Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New 'choose your entrance' dialog is a time wasting PITA if you only know one.

Discussion in 'Release 46 Feedback Forum' started by Widsith [MGT], Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Could we just have that dialog skipped if you only know one way to enter a scene?

Skyo and Gix like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Not only that, but I could use a screenshot of the area to get a better idea of where I'm going. Similar to the way Dark Souls does the traveling with the bonfires.

Entering Central Brittany for the first time in R46 and being asked "where do you want to go?" confused me because it just listed a bunch of locations I didn't know about.

"What IS the West Gate?" "Is that the one with the docks?" "If that's the docks, why is it facing south on the overworld?"

Quenton and Innascual Inch like this.
  3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Before and after the first visit we know about THIS entrance.
    The dialogue to choose an entrance gives an idea about more possibilities ... but as you write: don't really helps at this point, until we found the others ...

Having a map in our inventory from the place we enter, it could open it and show the possibilities.
    Now, if we could click on it, it would be a good solution not to waste time ...
    And at this point the in game maps would really make sense to buy - and use :)

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  4. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I agree with the Gix! How about displaying sotamap next to the list of entry locations and highlight them on the map when you select them on the list?

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

can you not make it rely on something that doesn't work for everyone yet please? sotamap integration does not work for linux.

Quenton and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I'm alright with it popping up the menu even if I only know a single entrance just so that I'm aware this is a scene that DOES indeed have different entry points available. You could argue later once all the scenes get this treatment and we could reasonably assume there are different points of entry that it'd be more of a waste, but right now I like knowing!

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, i specifically went to every scene on the list in the instructions and made SURE i had all the entrances marked.

Trihugger likes this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Avatar

I'm happy with the new menu, but things would be quicker and easier if I could just double-click on my preferred option, rather than having to click on it and then click on a button. Same goes for all of SoTA's menus.

9. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

This is one of the things I suggested when I first started playing (though I seriously doubt I was the EVER to suggest it :D), and I'm very happy to see it implemented! And when first zoning in, there's usually a signpost nearby in case your picked the wrong entrance. :)

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm waiting for the whining when Owl's Head gets it. Never mind that the current entrance is still useful for people trying to get to the lunar rift, and even if you got dropped in the town square, you still have to go by player lots to get out of town.

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Ideally for me the major and large towns get sizeable onscreen graphics so you can stand at the entrance in the overworld where you you want to enter the scene.

I agree, I don't want more prompts and dialogue. (Just Loading the game takes many clicks - Launcher, Play, Play, Acknowledge Construction, Login, Resume etc.)

Claiming a lot in a POT takes numerous prompts.

I don't want another dialogue for entering towns.

Other options:

1) If town is responsive, double click the N/W/S/E side of the town to enter there.
    2) Enter the town based on the direction your avatar is facing.
    3) Set-it-and-forget-it context menu via right-click on town?
    4) Prompt players when they enter a town to select their entrance when they have discovered a new one, with a checkbox that says "remember this selection" and allow a way to change it (right-click on town?).

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is what I would love to see, but the one place it actually got used, in Ardoris, it didn't work all that well. It was confusing until you realized that only the middle "hex" gave you the default entrance. But I want the ability to choose other entrances more than I want "simple". In fact, I've accidentally hit the E key so many times when I meant W, simply because my hand was off by one, and this has the useful side-effect of being a confirmation for entering a town.

13. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

And barely works even if you're in Windows.

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Ever tried to get in town, had the "Press E to enter" prompt but was facing a boat and suddenly you were loading a completely different area?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.