Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My R29 impressions: mostly positive

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Damian Killingsworth, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

R29 Feedback

This has been the best release to date with many broad strokes and sweeping changes. My general assessment of R29 is positive. The overall feel of the game seems more immersive due to improved difficulty, advancement rate, NPC dialogue, sound effects, and visual effects. Furthermore, the performance optimizations are working splendidly with my aging system.

The controversial new targeting system is a good direction in my opinion. Despite the common complaint that it is too conventional for such a forward thinking project, the system not only will save us from repetitive stress injuries in the future, but also allows for the option of the original “cursor” mode. So, if you don't like it, don't use it :) .It took a short while to get used to, but I quickly adapted to it within a couple of hours of play. I especially appreciate the crit bonus for good aim (at least this is what I understand to to be the case, please correct me if I am wrong). This rewards hand eye coordination effort rather than just skill level.

The quests, while short and incomplete, are starting to take form and I like what I see so far. The dialogue is witty and pulls me into the story. I got a genuine feeling of joy to see Arabella (I think thats her name, the guide from the very beginning of the story) at the tavern in Resolute, like running into an old friend. I look forward to questing, but I will likely wait for release to go too far into the story line.

As far as difficulty and advancement, it seems relatively on point considering the fast gain buff. I have played about 15 hours of R29 and feel like I am still playing 2 and 3 skull areas. While many testers find this quite aggravating due to multiple wipes and never being able to attain the ability to fight bosses and enemies other than bears wolves spiders and cookie cutter humanoids, I, personally, would like my advancement to spread across at least 40 hours of gameplay. Who really wants to max out after a few hours of play? Instant gratification may be desirable, but it won't leave you feeling like you got the full value of your pledge/purchase.

I am glad to see the SFX/VFX rolling in (they are still really poor but even placeholders make a huge difference in immersion). The near death effect is annoying, but it allows for a style of play with very few HUD options visible.

Thanks for the optimization efforts. I can imagine this is very labor intensive and tedious. Making effort in this area is much appreciated at this late stage in development. I can see the scene instancing working much better with shorter load times.

Really, the best thing I have noticed about changes to the game is how optional everything is. You guys set out to make a MMORPG/RPG that has something for everyone. It is said that you can't please everyone all the time, but I got to say, this is the spirit of the project and you guys have come really close; closer than any other game I have played.

AWESOME

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Theres more to come on the reticle targeting to make it more compatable with autoattack and i believemore customizationfor the reticleison the way as well.

kbruder likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There better be.
    I play on a daily basis with a dozen or so friends, and have yet to hear ONE of them say they enjoy the new system of combat.

himmelweiss likes this.
  4. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.