My turn for a missing game feature thread! Sleeping in offline!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by docdoom77, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I've mentioned this in the SP offline thread, but it hasn't received much real attention.

Time advancement through sleeping is, in my mind, an absolute requirement for the offline mode. In a game that has NPC schedules and rotating moon rifts, some ability to advance time in the offline mode is not something that should be tabled or put on a wish list.

I have absolutley NO interest in playing a RPG of this scope, if I'm spending most of my gaming time standing around and waiting. Need to talk to an important NPC? Sorry it's midnight. Enjoy standing around for a while. Need to follow the suspicious guard to see what he does in his off hours? Enjoy standing around for a few hours.

It's utterly inconcievable to me, that this feature is not being given a high priority. Richard is concerned enough about "realism" to include a complex cooking system based on the body's needs for different macros, but it's okay that Avatars never sleep?

If the game launches without the ability to sleep in offline mode (the only version of the game that holds any interest for me), then I don't see myself playing the game. If I get 30 minutes of game time before I have to put the kids to bed, I don't want to spend 20 of it waiting around for time to advance. It's preposterous to think that such a feature would be optional.

Please, Portalarium. Please. Reconsider this.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Three different concepts there.
    1-fast forward of time
    2-"sleeping" avatar feature
    3-need for faster gratification

3. LostBMe

LostBMe Avatar

Maybe if they don't give us sleep (offline) they'll come up with something else that can only happen at night - which wouldn't happen during the day and that needed to happen to have some stories go on? I kind of like not sleeping at night but doing more stuff that can only happen at night times.:)

steanne likes this.
  4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I'm fairly certain they'll give us stuff that can only happen at night as well as all the things that can only be done during the day. If Richard is true to form there will be more than a few things that can only be done between midnight and 1 a.m. THAT is the problem. Without time advancement, your're stuck waiting for midnight or 8am or however long it takes a moonrift to cycle.

Anyone who's playted Ultima 4 through 7 knows what a pain it would be without the ability to take a nap and/or hold down the space bar for rapid time advancement.

I play games to have fun. Endlessly waiting for the proper time is NOT fun.

LostBMe likes this.
  5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Don't forget Ultima III and the town of Dawn. That was a blasted nuisance to wait for. :)

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Absolutely yes. My hero needs to sleep after battling dragons, undead and trolls ;)

docdoom77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.