Making Open PvP Work With the Slider Thing on Multiplayer Mode

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sir Tim, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Does it bother you that someone is playing hello kitty? Or should they be open to PK from you while you play SotA?

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

wow. I'm sure you will find others who share your views out there, good luck.

3. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Is this hello kitty?
    you crack me up bro, I'm gonna stop now. Good talking to you

NZIGNANTI and Sir_Tim like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's no different, you can't force those Hello Kitty people to PvP, you can't force everyone to PvP. So it's either force them to not play or use the, already designed, meta server to remove them from your play style.

Simple.

It gets complicated when people can't handle the thought that people are unavailable for PvP. It gets even more complicated when people want to add in more to PvP such as the economy.

5. smack

smack Avatar

What? Hello Kitty Online has PvP! It is consensual though :)

Sir_Tim likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I know this has been discussed before, but I know I would love to hear an update on the status of how many people a person would be able to see just for clarification. I do sincerely hope to have a good pvp mode and want to give the pvp'rs a piece of mind on this issue. Maybe a statement from a dev could help. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Each hex would have so many people in it...don't like the hex you are in...move. Seems pretty much ok.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I would imagine this is going to be an on going adjustment. Things like the item limit bug in R1 would impact this kind of number. The closer to R3 (Open Multiplayer Online) we get the more solidified the number will be.

9. Norse

Norse Avatar

I see the "slider thing" as segregation.

NZIGNANTI and Sir_Tim like this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

The slider thing is a means of load management, and a way to allow people to fine tune the game to match their individual preferences. As such, there are very few downsides to Selective Multiplayer that I can see.

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

One major game design flaw is that the same economy will be shared btw these different game modes.

Crafters/gatherers in PvE mode will be favored towards the ones that craft and gather in PvP mode.

PvE crafters should not be able to sell to PvP players since it will remove the economy for PvP crafters.

Ferrus and Sir_Tim like this.
  12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Just because you say it's a design flaw doesn't make it a major design flaw. It deserves to be looked at, and if it is a problem, there is plenty of opportunity to address it.
    That is your theory. Let's see how that pans out in practice.

Another theory unsupported by observed data.

The thing is, even in UO, resources were never in such short supply as to provide any serious restraint on production. Unless resources are far more rare and far more localized that we think they will be, there is no real practical way to limit the flow of resources. The game world will be far too vast to be able to limit resource gathering, in my opinion, but we'll see it that opinion is borne out by in game observation.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

That is pure speculations not based on game experience from other games.

UO felucca was a way harder game experience then trammel.

This i know for facts since i always played it in hard mode both as a crafter and a combat character.

This have to be sorted out now as a well thought out game design.

You dont need to be a space rocket engineer to figure this out.

Sir_Tim likes this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think you do have to be a software engineer, however, to understand that what you propose is not how software development takes place.

Look at the first Alpha release we've seen. Not much there. Mostly testing the downloader, character creation, movement, and decorating/object manipulation.

The first releases will test very broad brush game designs. At each level, those designs will be refined, but only where necessary. At any point in the process, once an aspect meets with the approval of the developers, that area will be frozen, and effort will be devoted to areas that require additional development.

I think your concerns will fall WAY down on the list of priorities, if they even make the priority list at all.

15. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Its a little worse than this from what I understand... you can enter a hex and see one group of people but there may be other players in that same hex that were "chosen"(by some strange algrayth I presume) to be in a seperate instance even iff all your "play style" settings match.

You are right. Felucca was much harder and anyone that telling you otherwise is lying to themselves and you.

I really dont understand how people cant see the potential for a problem with honest hardcore players in a PvP mode, being subjected to someone coming from the advantages of a kind of "the world of oz" mode, fully skilled and armored without any of the trials and tribulations that a PvP mode has to hasten their economic windfall.

Like I have said before... I'm willing to "try" the slider. But I am extremely skeptical and pray the dev team isn’t "married" to it.

NZIGNANTI likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's the nature of the beast, by definition, we will have separation due to instancing of the hexes.

17. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

I am glad to see I am not alone on these issues.
    We cannot let this thing get out of hand. Brethren to arms!

Ferrus likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

So what? You just can't fit a quart of liquid into a 1 pint container, so once the instance is filled, it's filled.

19. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

No, but you CAN put 1 pint of liquid into a 1 pint container.There is no need to force the algorithm to separate people if they can all fit. So far, from what they have described, it doesnt do that. the algorithm separates them anyway.

I proposed in another thread that the developers handle the hexes the way my company handles virtual machines. If one VM is loading up with processes other VMs are off loaded to other physical machines till you have all the resources of one machine allocated for that one overloaded VM. I suggested they do this with the Hexes. Depending on how much they are having a machine handle you could fit thousands of people into one machine if its being autobalanced and other hexes are off laoded to less busy machines, till its just one hex on the one machine.

In other words, you could get a lot of people into that 1 pint. So they will hopefully update this so what ever their algorithm is doing will consider this.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it's great actually...you get to play with those that want to play the style you play...how on earth is that a bad thing? I mean, think of the challenge you would get with all the hardcore PVPers, no noobs getting in your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.