More randomness is a good thing

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by BeachGolf, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeachGolf

BeachGolf Avatar

I hope the developers can incorporate as much randomness into the quest lines as possible to make it more re-playable and also to add more play time to complete the game. Randomness can take a lot of forms. First, a quest-giver could have a list of quests and you get a random one and you have to do something else before you get another one from that NPC. Or, during a quest, the items you need are placed randomly across a confined area so you have to hunt a little to find them. The randomly-placed objects could open up a new income stream for developers to allow players to pay for hints showing exactly where the hard-to-find object is (pay in gold or whatever) rather than just the general area that was already given.

Spawn points should be random within confined areas, not in exact spots. This is one of my pet-peaves of many MMO's today. You always know where certain monsters will pop up. Can you have them spawn at a random location between here and there? Then, let them wander around within a confined area? Just keep the maximum enemies to a certain number and periodically delete and re-spawn them one at a time in case they get stuck or grouped too much?

I like the random encounters in the overland map, but it doesn't happen often enough. There should be a little more danger when wandering off of the road. The battle map area for those encounters should be smaller so you have to either fight or run, not run around forever looking for them or how to get back out.

Puzzles, especially if they can be randomly generated, could be incorporated in quests to give an added challenge, but with better rewards if you solve it.

Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.