Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Milling sub-skills not increasing

Discussion in 'Crafting, Harvesting, Salvage, & Agriculture' started by Aurelius Silverson, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

07/09/2018 10:29
    Title: Milling sub-skills not increasing
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:
    Started out today at 65 milling skill, but had not purchased the Batching materials and Swift Refining materials skills. Bought both at the crafting trainer, so got level 1 in each, both set to rise (green upward arrow), went back to the crafting table and began milling wood and boards. Neither of these passive skills raised.

Originally had locked milling base skill at 65, so wondered if that was causing the problem - set it to gain, and it did, now at 67 - but no gains at all on the passives, both still at 1. After about an hour milling, and 800 or so board produced, neither passive skill is improving. There's 247k pooled experience for them to draw from, which is increasing with each milling action, but it seems there's no connection between the actual milling skill being used and it's passive sub skills increasing.

Steps to Reproduce: Repeated crafting actions.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32717
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4058
    SotA.Win.64.802.Date.07.06.18
    Area: BasementSceneDungeonTown_5Floor
    Area Display Name: Town Stone 5-Story Basement
    Loc: (9.3, 5.0, 6.9)
    Debug: QmFzZW1lbnRTY2VuZUR1bmdlb25Ub3duXzVGbG9vcnx8KDkuMjUxLCA1LCA2LjkxMSl8KDAsIDEsIDAsIDApfDIyNy41NzM3fDUzLjMzOTM5fDMuNTY5MDA5

Edit : Did the same experiment with the same character, but with the Smelting sub-skills Batching and Swift Refining - those worked exactly as expected, and rose with each smelting attempt. Seems to be only milling that is acting oddly for me.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    vircotto likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Aurelius Silverson, it depends on what recipes you're using. if you look in the book, each refining skill has a subsection called "refined materials". you have to be using those recipes to raise the refined materials subskills. ingots count for smelting, but boards do not count for milling. those are "components".

3. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

@Alley Oop That's quite possible , I suspect you have tested it in the past so I believe you - but it's truly bizarre, in smelting I am making ingots, which are listed in the book as 'refined materials', yet have absolutely no use other than as components for other things, but timber is a 'refined material' in the milling items section ... but processing a 'refined material' into a 'component' by using the milling skill at a milling station doesn't count for milling?

There surely should be more intuitive a system than this seems to be. This terminology makes no sense ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.