Mining and Meticulous Collection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by weryhard, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weryhard

weryhard Avatar

I ve spend lots of time for mining.Especially ive been Spectral Mines and Elysium Mines.I noticed some of strange things about in my experience.I will try to explain them in headings.

1) Gem Mining
    Basicly in SotA with a pickaxe you can collect Garnet,Emerald,Ruby ect. from quarries.there is a 2 type of those gems.The big and the small ones.400 small one equals to 1 big one for craft things.Ppls are selling most of them 300-350 gold in their vendors.NPC's are buying big one only 200 golds and small one 1 gold each and it means 400 gold for do things with small ones.On the other hands at mines you can collect with meticulous collection multiply by them.İn my total experience i ve never seen big ones impoving with meticulous collection.I noticed gem mining is faster than metal mining.Even so I can say its ''Totally not worth'' to gem mining.With this system ,they almost dont have any economical value and rarity.When I killed some of trolls ive noticed almost every drop 1 big gem.It is some times 3 big gem from 1 troll loot.Also you cant sell them in large quantities to ppls as metals.If you put all these together when you think mining is mainly for metals and gems,It means %50 of mining system is corrupted.Give us reason to Gem Mining! Solution is specializing gems and only collecting way mining for them.For example, lets say there are 5 class emerald gem for socketing and those are A B C D E class gems.E class is our normal gems.(SGM:Small gem vein,MGV:medium and LGV:large gem vein)

From:.....................Small Gem Vein......................Medium Gem Vein...............Large Gem Vein
    Class:
    ///A...................... %0.025 ...................................%0.05 ....................................%0.1
    ///B.......................%0.037 ...................................%0.075...................................%0.15
    ///C .......................%0.05 .....................................%0.1........................................%0.2
    ///D.......................%0.1.........................................%0.02 ....................................%0.4​

with this method cheap and worthless SotA gems going to be luxry and symbol of the richness as real world.A class gem for best bonusses.

2) Main Mining Skill
    You need to this skill for improve your succes chance.Right now I am 107 lv miner.In SotA,every ''main'' metal nearly same price (silver is 5 gold expensive).But collecting chances from quarries differents and depends on places and your main mining skills.If their economical values equal,if their guards in mines are equal why should i mining gold or silver.I can collect 4 different material from iron and copper veins but only 1 material from silver and gold.Why should I prefer gold mining with lower succes chance and far lower profit from iron and copper mining.Also in mines with this system after more than %70 of succes chance,it is complately meanless to improve yourself.Because you are alredy going to wait veins respawn times at mid and high level.You alredy have free time for fails.Your hourly quantity for gold and silver and copper ect. never chance.Even if it is not, when you think about duration of excavation, it is fairly acceptable.
    In SotA whatever your level,you can collect same quantity of materials from vein
    ''first hit'' and it changes from 1 to 3.Give us reason to improve our main mining skills.For example
    1 to 60 lvl 1-1
    60 to 80 lvl 1-2
    80 to 100 lvl 1-3
    100 to 120 lvl 1-4
    120 to 140 lvl 2-4
    140 to 160 lvl 2-5
    ect. for first hit collection.

3) Fast Gathering
    This skill is useful,and change things.I accept it below lvl 80.After that its is meanless to improve it.Fast Gathering skill also does not effect meticulous collection speed.Isnt it suppose to be effect?I have noticed nearly same time normal mining and meticulous collection speed at 5 skull area with high lv.How about change title from meanless to worth!
    What if its also effect ur meticulous collection mining,forestry,dressing speed and also improve ur critical mining,luberjacking,dressing chance after 100 lvl? For example each lv add %0.5 critical chance after 100 lv.
    120 lv addional %10 crit chance
    140 lv %20 crit chance
    160 lv %30 crit chance
    180 lv %40 crit chance
    200 lv %50 crit chance

4) Meticulous Collection
    From my side this is the most brutal fail mining skill in SotA right now.You think meticulous collection improve ur loot? What if I say it is not only void ur experience pool as a most expensive exp drain in the mining school and worthless but also it does ''reduce'' your material loot per hour.How? Let me explain..
    when you hit veins, its chance to get 1, 2, or 3 ore from it.lets say each of them %33.3 chance. When you hit veins as meticulous collection it is %100 chance to get 1 ore.And as i said if you are a high lv miner with full gears and buffs for mining,it is ''almost'' same time to hit meticulous and normal mining.Excavation time nearly same. So im going to ask you guys.With this condition what do you choose? ''from every vein'' get %66.6 chance ( %33.3 2 ore and %33.3 3 ore) more than? or waste ur time and wait meticulous collecting? Whatever this skill growns, its steal time more and more.''Wrost'' result for ''Higher Grade Skill'' .How is this possible for real? I ve got almost 200 hour mining experience guys.Trust me...If you dont,you can try yourself at every mines..
    Give us reason to improve this skill! Because it is not make sense to reduce our loots with our exp pool...

