Mouting combat

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Moosh, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

One of the great features in UO was the mounting combat.
    WIll it have its place in SotA?
    If so... I would trully like to see Tamers beeing able to use theyr combat pets mounted, not like UO where u had to jump off your nightmare to use it or having to manuver your dragon across some obstacle.
    - Dragon come
    -dragon come .... a thousand times, lols
    Imagine a fighter-Tamer mounting a dragon (dragonlance).

2. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

I like the idea of mounted combat, but do you remember how unbalanced it was 3-4 years into the game..they added ethereals and made it dumb not to have one..I think mounted combat should 100% be included some way, as long as there are no easy buttons like ethereal mounts..

As for the taming and attacking while mounted..not so sure that would be a good thing unless the rider couldn't damage while it was happening or the mount did way less damage..or we will have a ton of gamers running around on mares and dragons lol

3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

UO didn't really have proper mounted combat - it had a pet you could double click on to make you go faster. It was really just a speed buff.

I would hope any mounts in the game behaved and moved more like proper horses and such so that they'd require a bit more careful control.

4. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Well I mean ya..given that it was 2D overhead I guess that's best you could have hoped for at the time..I'd like a bit more control over a mount that's for sure. Even to the extent of having to feed it, shoe it, train it,groom it..all factors being considered for its strength,ability to ride, it's speed etc etc

5. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

I think that mount fighting requires concentration on the rider to keep himself on top of the horse, nightmare whaterever. For sure it will unbalance things if they do the same dmg wile riding but, will it unbalance things?.... i really dont remember anyone fighting on the ground in UO, everyone was mounted so ..... And yes.. the ethereals were stupid. About tamers, their main output dmg is done by the pet itself, i dont think its a hard thing to balance things. Its just gonna be easyer to manuver the pet.

6. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

Sure that give us a new profession in the game.
    A tamer that is not aimed for fighting.
    A breeder of some kind.
    The same way we could combine different sorts of plants to make different plants in Uo we could do to have horses with different skins, atributes and stuff.
    Kinda remember FF with the chocobos lol.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It'll be a good long awhile before we see anything like this.. but I think it's more or less assured.. possibly for EP2. We know horses/mounts will go into the game and we also know that it probably won't be at launch. The idea of jousts, tourny's, list fields has been brought up before and RG seemed to like the idea but indicated it wouldn't be something they'd get in right away.

Well if we end up with jousts and such we'll certainly have mounted combat I'm sure.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  8. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

When mounts are introduced... owning a mount should be expensive. Expensive to house, feed, armor, train and heal if injured. It should be expensive to replace a favorite mount that dies in combat.

9. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I`m really looking forward to horses in SotA. Hopefully the devs can eventually add hot air balloons, boats, and magic carpets too. I really loved the boats and flying vehicles in the previous Ultimas. Plus Witcher 3 is suppose to have both boats and horses in it, and the later Zeldas have had horses in them since the Nintendo 64, so SotA can`t let CDProjectRed and Nintendo show them up.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I seriously hate the idea of horses (or any non-combat pet) getting killed. Anyone so much as scratches my horse and I will hunt them down and give them a world of hurt. <- see this face.. this is not a happy face.

11. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Would love to see full on jousting as part of the game.

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Totally agree there. Mounts will be expensive, and really good combat mounts (if ever included) will go beyond expensive. How much work will go into turning a dragon into an active combat mount? And then someone goes and kills it first time I'm out? No. Just no.

But maybe, if my discipline stat gets worn down, the mount panics, chucks me, and runs away? Then I'm left stunned/knocked down for a sec, and my entire build and layout were centered around a now missing mount?

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heheh well I understand where you're coming from but my reasons quite different. I'm something of a horse person myself. I would simple be highly annoyed to have someone injure my horse for any reason. Even if I could afford a herd of well trained war horses I'd rather leave them behind if I thought I was running a risk of one of them getting killed. :)

14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, yeah, I remember hunting people down when what they chose to do in game insulted my ethical views, I get that. I'm just looking for a way to make mounted combat fair to both players. I don't wanna get stomped just because I'm not a tamer/wealthy, and I don't wanna put in the effort/cash to get a mount and then lose it. Yes, realistically, having a mount is a tremendous advantage, which is why it was used (and still is, if you think of modern vehicular warfare), but I'd rather keep some unrealism and let a character on foot have a decent chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.