May be a good idea to change adventure levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

No idea what all that adv stuff is about, I didn't say any of it lol

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If i were to compare something with someone, id rather say my adventure level rather than saying i have 2 billion exp for my skill ;p big difference with level 110 and 130, yet in term of level, they seem close together

3. Nick

Nick Avatar

Maybe they should just remove the adventurer lvl and replace it as a Title. So instead of seeing a level 50 when mouse-over, it shows "Seasoned Adventurer" With a text color density showing how close he is moving towards the next grade.

So when you wear a artifact or blessing + lvl, it changes the title/colour density accordingly. If I recall correctly, LB did not like the idea of showing character lvls.

Jaesun, Boris Mondragon and Alioth like this.
  4. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Very recently I have moved my adventure level forward to the point were the mobs I was fighting went from yellow to green and noticed they became easier and easier to kill. This was without raising any skills at the time so I am not sure the data is accurate. Also notice a difference if I use a shrine or do the AL +5 quest.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  5. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I think this is just another symptom of the world we live in. Too many people worrying about what Jane, John and Harry have rather than being happy and getting on with their own lives. If people can't cope because others have a higher AL, then I'm not sure removing AL won't just move the issue elsewhere.

Jaesun, Boris Mondragon, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  6. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Just curious but how did you come to that conclusion? I like the AL number being visible because it does give you a base idea of where your character is at and because, well, numbers have always been a part of character progression in role-playing games.

Some of this thread just sounds like "I personally don't like the number being visible so here's something vaguely negative about it so please hide it somewhere". I've never heard anyone suggest it causes an issue or that it confuses them with regards to their character progression or leveling experience.

Scanphor likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The point is it is not a stat that raises your power but people think it does. Somone who 100% believes something false is true will tell other people with confidence that it is. They dont have to be like “huh? Uhh whats this im confused” to be confused

Some Older players that have played since adv level affected hit chance still think it does, and tell newbies that it does. These newbies either power level up before exploring and continue thinking its true, and continue to tell people it is, or get stuck at a certain adv level and wonder why the game suddenly got exponentially harder all at once. <——this is because of too much attention to adv level.

I even have started finding people that think adv level raises your strength dex and int, which has NEVER been true.

I didnt ask to remove it, i asked to show it as a innate skill with the stats it provides displayed. If anything, that would be way more info on it than is currently displayed, and removes it as the seemingly overarching governing stat that it is not.

CrazyPhil and Steevodeevo like this.
  8. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

From the opening post, people grinding levels because they think they have to and being put off by others with super high levels talked about further down the thread.

9. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

It wouldn't suprise me if @Chris has to put his tail between his lets admit to finding code that depends on adventure level. Its not like he has complete cognitive understanding of ever line of code. He's been wrong before and he'll be wrong again.

We recently added a new player to our groups and he seemed way more effective at level 70 when he had a civility neck, adv level devotional buff and whatever instrument boosts adventure level. That doesn't mean you can't kill stuff at level 1 ...

10. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

Its all in your mind ..take a deep breath and relax.

11. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Can you point out people in this thread stating they are doing that rather than someone saying they know people doing that? I haven't spoken to anyone who feels this way about the AL personally but that is just anecdotal, which is all the points are so far in this thread.

12. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I don't think we know that for certain. Even on the streams recently Chris has indicated that something works a certain way and then upon further investigation has discovered he was wrong.

My actual in game experience suggests AL does more. Fighting the same mobs over a period of time where my AL increased but skills did not showed an increase in my perceived power. Could be placebo but we don't know for certain. The mobs name colour, which changes depending on your AL in comparison to them only changes with an increase in your AL it seems? This colour change could be a hangover from the older system but again, I don't feel it is 100% confirmed. When fighting Cabalists for example, when they changed from orange or whatever the colour is to yellow and as I gained a couple more AL levels, they became easier to deal with.

13. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I concur with @Arkah EMPstrike that the compulsion to reach higher AL is powerful and I am also convinced that it has a terribly adverse effect on the exploration/adventure aspect of the new player experience - many players prefer the quick-fix rather than seeking out the scene tiers appropriate for them.

And that's fair, I guess. Some people just prefer that style of play. They're missing out on so much, but the world is maxe of many different kinds.

It's also true what many on the other side of the table have said: RPG players crave a sense of character progression. They want to feel stronger but just as importantly they want some manner of clear indication of the result of their hard work. Some non-subjective means of understanding your progress ought to be available.

As far as the effect of AL on your to hit/to be hit..... It seems that it quite clearly does to me. It's far from necessary to enjoy the game, but it is evident when a high level player can AFK in a tier 4 area and hardly get scratched.

14. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

No, but i'm taking at face value what people on this thread have said, i'm sure there are examples of that outside this thread if either of us were to look for them we'd find. I'm not entirely sure if there has been a professional survey done, peer reviewed to verify this but suggest it's unlikely. Regardless if its one person, ten people or fifty that feel that way, it doesn't really make my comment null and void. Removing AL will just move the angst somewhere else. What next, removing GM visibility?

15. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

Why is this an issue? Theres so many other issues that need to be addressed than the insignificance of adv lvls. Once you hit adv lvl 100 you should be able to group kill most things in the game anyways. Seems like nitpicking.

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  16. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

You're absolutely right. The presentation of Adv Lvl is confusing. I hate logging in and seeing a stat that doesn't appear to move while I'm playing. I hate feeling like I have to grind all of the time. I've been fooled, and I want to believe you, Arkah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.