With faster timing(depends on fast gathering skill) and chance to get 1-3 ore,It is going to make sense.For example

1 to 80 lv 1-1 ( %100 chance 1 ore with every meticulous hit)
    80 to 100 lv 1-2 ( %25 chance 2 ore %75 chance 1 ore with every meticulous hit)
    100 to 120 lv 1-2 (%50 chance 2 ore %50 chance 1 ore with every meticulous hit)
    120 to 140 lv 1-3 (%50 chance 2 ore %40 chance 1 ore and %10 chance 3 ore with every meticulous hit)

Numbers are just for examples.
    Peace
    Murloc Nightcrawler

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Aldo, Lord Ravnos and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  2. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

4) Meticulous Collection

lets say your in a zone with 5 copper nodes max. with out Meticulous Collection you can get 3 ore per copper node, that 15 ore total then you have to sit and wait for respawn

With meticulous collection you can get more ore from the same number of mining nodes

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Can you give example of how this happens? As stated by the OP, in actuality meticulous collection usually results in the same or less ore at always more time collecting. I mine a lot and almost never get meticulous collections over three deep and 95% of the time the total with a 3 success meticulous is still only 3 ore. I have begun to "unlearn" my meticulous collection based on my observations and am hoping that is the right decision.

weryhard likes this.
  4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I agree as it stands right now meticolous collection is very ineffective when it comes to mining .... not so much when it comes to other professions though .... as a miner there are enough nodes in a mine to skip metic. collection and move on to the next node..as a tree cutter however when you got like only 10-15 tree nodes on map metic. collection can really increase your hourly wood income /hour .. same goes for skinning or harvesting. Its true though metic collection actually lowers ore income/hour for miners.

LoneStranger, weryhard and Aldo like this.
  5. weryhard

weryhard Avatar

What do you guys thinking about gem system?

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Unless it was changed recently, you can get big gems on meticulous collections. I used to have a screenshot of a node that I got 3 emeralds from. I also think that it's untrue that meticulous collection mining isn't useful or is detrimental. It's more accurate to say that its effectiveness is situational.

I agree that the way gems are used could use a revamp. The way it is now, the supply of gems just dwarfs the demand because it only takes a handful of gems to socket all the pieces that can be socketted. I think it'd be better if they worked more like batteries that give attunement but wear down and need to be removed/replaced in time.

Mac2 and Rinaldi like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

What you say is true if items are socketed after enhancement. However, since socketing before enhancement increases the buff choices, people socket before enhancing. This results in huge losses requiring more gems.

Spungwa, Mac2 and Lazlo like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Sure, you can go through a decent amount of gems if you put a lot of enchantments and mws on pre socketted pieces, but the ratio of gems to ore is still the same whether you enchant or not, and the ore cost (or cloth or leather) is massive relative to the gem cost.

The bottom line is that there isn't much demand for gems relative to supply. If a person is mining somewhere that has ore and gems, the most profitable course of action is usually to run past the gems and get as much ore as possible. I don't think that's necessarily a big problem, but things could definitely be much more balanced, not just with mining, but with gathering in general.

Aldo likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I find it useful to save my fragments to make glass sheets. I also get them in overworld encounter bandit chests.

Mac2 likes this.
  10. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Meticulous collection is basically lack-luster like you describe. There is no extra experience and it takes much longer to finish a single node. Combined with the bug that if something hits you while you're meticulously collecting, you get no experience from that node... yea. That's not to say it has no use... If you're so beefy that you out-do the ore node spawn, then meticulous collection is a good thing as it will actively increase your yield since the limiting factor are indeed ore nodes and not you moving fast enough to hit them.

I wish the base mining skill was more useful. Getting it to 80 is more than enough to mine everything in the game and as far as I can tell there's no benefit to increasing it any further aside from a couple % points success chance.

Mac2 likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Gem mining isn't a complete waste. If you only need emeralds, killing a troll or any boss type to get emeralds is going to take way longer than if you just go mine emeralds.

And you can't get 1,2, or 3 ore from Copper or Iron. You only get 1 everytime(on the first attempt), so meticulous collection for these nodes is much more useful than when mining silver or gold.

Silver or gold you can get 1,2, or 3 on the first attempt and then 1 additional ore on each meticulous after that. When silver and gold mining I usually skip all meticulous and move on to the next node. But with copper and iron I always use meticulous because the timer is a little bit shorter on a meticulous collection and 1 ore is all you ever get each attempt anyways.

