my thoughts on the aftermath of a pk kill.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by wmidgard, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

No not at all, but that does not mean that they are not forgetting about PvP. There is 5% of all the hexes that are contested hexes. This is just one element of content that PvP has.

Take World of Warcraft for example. There are battleground and arenas. Those elements of content do not detract from the PvE in WoW.

We don't know if this 5% or 10% of the world will be in a constant state of migration or static. I imagine a little of both. But if things migrate then there will be even less of a percentage of the world that is not accessible as PvE.

No it's not catering to PvP it's providing some PvP content without devaluing the desire to PvP.

Isaiah and Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes but in wow the pvp have no looting, which is something that would inspire the pve crowd in sota to do pvp

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

We can't possibly know the amount of reward until they put it in game. Yes, that could be balanced poorly and we would all need to PvP to be economically competitive. Or they could make it slight enough that people will have to fight, hard, to win their reward and then keep it.

Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Have you looked at the looting system for SotA. There is little chance to loot anything as far as I can tell.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not mind the combat, or how hard it is, but if you want to attract new pvp'rs, the loot policy has to be minimal

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The current plans are to have only 5% of the map devoted to PvP enabled hexes, leaving 95% of the map as PvE, save for those that that have flagged themselves for Global PvP. Those hexes may have bonus resources there. There will no resources in PvP hexes that are not available elsewhere. I don't see this as a economy twisting advantage, and as a primarily PvE player (I'm waiting for the final design of PvP, and a glimps into the culture that grows up around it) I see no problem with this even if it is as you propose and only PvP players will benefit. Actually, that's a given with the design, as entering the hex flags you for PvP, making you a PvP player. And, I don't believe there the intent is to make the PvP hexes endless fonts on resources... There will be More, not Infinitely More.

It's just not going to be that big an advantage... Let them have it.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

and that would be the best thing to do. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I suggest you educate yourself on what the Developers have proposed before complaining. We could have saved pages of text correcting your misconceptions.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you miss my point, why should pvp have extra resources if not trying to entice pvp? And if they are trying to entice pve into pve then the their should be minimal looting. I can understand resources and gold as loot but not full loot.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Enlighten me sir with your knowledge! I by the way am not complaining, and have a point, maybe you should read all my posts

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You don't want to fight that fight, and I shan't pursue it further in this forum. There is no profit in it.

Isaiah and Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Rufus, I agree with most all your posts, and I know you have read many of mine. I know what is proposed and what is not. There are many people pushing for full loot, and as far as we know the ransome system is not set in stone is it? So therefore I offer my opinion against full loot as it is a deterent against some pve people wanting to dabble in pvp. I know you can understand this position right? So when I ask certain questions from certain people I want to get their stance on certain positions that they may not realize they have. Its the one step at a time, leading the horse to water theory. Now I don't know if you can follow this line of thinking. My guess is you can. I do try to get people to step by step understand the logic of a pve'r, and henceforth understand the logic behind pve thinking. Like I said I agree with most all of your posts, and I really do not see why you have so much hostility toward me.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

PvP hex: Rare resource or rare creature spawn in more abundance.
    PvE hex: Rare resource or rare creature spawn in more challenging areas.

The balance would need to be adjusted to how the devs feel the pace of access of the rares are moving in both type of hexes.

Rares are, well, rare. The more abundance is only to address the added risk of PvP. They will still be rare for both PvE and PvP.

Isaiah likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

EXACTLY. This is one of the big issues. I like to go around to dungeons and do lots of cool stuff like that. Yet if you want to continue to PvP (especially if you flagged for continuous Open PvP) there must be some time spent gathering loot and resources.

When I PvPed in UO, I was self sufficient. I had loads of reagents from my PvP kills, and I had plenty of resources to keep myself going. I could PvP constantly day in and day out. That's what kept me going in UO after getting my character to his maximum potential. I had a few other characters but I really was my main guy.

If I lost more materials than I received in return, and could not reduce loot into ingots to help repair my gear, and make new gear... then that would mean I would be forced to go grind for more gold to buy ingots, or buy gear. I did go into dugeons and get gold from time to time to change things up, but I really enjoyed the PvP portion. However if I died too often, or could not support myself doing PvP then I don't know if I would want to PvP that much if at all.

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Can I ask you one question. What was the intent of Richard Making this game. Was it for you challenging yourself to find your avatar, and for the content of the game, in ritual with the previous games, or is it to worry about how a pvp'r can make money as a murderer and theif?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Should we screw the PvP members of the community just to try to get some people interested in PvP who may not even want to PvP? It seems to me that if somebody likes the thrill of PvP they would have no problem with some looting.

No loot is ridiculous. To get a ransom isn't going to be good.

Here's an alternative. If Portalarium refuses to allow looting, then maybe they would allow some generated loot. I think it is a weird idea, but so is not having loot.

WoW PvP is not a good example to draw any conclusions from. Saying WoW had PvP without looting means nothing to me, because I thought WoW PvP was the most miserable PoS I've ever played. I cannot emphasize just how bad it was. If SotA had WoW-like PvP (No loot, no strategy, just fight fight fight die, respawn fight fight fight die, repawn. Then maybe you earn something in order to buy "PVP GEAR" holy crap PvP only gear was worse than the PvP system.

I honestly don't know why anybody plays WoW PvP. There is no real strategy about it nor is there anything personal about it. It is team based working toward some stupid goal that has no worth to me as the player. There is no way to be any better than anybody else. Skill doesn't come into play... rather 2 or 3 people turn on you and you automatically die. SO STUPID. I HATE THAT GAME. I am not using the word hate lightly!

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they want to build a game that has no PvP in it then count me out. I throw my pledge in the trash. I don't care. I've lost interest in this game.

If this game doesn't have PvP in it then it may as well just be a single player game as far as I'm concerned. PvP is good end game content. It is also one of the most exciting. Once a player has experienced it they are hooked to the experience. It is a rush.

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes, I know how you feel, and when you get ganked it sucks. But 2 or three people ganking you in wow is not so different than 2 or 3 people ganking you in sota. you will respawn in sota also, just like wow. If 3 people attack you, no matter how hard you try, its not going to be fair, right? I am against gear based pvp and we agree on that. Now the only thing that is in question really is the loot. You want to sustain yourself as a fighter off of other people that you kill. that in itself is not bad and I do not dissagree with you. I just am looking at it from enticing new players to join. If you do not have the loot set right people will not join. You and me both know that this generation is instant gratification based. they lose they take their ball home. They are not made of the same steel as the uo generation. I am telling you if they do not make it fun for the new player, and the new player feels griefed, they wont play long....and you will have your lonely felluca again.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Instead of full loot think about this option... https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nt-thinking-megapost.8247/page-11#post-140638

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It will have pvp, and great pvp I think, but people are hooked on the full loot thing, and it is one thing that turns pve off. Why cannot people be happy with a win.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.