MMORPG or Single player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaana98, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

Hey all

Crazy question (don't have time to keep up with all the good stuff here at SOTA)...is this going to be a single player game or multi?

I was under the impression when things began it was going to be single player. That was why I became a backer. I have no interest in multi player games (having spent a gazillion years playing them). Not that I don't think you're all fabulous but I'd just rather go solo without having pvp and other elements that multi brings in the game.

Thanks for the reply in advance! :)
    Jaana (UO Altantic shard, Lineage and Lineage II).

Gracekain and docdoom77 like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It is both.

It has selective multiplayer. You can play the entire game single player offline, single player online, online with friends only, or online with everyone.

3. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

Fantastic thanks very much! I appreciate the reply. :)

docdoom77 and Koldar like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

A completely offline single-player mode is part of the design, correct.

There is also a single-player online mode, where you can participate in the online world but never see any other users. You would see their houses populate the world, buy crafts from their vendors, and sell stuff via your own vendor, but never actually need to talk/see anyone else.

There is also a "Friend-Only" mode, where you can play the game with only users you have specifically chosen. Personally, this is the one I find most exciting, as I can play with my wife without having to worry about the "less savory" elements of the internet getting in the way. :)

5. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

Wow lots of great options. Really looking forward to this one!

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It is somewhat of a revolutionary approach.

7. Retro

Retro Avatar

Welcome, make sure to link your kickstarter account to the SotA website if you haven't yet.

Jaana98 likes this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I can't say I've enjoyed a single player game since Diablo 1 & UO, it ruined the single player experience for me. Excepting Ultima IX of course, I did play and beat that post-playing UO, but then I went back to UO. Looked for a UO like game for years, settled for Diablo 2, tried Diablo 3 (horrible game). Garriott calls Pagan the original Diablo. Now Pagan online I'd like to see, and I'm happy to see there will be a lot of cool Pagan-like elements in SOTA.

That being said this will be one of the few single player games I will enjoy playing, I'll play both single and multiplay, & enjoy both. The future is online but when it's great, it's worth going back to single player.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Jaana98

Jaana98 Avatar

The Multi experience was fun for a time but as time when by the quality of people changed. Ran into too many mean & scamming avatars.

I'm also terrible under the pressure fighting the baddies within a group! I'll never forget standing in the woods fighting while we were under attack from a bunch of monsters, my pal dying while I stood calling the guards instead of healing him. I kept hitting the wrong macro! LOL. Mighty embarrassing. :oops: He still doesn't find it amusing to this day. :)

Single player has been lacking for years but I loved Dragon Age. For me a game is more about the story and characters. :)

docdoom77 and Olahorand like this.
  10. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

I like the fact that I can go online, be social, play some pvp etc. But some nights I come home late from work and just want to play 20 minutes and not talk to anybody. I love that they added single player online , in case I want to go to a friends vendor or check my vendor etc during one of those short play sessions and still interact with the world.

Originally I didn't quite understand the SPO idea, but Single Player Online was a feature that I didn't even realize I wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.