12. weryhard

weryhard Avatar

13. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Semantics on the front of gems. I'd have to be extremely desperate to actually go mining gems. That's something I can legitimately buy and use my time more efficiently elsewhere in all cases. Under no circumstance should anyone EVER mine for gems.

As far as iron and copper go... You're wasting your time if you're not getting tin/tungsten/etc. alloys from those nodes, especially in light of the new Tier 2 materials changes coming in next patch on Thursday. Those two types of metal can make use of scraps and it is FAR cheaper to do so in the case of copper and since iron is basically so bad relative to copper I'm not sure what the market is for it. I have yet to find myself in a situation where I had too much tin and not enough copper ore to make bronze. Would love to be in that situation, but it just doesn't happen even getting only a single copper per node.

Scarcity is the only reason to ever use meticulous collection (Using it only as filler to never wait on node respawn), and even then I'd pick and choose my hits where I was only MC'ing gold/silver and try to minimize copper/iron due to the absence of the alloys on the former.

14. StuFoo

StuFoo Avatar

I am going to try to break down my experience with meticulous vs non-meticulous mining. I mine the Graff Gem Mines. On average I would say it takes me about 15 mins (generous I would say) or so to do one full wave hitting almost all the nodes minus possible one or two nodes in the newly expanded area top to bottom. Lets say there are 50 nodes available at all times (forget respawn time and fails), it is about 10 seconds per node for me so about 8.3 mins of nodes. On 50 nodes with my meticulous at 35% (potions, prosperity tool) you get a little over 50% return ore, about 26. 26 ore with meticulous is about 4.3 mins. Including the crits for 26 hits I would guess lowball at 3 crits in that. Let's say about 4 mins total and in that time you could of hit about 12-15 more nodes if you chose non-meticulous route( also generous I would think). Lets say half are gold. So maybe 6-7 copper, not a great profit for tung or tin there. And you might end up equaling out in total ore at best with lots more work.

To me it seems to come down to being more efficient and going the non-meticulous route which would garner a little more profit and a nice extra chunk of exp. But you have to be on top of everything; running to each node, no stopping, etc. The time that is used for meticulous is now used by running around killing mobs and hitting the other nodes which is more work. Where as if you choose the meticulous route you essentially get a 4 min break every full run with a few less tin/tung possibly and the same amount of ore or more.

Thoughts? Most of the math I leaned towards the non-meticulous side I would say and it still came out roughy equal. I would say the exp is the only real benefit of doing non-meticulous and you have to work a little harder for it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Rada Torment likes this.
  15. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

well i have about 2200 hours mining and i find that you should hit the skill critical points when raising skills. 80 is not high enough, 85 is the point where you hit 92% chance. the next point is at 98 where you hit 93%. then its 113 to get 94%, too much xp for that. now i use the true bronze pickaxe to get that 94%. my mining is at 100. most of these guys here are RIGHT about meticulous. ihave it at 100 and its a problem if i want to get xp.
    the first hit in many nodes is 2x or 3x but each met hit is always 1x and there are NO other items in there on the met hits. no nickel, tungsten, tin.
    basically i mine for crafting xp plus the gold and silver ore i get. what i do to maximize the xp is hit W then E when its on the met 2 bar. you get the xp and the initial ore there WITHOUT waiting for x2 or x3.
    now if x2 is critical, i will wait the half sec for that, ahah.
    i dont worry about taking up time for met hits, i just bypass them and keep going. doing it this way increases xp while decreasing ore gathered by about 5% overall. no biggie. i keep track of this stuff, btw.
    as for the gems, i need them for socketing the gear i make and i need the frags for glass sheets. i only mine gems when i need them.
    i think its a ripoff when gems get you 100xp while ore gets you 500 xp. gems should get 200xp
    ALSO, met 2 and above should get you an extra 100xp per. that would encourage met mining.

one last thing: i want to SHOOT THAT GUY who mentioned changing Elysium Mine. Chris, please GO BACK TO SLEEP on Elysium. please leave it alone, unless you want to add another room past the bottom for adventure or something else. WE DEPEND ON IT for gold and silver. who cares that both are in the same place. WE DEPEND ON IT. your crafters DEPEND ON IT. we need that mine AS IS.

oh ya, and this: i will NEVER enchant or masterwork an artifact for anyone. im not using my hard earned 110 weapon enchant and 110 masterwork skills to put myself OUT OF BUSINESS by making uber artifacts more uber.
    really bad idea to let us masterwork and enchant artifacts.

Hornpipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.