Multiplayer rewards for storyline quests (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This was a big selling point and still one of my favorite features of this game.

Spoon and Cordelayne like this.
  2. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

I could give you a huge list of enjoyable single player RPG's

Basically I look at it like this, if I wanted a good steak its possible the butcher could do it, but its more likely the cook will have a better result...
    Or
    I want to play a good game I play it on a PC not the console version.....
    Or
    You want a good motherboard you buy from Asus not Intel, but you want a decent Processor then Intel is your guy!

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wasn't asking for an analogy or if you approve or not. I was simply pointing out that it's one of my favorite features of this game.

jfoytek likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In this case about 50% of the Kickstarter funding cane from single player backers.
    So in your analogy the cook wouldn't have a kitchen to cook in if it wasn't for all the friends of the butcher's

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So we will again get multiplayer rewards for "single-player narrative", "story-driven" quests with the virtue banners?

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'm confused?
    The banners are deco items which are very much a part of the single player experience.
    So could you please elaborate on what you think is the multiplayer reward here.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

For me it is not relevant to the story or the development of the world and my hero. What if I don't have a house or am not interested in deco items? What is the reward I get? The banner then is junk for me. So I get junk as a reward for completing a quest.
    Imho the reward for a quest should always be relevant to the quest/story or me as the hero - for example a better weapon which will then help me in the next quest etc.

Aldo likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So the feedback wasn't about multi vs single then?
    But rather that you think the reward is junk since you wouldn't have a house?

Fair enough, I guess. One man's treasure is another man's junk and vice versa.

But just because some users wouldn't have a house doesn't mean that the typical user wouldn't. In offline mode having multiple houses would be practical and rewarding for the typical user. Where collecting virtue banners would be akin to achievements which are very popular in most RPGs for the typical user. The fallout dolls comes easily to mind. In the ultimas of old then collecting the virtue shrine blessings and praying at the right time etc was a big thing for me.

Although I do agree with having more practical rewards that tie into the progress of the story arc, if the Mage Warrior and Archer archetypes are represented in the paths I do expect more items for such archetypes gained while progressing through those paths.
    But just because I want more of X doesn't necessarily mean that I'd advocate for less of Y if both X and Y are popular.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

A banner - at least for me - is a reward that does make more sense in multiplayer as you can show it off in your house.

Maybe it would be possible to have the game decide what reward the player gets according to his class, his skills, his equipment etc.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Not really feasible in that it requires extra code and bug maintenance for little gain.

Instead giving the player options between reward A or reward B or reward C is a much much better solution. Then it is up to the player what they prefer and appreciate while the coding and bug vectors are much smaller.

It would also be more logical from an immersive angle in that if King Twobeard wants to reward you for saving the princess then it would make sense that he gives you the choice between some ancient weapon, a piece of land or just a chest filled with coins. While it doesn't make sense that he would give you only a specific one that you don't appreciate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.