Minor Website Clarification Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NirAntae, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

It was brought up by someone in another thread that it is potentially misleading to newcomers that the pledge tiers are listed the same as those on the Kickstarter page, yet they have very different rewards now. At least one person has pledged thinking they would be receiving the same rewards as those listed on the Kickstarter page, which he was directed to first. While he is owning it as his mistake and is not upset, some might feel tricked and angry in such a situation.

Please, let's not start another discussion about the merits of the reward differences!

This is merely a request to add a small note on the front page, in an easily visible location (such as perhaps right underneath the "Pledge Info" heading in a smallish font) for the benefit of anyone who got here via the Kickstarter page, that the tiers/rewards are different despite having a similar/the same name.

2. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Another good place to put it would be on the page right before you submit payment in the store.

NirAntae, Kuno Brauer, Joviex and 3 others like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Honestly, the whole entire website needs a once-over to make sure that the information is up to date, the term backer is used properly, and any ambiguities are cleared up. The FAQ too.

4. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

That would be a good first step. Even better would be to rename all benefactor tiers so there is no confusion, clean up the FAQ and compensate those who pledged on incorrect information.

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Actually, if you Pledge via the site, it does list the current rewards underneath the selection before you click to accept the payment. A disclaimer about some changes from the KS list wouldn't be a bad idea, to ensure people are reading what they buy.

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, that is true. If you get to the kick start site first, and you spend all the time to read all the tiers on the website, choose which one you want, go up and hit the "you can still pledge here" tab it takes you to the Sota home page. on the right it says pledge here, and below it has the tiers. There is nothing on either website saying that the tiers have changed and in fact it says on the kick start page still that there are some available. I agree that we all need to read more, but like you said it could be clarified better and people should not have to read the reward tiers 3 times to find the current one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think the Pledge button on the KS page should go to a special pages which explains the KS is closed and the tier rewards changed. However, I know after the KS closes the project owner looses access to modify some things, and I think the home page is one of them. As such, Portalarium may not be able to adjust that at all now.

It should be clear to anyone pledging directly on the SOTA site what the new reward are since they are listed, but I can understand how people on the KS site might be confused.

8. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

And that is what I meant... Was in a hurry to get out the door for work.

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  9. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

Sorry, I agree with you, and I apologise for deteriorating this thread. I do believe disclaimers would be helpful and I really hope the devs take the OP´s idea into consideration

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, I'm only going to post the warning here once for everyone. This thread is to make a suggestion that the website be changed to make things a little clearer. Do not turn this into the thread that had to be closed last night or action may be taken against any users helping to engage in that conversation.

If you have any quarrel with the system the way it is, please email community@portalarium.com and converse with them about it. We don't want to see another flame war on the forum or more bad blood between users.

11. smack

smack Avatar

They definitely could add some wording to both the Kickstarter home page and the Pledge page. Something to the effect of:

"NOTE: The pledge tiers and their rewards have changed since the original Kickstarter campaign has ended. Please review the pledge description and their rewards before you make your pledge".

@Rustic Dragon, are you watching this thread?

12. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

I agree 100%. The Kickstarter page being the most important one. It is quite deceptive, especially when you follow the link and find the same tier names and what appears to be the same rewards.

13. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

While yes, the information is THERE on the SotA home page, you have to actually click on the tiers and re-read them to find that out. Because the tiers still have the same names for the most part (aside from, I believe, the removal of the First/Second responder tiers, which only makes sense) there is nothing to make someone who read the descriptions on the KS page think that they should re-read the reward tiers.

And again, for the sake of clarity, KS 'freezes' pages after a certain point, to make sure projects can't manage a "bait and switch" type of situation. So changes on the KS side are most likely not possible. Thus it has to be a matter of 'how to prevent this confusion on the SotA page side'.

14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I can see where it might be confusing having a link from KS if the purchaser does not read the details associated with each tier, but to say Portalarium is being deceptive is not accurate and falsely accusative.

They present all of the information on their webpage. The items listed on SotA's website are showing what new backers would receive, not what is listed on the KS website; there is a clear difference in the items listed in each tier. Additionally, when making the purchase, does it not show all of the items that are being given at a specific level of backing?

It's hard to fault Portalarium if the purchaser fails to read the information on the page.

Umbrae likes this.
  15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

No one said Portalarium was being deceptive?

I said the way it appears now is "potentially misleading", and that some people who came to the site via KS "might feel tricked". I don't think it is in any way intended to be deceitful, at ALL. However, I think it would be wise to avoid upset if all it takes is adding a little one-sentence disclaimer that the tier rewards have changed from the KS rewards, and to please be sure to look at them.

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@NirAntae
    I agree with you that a one-liner on one of the pages stating that "KS-only items are no longer available" would help to clear up some of the confusion.

That previous post of mine was not directed at you because you made no such statement. :)

NirAntae likes this.
  17. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

We all agree just something small making it obvious that this is the case is needed.

18. Macsen

Macsen Avatar

Clearly it was directed at me. I agree that deceptive was a harsh word to use, especially when what I actually meant was confusing. By no means did I intend to say Portalarium was deceptive, just that the Kickstarter page could cause so much confusion that the page it self could be seen as being deceptive

It is not however only a reading comprehension problem on the purchaser's side. I agree blame is to be put on the purchaser, but if a person reads the rewards from kickstarter, clicks on the pledge link, and sees the tier with the same name (knight or citizen) on the SOTA page, most people will assume they are the same.

I for one saw that the most important (property and house) were included and assumed that what I read on kickstarter was still correct. That being said. Starr has already made a post about this situation, and perhaps it is time to let this die?

19. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

What about changing the tier names on the front page to something like Citizen (Benefactor), Knight (Benefactor), etc... You could also have a link right on the front page in plain site (near the pledge button) that links to a page/faqs explaining what exactly a Benefactor is.

This changes the tier names from what the KS names are, and gives them a link to a clear statement in the faqs on what it means by (Benefactor).

Just throwing some sort of idea out. Seen a lot of good ideas to help clear up confusing and give backers more information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.