Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

new feedback r10!

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by mike11, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Hello, I am happy to be able to give new feedback for r10.

Ability "cards": new icons and animation are smooth but the point of the decks is still not clear.
    - suggestion: give sound when each new ability is read (for the first 5 only). Mainly a "action" related sound to signal when the player is (more) ready to fight. e.g. like a "power-up" sound.
    - I like how there is 2 hotbar types. Why not make more types that would be available using different key commands

- give cards and combat meaning by switch deck draw from a generated process to one that made from your actual fighting. eg. if skeleton knocks you down you will lose a card or gain a card. If you defend a attack then you get a new card. If you get slapped you might have 3 cards changed or re-drawn.
    - add other factors like : luck, critical, knocked down, tripped, stunned, silenced etc to the whole mechanic.

- don't like how the same abilities are used on different (random) keys. I think this is wrong and there is some reasons not to do so - most people don't want to remember different keys for regular abilities, it's a "bad gameplay" issue. Instead, have only 5 "hot draw" card slots and have the remainder slotted as regular abilities eg" 6 to +" (or similar). I'm thinking "hot draw" cards on the left, and regular slots on the right.

Overworld: Something's are still not right, but it is better.
    - make the actual walking areas "more 2d".
    - I don't like how the avatar walks on the grass/trees/mountains etc. It seems pointless
    - suggestion : try to overlay a black style map underneath the existing map as a new "layer".
    - show borders more clearly to traversable area
    - forests do not look that good currently and would be much better by using a more solid "tree terrain" type of tile. e.g. don't put trees on top of the map but make them part of it so the areas look more flattened.
    - continue to define the different "hex" and "tile" types look and interactiveness.
    - give more things to do on the world map!!!

Starting Areas: Start in Breamar is good, next step is to have 8 or so starting points all around the main map.
    - suggestion: temporarily leave "Lost Vale" area and move to new stage of main map exploration (even if it's not fully complete that is ok, people will want to start giving feedback on new areas)
    - make Moongates "like ultima 4".

UI
    - give command to switch to overland map anytime (where applicable). This will be a good feature!!
    - give the avatar dynamic movement acceleration
    - make the screen camera "bob" with movement??
    - inside dungeons in particular, improve the camera view so it is "more like Unreal engine" feel.
    - give "screenshots" a command in game to "Open file location" to your explorer view.

Social
    - can't have a conversation with NPC without losing the "attention" of the NPC everytime I hit "enter".
    - chat interface needs a overhaul with some new ideas to make it fresher
    - make a "gibberish" detector so if you type "ddddwwfrffff" chat will "turn off" automatically.

Gathering
    - I find this bad from the users perspective. Make it more like Ultima Online.. (sorry if I am missing something).

Sounds
    - sound distances are not properly setup.... One place you have no sound then the next you have sound full volume. (mainly for world sounds)..

Dungeons: MAKE ALL NEW DUNGEONS!!!
    - focus on new "dungeon packs" for unity.
    - try to get a large amount of preliminary designed dungeons started [to iterate on]
    - get some more Unity contests going ASAP and get users to create some awesome starting points as well

2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Along with faster running (tied to stamina) and camera bob/follow, I think it would be good to have some grunting sounds when Avatar runs into walls, falls, jumps...

Those things together will, I think, make a really good improvement to the avatar feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.