May the 4th be with you!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bohica, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bimmer, Athelstan, Asclepius and 5 others like this.
  2. grnarrow

grnarrow Avatar

3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    If you love Star Wars
    May the Fourth be with you

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I bet disney pushes to make this a real holiday full of cards & candy just so they can get
    free promotion for their new IP. At least harrison ford, carrie fisher and mark hamill
    will be in the next star wars, that is something that should've happened instead of episode
    i,ii,iii.

[​IMG]

Time Lord and Doppelganger like this.
  7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I hope Luke is a badass.
    I hope Jaina, Jacen and Anakin are in it.
    I hope Abrams doesn't f... foul it up like he did Into Darkness. (I *LIKED* the first Star Trek reboot movie)
    I wanted Joss Whedon.

Alexander and Time Lord like this.
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Luke is old in the picture... I first saw the entire Star Wars Trilogy in Betamax... LOL... Luke as new Darth Vader... ^_^ it should be a family tradition...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  11. selbie

selbie Avatar

We all want Joss Whedon. I don't think I'd mind if Disney snatched the rights to that other Space Western ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't mind JJ Abrams purely as a director. When he was first hired to direct a script by Arndt, I was actually fairly excited. Abrams made two very entertaining Star Trek movies. Some people don't like the alternate universe and such, but story aside, they are great looking and well directed movies.

But now that Abrams threw Arndt's script out the window (and effectively at the same time the entire EU) I'm worried about the story.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  13. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Thats not 100% true. Arndt is still the scriptwriter, they just gave it a treatment, something EXTREMELY COMMON and, like pushing back release dates for big video games, usually is a good thing. It also wasn't just a whim of Abrams,other people were involved in that decision.
    Also, Abrams always has been a selfproclaimed huge star wars fan, while he admittedly hasn't cared much for star trek until he was hired to do the movies.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Wow I don't recall that hug.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

They won't be, they don't exist anymore.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Buh? Did Disney destroy all canon? I knew they'd invalidated the games, but the fiction too?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

"as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Time Lord likes this.
  18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Disney hasn't. They're officially hands off with Lucasfilm. And intially Lucasfilm hired a screenwriter who was pro-EU (Arndt) who took Lucas' core story concepts for the new trilogy and worked in existing EU characters. His story for Episode VII focused largely on the Solo kids.

Up until that point, EU authors were still working on their existing EU books.

JJ Abrams was then hired by Kathleen Kennedy to be the director. Lucas' grandson was then tweeting that Abrams spent all his time with Lucas, beginning him to take the story in a different direction. Officially Lucas is only a consultant, but people still want his blessing. Arndt's script went out the window, the movie got bumped back six months and the Abrams and Kasdan took over duties on a new script.

At that point, EU authors were told to stop working on their existing novels.

Last week Lucasfilm put out a statement saying that the entire EU is being set aside, labeled as "Star Wars Legends" and Episode VII is starting a new canon where only the movies and the Clone Wars cartoon are canon to enable Abrams to have the most creative freedom and not be bogged down by canon.

Arndt isn't in London and isn't working on the movie at all anymore, where as Abrams and Kasdan are listed as the new writers.

I defended Abrams when he was first hired because I like him as a director, but he basically convinced Lucas to throw away the EU. And the first story that broke on the subject months back before this was all official specifically said that they invented a new character to be Luke's wife. Mara friggin' Jade doesn't even exist anymore, and that is a character that Zahn created when working directly with Lucas on his first books, and Lucas said was canon. Lucas even hired an actress to be the face of Mara Jade years back because it was his favorite EU character and he wanted her to be extra official.

Episode VII might still be a great movie. I'm glad a new generation gets their own Star Wars. But we gave Lucasfilm money all those years when there were no movies. Lucasfilm supposedly brought in 900 million a year in revenue with no movies. That money was basically all EU content and merchandising kept alive by the EU. And thanks to Abrams, everything we bought over all those years is now gone.

Lucasfilm has said they can selectively pull elements from the EU and re-use them (the new cartoon uses Sith Inqusitors and the name of a star system from West End Game's fantastic old Star Wars RPG).

But it would seem most of it is history.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I knew Aaron Alston... He was an acquaintance, but a couple of his roommates, and several of my real friends were very good friends of his. I always wanted to play in one of his role-playing games... He was a legendary GM in addition to being a very good writer and contributing many volumes to the EU.

He died a few months ago.

I'm now very sad that all his wonderful work has now been devalued by JJ Abrams.

enderandrew and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.