Multiple Characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Segalleon Jovilere, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

I have been playing the game for over a year. My character is a heavy armor/bludgeon spec with some earth magic. There is only so much you can do with one character. He isn't efficient in every situation.

I am thinking of buying ten character slots. For instance:
    • Fire / Focus
    • Water / Focus
    • Life /Focus
    • Moon /Focus
    • Air / Focus
    • Blades / Shield
    • Blades / Light Armor
    • Ranged / Air
    • Ranged / Light Armor
    • Bard / Taming
    Am I going to regret buying so many character slots?

Dysis likes this.
  2. Rhodrisan

Rhodrisan Avatar

In my opinion, yes, you will regret it. If you want to have those other skills - train them up on your current character. Get the skills in those areas up to 100+ and play it a bit to see what you like. You will need different equipment for the builds - but that is not hard to come by. With different decks you can switch between skillsets very quickly as needed. You will spend the same amount of time gathering xp and leveling those skills for every one of those characters as you have already spent - and to change you must relog and move that character to where you need them. Having all that invested in your current character will also improve their performance with the skills you already have. While you can only have two spec skills at once - there is no limit on what else you train. I have most of the skills over 100; and the ones I like at 120-140 or so. I can switch my choice in spec usually in a few hours, raising the new choice to 100 quickly.

Additionally, as you get some of those skillsets trained - trying out the next spec choice is much faster as you already have half of it trained (focus/light armor/etc).

Now, that said, getting a really high spec takes a long time. Eventually, you may want to pick where you want to land and then push those skills up higher. Trying a bunch of things is an investment of xp. Or not. Try them out - have fun.

Blast ItAll - Jack of Trades; Master of None

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  3. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

When we started playing back in 2016, there were no wardings, so being good at all skills was really nice, but with the introduction of wardings, yes, if you find a build you love, an alt or two is very fun, as you can dedicate to it, what you want precisely. So I back what Rhodrisan has said, you would regret just grabbing 10, but maybe a few could be very entertaining. For me, it was fun to finally play a dedicated healer I made long ago. It just took me a lil while to realize it was worth it. There is some rule, where your best 10 skills get a bonus, so, planning can go pretty deep. Have fun!

P.S.- You also do get a really nice orb that used to be required for Universe chat, and now makes for great deco for each character alt you make.

4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i think your list might answer your question. there is a lot of overlap in that list (ie focus is a good example) and having to retrain the same spec/skills on that many different chars is a lot of extra time and effort. given that, i do have 3 chars. one is my main that i use most of the time, one is used mainly for experimentation, and one is dedicated to proving that a char with lvl 80 skills can still be awesome (ie all skills are purposely limited to 80).

another way to try things out is to use the Q/A server. with that server you will have a recent copy of your chars and can experiment to your hearts content :)

5. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Before putting that much work into those character builds, it might be worth playing with them in offline mode. By editing the save file, you can give yourself all the XP, skills, etc you need to play with those builds. Then, if you find that you do like that build, you have a good template to follow for the online characters.

I've used this method a few times to discover that a cool build idea I had really didn't fit my play style.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  7. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

I have tried using save-game editors. They work great for skills, money, and COTO. I can't get them to work for raw materials.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you have at least one in your main inventory, you can set the count. Click the Items button.

9. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

Fire and Moon magic will not need focus...pick another support tree like water, Sun or Earth...Air can definitely benefit from focus...I have 5 toons...Pugilism Monk, Air Mage with sun compliment, Moon mage with water compliment, 2H Blades/Air in Leather armor swordsman and a Death with Sun compliment. The Air mage is my main and very powerful, but surprisingly my moon/water mage is devastating in control point groups and with a small team...my biggest challenge is my monk...total experimentation...

10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I wouldn't bother buying slots at all, if you want to do this. Just make other accounts. Unless something's changed it's totally allowed, as long as you don't use it to sock-puppet the forums.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Accounts are free and that's what I've done with my different chars. Been playing like that for a long time.

12. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

I listened to the advice. I bought just 5 additional slots. I made five very distinct characters, from skills to equipment. There is very minimal overlap between characters. Other than having to grind for XP all over again, I am having fun with each one. I have a better feel for each character and am better able to connect with them. They each have distinct "personalities". I realize it is a flaw in how my brain works and wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone.

Vaentorian and Lily Byrd like this.
  13. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

That's what matters :)

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Something that has not been mentioned in this thread:

SotA displays always the name of the currently online avatar as the owner of all lots or POT´s in the game and as the avatar in other persons friend lists.

So if you have more than 1 avatar on one character account and own a lot or a POT then the name of the owner will change every time you log on with a different avatar from the same character account.

If you have friends in SotA they will see different names (that they might not recognize) in their friends list when you go online with a different avatar on the same character account.

e.g. I have 3 characters on one account: Henry Fletcher as a sort of Ranger, Herbert Taraxacum (Wizard), Michael Romes (Knight)

I got a lot in Yew for Henry and named it "Henrys Hunting Hut" - but when looking at the lot list the "owner" always changes, depending with which character I´m loogged in at the time.

And when people add me to their friends lists while I´m online as Henry Fletcher they might see "Herbert Taraxacum" in their friends lists the next time I go online with my different avatar - and they could only guess that it´s an alternate account as there is no ingame way to see for them in the friends lists that both are the same character account unless you tell them. I started to use the "edit/notes" function to write it down because I get confused sometimes myself when a pal of mine happens to be online with his 3 different avatars at different times...

Tiina Onir likes this.
  15. Lily Byrd

Lily Byrd Avatar

I have several character slots because I also like having distinctly different builds, but also because I do enjoy role play occasionally and I like having a choice of characters to play. I am glad to hear you have found what works for you. We all do it differently. Getting high level takes a long time and that's not such a bad thing is it?

16. Segalleon2

Segalleon2 Avatar

I have been playing my different builds and have each one near adventure level 110. My observation so far has been that specialized characters are more powerful in their given chosen fields. For instance, my Fire Mage with skills at 110 is more powerful than my "omni" character. It was said that the attunement system with its opposing magic trees, wasn't working. I am seeing much more damage out of my Fire Mage with no water attunement, than I am with my "omni" character that has all magic trees at 110.

It is also much easier for me to attune my gear to one field. My Fire Mage has all Fire attunement gear, food, and potions. Yeah, character progression is slower because I spread my time out, but I tend to have a better focus and understanding of each character and what they are capable of. For production, each character concentrates on just one skill, like gathering, field dressing, etc. They are already reaching higher levels than my "omni" who spread out his production XP. That is just my two cents.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just to make it clear, the only skill from the water tree that affects fire attunement is Fire Warding. Water Magic Specialization will lower your fire resistance but will have no effect on how powerful your fire spells are. Those two skills are the only ones that have any impact on fire magic. The same for Water Warding and Fire Magic Specialization in regards to water magic.

Chubbles likes this.