain Troll. So kiting and damage avoidance is very important. So when I see the troll quickly run the opposite direction, I know he's about to toss a boulder at me. I rush after him, he starts to pick up the rock, I use Gust and blow him over, yet I still get smashed with a rock. OR, I'm in melee range, he lifts his foot to stomp on me, I back up and dodge roll, and I still get hit. What's the point in dodge rolling if it doesn't do anything?

I've had people suggest to me that it was machine/internet lag... but it happens every time. And if ArenaNet can do it with Guild Wars 2, then I'm hopeful that you can do this as well. PLEASE make Dodge Roll a viable ability... maybe have a greater chance of success with a higher DEX and higher Damage Avoidance skills?

Tamsen likes this.
  2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So for troll leap, jump. That negates the leap. For rock throw, yes a dodge roll working would be nice. On rare occasions I have out ranged the boulders as a result of a back flip. It is certainly atypical to do so though.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You mean the troll stomp, yes?

4. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Yes... I understand that it's probably going to have a decent area of impact, but a chance to backflip away and take a shorter stun and/or less damage would be nice...

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As Jefe said, if you jump right before the troll stomp then you will not be effected (no stun, no damage).

Rennik likes this.
  6. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I guess I need more practice, then... I have never been able to effectively dodge roll or jump away from damage. I dodge, I jump, I still get hit. o_O

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Combat rolling does nothing except consume focus. I actually have it turned off in the options.

GrayFog likes this.
  8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Need to make sure you are in the air when the troll lands and you will not be affected by it. Does take a bit of practice. May try to vary the jump timing based on ping. However, for me I have to time it with the landings. I have had cases of jumping after the troll jumps and landing before the troll stomps and getting knocked down. So timing, and remember that holding shift gives a slightly higher leap, thus more air time.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Holding down the shift key does nothing. Holding down the space bar for a few seconds before letting go, however, will make you jump a little higher.

GrayFog likes this.
  10. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I guess my biggest issue is when the attack damage hits me. If the actual "hit" from the enemy attack happened at the end of their attack animation, then we could have a chance to avoid or interrupt their attack... but it doesn't. Once their attack animation starts, we might interrupt the animation, but the actual hit still takes place regardless. They can interrupt US in mid-cast or mid-weapon charge, why can't we interrupt them? And if it IS interrupting, it would nice to know that.

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Sorry yes, distracted by shiny objects while typing.

Barugon likes this.
  12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

To do that, there would need to be some sort of ability in the game to measure casting interruption tolerance. I gotta say though, the Troll's devotion to lifting rocks while while players swing weapons at them at the waist high level is astounding. I'd consider worrying about other stones in that situation. ^^

Rennik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.