Maybe it is time to reconsider portals?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Tahru, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I propose that the POT-only teleporters are now useable by LOT owners, esp Hatches and Wagons.

Currently, POT's have a few options for teleports and Lots owners a few options. The irony is that POT owners have options at small teleporters and Lot owners can only choose from large teleporters so large they can't have a teleporter and a home at the same time in most cases.

I get that there has been resistance to teleport changes because
    1. A few of us have created work-arounds using POT's to become transport hubs (myself included).
    2. The idea of teleports is the opposite of challenging gameplay.
    3. There are aspects of the game that were intended to make the overworld part of the challenge. Great idea, but it just has not worked out sadly.
    4. If everyone chooses the easy path, then how will they discover the huge amount of unexplored content (from both users and the game).
    Those are the cons, now how about the pros...
    1. Easy access to play with friends
    2. Easy access to customize your play life to match your play style, combining locations as effectively one.

There are a lot more cons than pros, but I believe this many years into the game that the cons (except #1) are pretty much proven irrelevant. Nothing is more important than keeping the current players and attracting new players. I have come to peace with the fact this is not a super competitive game in the traditional sense and more players enjoy the candy.

Just my opinion.

ConjurerDragon and vulcanjedi like this.
  2. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

I probably spend 30% of my time on the overworld map. I remember well back when you couldn't get through a pass withought entering the scene. And there were no mounts. You couldn't bypass a siege so getting into your own house was an extended activity. I tend to be cheap with my scrolls so I use POT teleporters to get everywhere but still end up on the map often.
    vj

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

There are "Teleport to Friend" scrolls. I rarely use scrolls and dozens looted gather dust in my bank account but if one friend is at the desired location then any friend is able to teleport there as long as he is unencumbered.

If find it no problem at all to get around even saving the scrolls - e.g. from Castle Atos to my room and the devotionals (strongest in a town with the full amount of houses on the overland map!) I use in Wizard´s Rest I go from Atos south, use the intercontinental Galleon outside Ardoris to Kingsport, run the King´s Road to Owln´s Head (even without a mount really quick using sprint and dash together) and then the last yards to Wizard´s Rest. Back even easier as Wizards´s Rest has a teleporter to Castle Atos.

When I´m at Atos and want to get to my newly established hunting hut I exit Atos, then *without moving one inch* click the ferry to the island about Light (either Isle of Light or Lightbringer Isle). There I use the street sign to the embassy of the OTHER island about light, which has a teleporter to that island (north of Brittany) and then run the remaining way west to Yew.

Not a problem at all and I get anywhere within 5 minutes.

In my opinion they could even close the gates over the passes for the night due to undead assault and it would not bother me travelling around.

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I just saw the basement hatch teleporter on sale, only for POT governours... I agree that it does not make sense to have the huge teleporters like the towers with the arch or the bell tower for player lots and the comparable small basement hatch teleporters for placement in POTS´s but not by players on their lots (or basements or dungeons).