1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Monetization: Zones

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Seggallion, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

Create zones that can be purchased for either $1.99 or $4.99. Naturally, these zones would have to be pretty damn special. We are talking some interesting quests and layouts. Even a non-tradeable unique item or two. Of course they couldn't be integral to the game overall. They would need to be completely standalone zones. Castle Atos wouldn't be a good choice, but something like that.

I wouldn't be mad if there was unique gear like a special halberd or chest plate that can only be obtained from that zone. Something you can't get anywhere else. With the way equipment works, I am sure it is easy to make something with unique traits that don't necessarily give an advantage. Of course this only works if the zones are truly special and given more attention.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You're joking, right ?

sowhataccountsarefree likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I mean, it sure beats dropping $700 on a town!

4. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

Unless we can agree that you should pay people for the goods they provide, then we can't even begin to have a conversation. I notice that everyone always shouts down any sort of mention of paying anything for a game. It is always labeled as "pay to win" or characterized as fleecing your customers. I have found that the people who scream the loudest tend to pay the least. If SOTA went back to a flat $9 subscription fee, so many people would leave. People who weren't paying anything to begin with. SOTA will only get better through investing money. If SOTA was raking in money, I promise you Catnip would hire every developer they could afford. But it isn't, because there are lot of people playing who simply don't want to pay anything. They want a free game in every sense of the word. There are people who will play for free for years and scream every time some mentions spending $4.99 on some item. Honestly, Catnip doesn't need players like that. If optional content for a low price disgusts someone, then Catnip is wasting money on them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Heh.

FBohler likes this.
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

That happens if you offer a game for free to download and play.

When a company makes the decision to offer their game for free, then there must be a logic in that - either they expect some of the free players sooner or later to get hooked up and buy something they like or at the very least more players - even those playing for free - makes the game more known to the world and spreads the word to others who might join playing the game. As an "empty" looking game deters some people filling some space with people playing for free is a good idea and having more people play will mean they speak about the game with their aquaintances who might join too - so giving the game away for free instead of demanding a price is like paying for advertising.

FBohler likes this.
  7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

These new zones would have to offer stellar content to be worth the price. I mean, "regular content" as found in the newest zones added (e.g. Grusk and its factory, Vikland, Outlaw's Run) wouldn't be well received for a fee. There's very little "new content" in there, pretty much a reuse of the game's assets in a slightly different manner. You can get these 3 zones benefits/gameplay in Ep1 zones.

Now if they add some new feature like the old promise of "Perks" or just a new skill tree like when you get Ep2, or maybe make the new zone very interesting to raid for good items / XP / resources, then people won't be that mad at the monetizing strategy.

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

We will not support paywalls (putting up scenes for even a $1 that include playable content such as quests or mobs is a paywall to get to certain content).

We do offer a subscription for players to help support the game that provide a good value every month (the players get way more in value than the $9 they subscribe for). We are looking at a second tier subscription that would most likely see a larger allotment of COTOs (at a better discount than the tier1 subscription), but we did not place this on an active deployment plan because the existing subscription system needed repair work. With that done, the team can now discuss what expansions we could implement with regards to subscriptions.
    As well, we offer crowns for purchase that can be used in game via the crown store, or even in trade to other players, as most games F2P or otherwise do.

There could be DLC considered in the future, but not as part of the Episodic roadmap, and that type of offering would not be a $1 or $5 scenario. Again, not currently on the roadmap.

We are on record that we are hoping to offer "mini scenes" for purchase in the Crown Store that would be placeable as a basement, but ... these scenes would not have Dev created quests or Mobs spawning in them.

9. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

Isn't Episode 2 behind a paywall?

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  10. Seggallion

Seggallion Avatar

Free players tell more free players about a game they can play for a free? That isn't a great business model. I mean if Catnip wants to provide a free game out of the kindness of their heart, then more power to them. But I assume they want to make some money, enough to at least break even. No one has to buy it. Why would all the free players care about optional content? Listening and catering to free players is why we can't afford more content, models, PvP, etc. Free players can be a part of any ecosystem, but you have to paying customers as part of that ecosystem. And for them, you need to give them content worth the money.

11. Vero

Vero Avatar

First thing that came to mind: we pay $25 for a name change, 5 bucks for a complete zone sounds like a bargain ;p.

I get your point tho, but i think 'exclusivety' is not the flavor of SOTA

My 2c

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Episode 2 is a DLC, Base game is F2P, expansions have a reasonable cost to obtain, but microtransactions for content access is not the way we want to make money. Access to specific scenes for money would be adhoc and not tied to a DLC

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~This Idea's Good Salvage Pieces~
    Enviorment effecting magic is not a bad idea at all. If there's something in a special area that causes that magic to become available or other magic to become ineffective only in whatever areas this "special whatever it is"... we could then see players working up those skills to deal with those areas, which would leave holes in many a player's abilities to deal with other content... other content where that special magic cannot be used. It would be a chr that would be in need of a group party in other content if it were to become powerful within the special zone content's zone.

(EXP specialized interesting skill sump skills+:thumbs up:)
    Pay wall not needed... dev funds needed :p with allot more!
    (Time Lord the babbler)
    ~Time Lord~

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Variety. Throwing the same fireball on all enemies will become boring after some time. Sure, you could be the fieriest Fire Mage around, but would you thrown fire at a Fire Elemental and expect it to do as much damage as against human enemies?

Arrows and blades rend are somewhat less effective vs. skeletal undead. Why should the colours of magic be different and donĀ“t have targets they work best, normal or not at all against?

I would expect Water Elementals to be stronger in rain, Fire Elemants close to lava pits heat, Ice Elementals in a Blizzard, Earth Elemtals under the earth in caverns of natural stone...

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Good Question" :D

Treasure Hunting comes to mind, player made Golems another (we'd need tinkering). I 'm not mentioning lethal skills because I think we have far too many lethal skills and like you said, things like this already dictated through the monster content without the instance carrying the effect.

I know some places here in Thailand where fireflies cover an area the size of a few football fields. Like a single entity at times and at other times randomly shifting. It would be cool to see some magical place like that.

Random encounters come to mind when I think of special content as the OP mentions.

I couldn't describe such an instance because I think at some point there must be a point to the instance which connects with or complements our game's future storyline secrets.

I think we still need a random instance that produces agriculture fertilizers and or seed treatments. We also so far have yet to have more agriculture instances, places where agriculture tasks can be done for reward.

I think there's allot of "possible content" that we will never see. Also these wishlist things tend to be abstracts. More like pointing a direction than an actual destination motive.
    ~TL~

Barugon likes this.
  16. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

idk, I've been suggesting the adventure pack idea such as seen in successful games like DDO and LOTRO for a long time. More money + more content = win + win

Time Lord likes this.