Multi-Person Crafting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Galadriel O`Sullivan, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galadriel O`Sullivan

Galadriel O`Sullivan Avatar

I had a unique idea early today, I havent really seen this in anyother videogame before and I thought that if anything it would belong in something like SOTA. I was thinking back to other medieval type sources like LOTR and any of the countless things like that and something dawned on me. What if it was possible to create powerful weapon/armor in-game that would require a crafting skill that is higher then the max of a sole person. If you think about it all these legendary weapons or armor in the fantasy universes are not created by just a single crafter, they usually involve multiple cratfers. For instance, lets say 2 max skill crafting players could come together at a forge or crafting table to create an item that is not possible for someone to create by themselves. With this feature you could create very powerful items that would be extemely rare and would be worth alot of money, in turn it would take an immense amount of materials to create therefore not making it so powerful. You could even have an item that takes lets say 10 max grand master crafters with a CHESTFULL of materials to create a single unique item that is very powerful, this could thus be sold at a market for a ridiculous amount of coin, or equipped by one of the creators to wield on the battlefield. This could be done a specific type of forge or craftingtable that can enable 10 people to use a create this item. This is just a cool concept I thought of and I would like to get some feedback from the community on how this would work or could be tweaked. Thanks everybody ^_^

                                              Captainduckies

Aartemis, Grayhawk, jondavis and 5 others like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This guy gets it. Good form old boy.

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

My question is who would end up being the "owner" of said items?

4. Galadriel O`Sullivan

They would designate one before crafting began

OSullivan likes this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

The sword of 1000 smiths.....

Captainduckies likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Most games model this today by requiring some component from the top end of some other profession. e.g. metal treated by a top alchemist, then given to a weapon smith, then engraves by a jeweler, then enchanted...

I also like the idea that you can acquire (daily?) units of “help” that you can spend on someone. The most obvious example being like Farmville. But this could also be modeled as giving someone a speed or quality “buff” for a day. I think of this as you’re character has x number of off hours doing something when he’s not being played actively. How can we use this to strengthen the community?

Skalex and OSullivan like this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I love it!

The Sims Online, when it first came online, had a form of multi-person crafting, though different from this. For each person working on the same craft within the same lot, every person crafted a little faster, gained xp a little faster, and the resulting items were slightly higher quality. There was a pretty significant bump from 1 to 2, but then the gains were infinitesimal... but it was enough that it was downright amazing when you had 20 people gathered at a lot specifically designed to cater to a particular craft, all working together. It really, really encouraged gathering together and strong communities.

OSullivan likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Great idea, but my thoughts exactly. Sure, they could decide before hand or flip a coin or whatever. But how will the game enforce that decision? It would need to implement a mechanic to do so, or people would have to RP it. I see that going over as well as a precious little ring we all know about :)

Lord Ravnos, Grayhawk and OSullivan like this.
  9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Use the same mechanic (or lack thereof) that will be employed for distributing loot. Either "he who grabs it first/honor system", or a need vs. greed type rolling system.

smack and OSullivan like this.
  10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Love this idea, get the greatest minds together to make something even greater.
    And they can make more then one, so best to bring enough resources so they all can have one.

NirAntae likes this.
  11. Galadriel O`Sullivan

In order for them to specify someone there would be a menu pop up before crafting began where whoever starts the crafting process chooses who he or she would like to add to the crafting session, and once all members are chosen a second simple menu would pop up where everyone would choose the person to receive the item at the end of crafting. This would have to be unanimous decision amongst the crafters. Once that is delt with there would be a quick confirmation for all crafters and then the process would begin.

OSullivan likes this.
  12. High Baron O`Sullivan

LFM 1000 GM smiths to help make [Recipie-The Sword of 1000 Smiths]! PST

Captainduckies likes this.
  13. Galadriel O`Sullivan

Must have ilvl of 1200 or more

OSullivan likes this.
  14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I really just want a mechanic like this for community buildings or perhaps preparing a great feast. I don't want individuals running around with uber swords.

15. High Baron O`Sullivan

Yea the sword was just a joke, but the feast and community building idea is awesome as well. I think anything that involves people having to work together is a good thing, and would be interesting to see how that could be used in SotA with crafting, if not in episode 1 maybe a future episode.

16. Galadriel O`Sullivan

They wouldn't necessarily be insanely powerful, you could just make some of these items a little more powerful then base items so that only people who really wish to squeeze out as much damage as possible would seek them. Or you could have these items be as strong as normal items but they would get special bonuses for being created by many masters of the forge.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Multi-person crafting would be great for buildings...

18. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Hmmm...what about ships? You can pretty much include every crafter; tailors for the sails, carpenters for the wood, cooks for stored supplies, etc.

Who gets the ship? Maybe its for the New Britannia Royal Navy. So it would be like a community contract. People use their skills in unique ways, get to hang out together, make a couple of gold coins, and make the harbor of a city or town is safer. Everybody wins. And the kicker...everyone who works on the project can throw out a name for the ship. A city or town official chooses the best one. Can you guys see something like that working for SotA?

smack likes this.
  19. Galadriel O`Sullivan

As you all can see this concept can go so many ways in terms of items crafting, building creation, and even ship making, but for I think the best option to focus on as a small step to seeing this get implimented would purley be crafting. I would most like to let the developers have there say in how things like building creation and ship making mechanics would work in game as I can not atone for something like thats credidbility in-game. This would be a great implimentation and love hearing feedback from you guys!

20. Galadriel O`Sullivan

^Bump

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.