Merchant NPC keyword suggestion

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Hawkwind_AtlanticUO, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkwind_AtlanticUO

Hawkwind_AtlanticUO Avatar

I like the throwback to using keywords with npc interaction. Here would be my immediate after thought and suggestion. Currently NPCS will respond to the 'BUY' keyword, however 'SELL' was not an option, which I honestly was expecting to work.

My suggestions would be:

1. Add sell keyword and have it bring the player directly to the sell tab.
    2. expand 'buy' and 'sell' to include a second key word. such as 'buy equipment' taking the player directly to that tab.

3. for RP sake possibly expand key words to include other phrasing. eg. "what have ya got (for me)?" "anything for sale?" "got any 'equipment' for sale"? so forth.

Spoon, Jynx and smack like this.
  2. Leviathan Alestorm

Leviathan Alestorm Avatar

Seems like a waste of time considering it will rarely be used (as most people just double click the npc) and all you have to do is click a different tab. In later episodes sure, but not really worth it E1

3. smack

smack Avatar

I like the enhancement. I'll even add something like:

Sell Equipment Sort Price Descending

Add that to a macro...

EDIT: We can sneak in a Filter <thing> keyword pair too!

Spoon and Hawkwind_AtlanticUO like this.
  4. Hawkwind_AtlanticUO

would be legit to spend more time on these sorts of things. makes the game solid imo. sure its in the plans but thought id throw it out there.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is a keyword for "sell" unfortunately the NPC interprets that as you want to know what they are selling not vice versa.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/merchant-npc-why-cant-i-say-sell.15649/
    Its also not implemented in all merchants.

So I wondered about that and then in the streamathon I asked Scot if the NPCs use inheritance since not all vendors recognize new keywords as if it was implemented on a case by case and not on object type.
    Turned out I was unfortunately correct. They don't use object inheritance so that they can easily implement new keywords across an archetype (like vendor) instead Scot said he worked with combining templates, sort of.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...qYtW9OA&list=UUXQk717zL_nnDsfyaAQ5qkQ#t=12176
    That got me really scared... and it explained some strange behaviour we have seen where an implemetation doesn't turn up in all NPCs of X type ... and it explains why we will never get to design our own NPCs.

mbomber likes this.
  6. Hawkwind_AtlanticUO

Hmm interesting thanks for that reply spoon! Perhaps it is possible (and easier) to add vendor keywords to ALL npcs. Just because they aren't selling anything important (or anything at all) don't make it any less convincing that they could be asked the same questions as vendors.

*edit.

just as all npcs can be asked name ,job etc.

7. Hawkwind_AtlanticUO

In my experiences, when someone says something is a waste of time; it is likely due to lack of personal interest. I am sure a wide majority of players consider pvp or RP elements to be a waste of time, since they do not partake, however there is a entire demographic of players who would quit if they were removed.

To call something a waste of time; because you feel some or most players would not use it; is an 'opinion'. These opinions are always welcome, however speaking for anyone but yourself is considered to be in bad taste, at least for me.

So... what I took from that comment was:

"I personally feel that this is a waste of time, since I would likely never use it." and that to me is fair enough grounds to form an opinion.

8. fredingue

fredingue Avatar

I appeciate this kind of interaction with NPCs, despite i must admit that i talk very bluntly to them, like : "News ?", "Work ?", "Name ?"

Anyway, all NPcs should have basic models implemented, to provide that kind of encounter with a NPC who did not know what a name was or xould not tell it to me, had no idea of what is work, and reacted only when i asked him if he was on drugs...
    here he told me he would buy some from time to time !

The funniest is that he reacted to the word "yellow", associating it with the colour of the sun, but out of context...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349363651

Hawkwind_AtlanticUO likes this.
  9. Leviathan Alestorm

Leviathan Alestorm Avatar

I am an RPer myself. It's not a personal opinion as I would like to see it. The fact of the matter is, most people who buy stuff just double-click the merchant. Considering the game is still missing very major core features, it isn't worth it E1.

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't know if conversation triggers can open specific tabs in the trade window as-is. So that is coding effort and that would be a low priority request, though perhaps it could be knocked out quickly.

"Buy Equipment" would also in turn require coding to allow dialogue to open specific tabs in the trade dialogue, but this one seems unnecessary in that most vendors are only going to sell one type thing. Vendor items aren't fully populated and configured by a fruit vendor isn't going to be selling armor.

If "sale" triggered the trade window, then saying "do you have anything for sale" or "what equipment do you have sale" would likely both work the way the system works today. You can test this currently by saying both "trade" and "I would like to trade".

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.