New Player Assistance Guild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roper Docholiday, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I have noticed an influx of comments regarding player dissatisfaction of the game and new players having an extremely tough time just understanding the basics.

for me i think its time we stand up and be proactive and start helping new players get on there feet. so every wed night (time to be determined later) i will fly the guild tag of new player assistance and be in soulton to help new players adjust and any player find combat zones that are suited to their lvl.

I do hope some of you join me there to help out as i admittedly don't know everything nor claim to. i just want us to start doing something proactive to possible make people early on enjoy the game more.

if some of the smarter people want to help out what i really could use is a good starting list of skills each class should have and a path of progression. i know everyone is different but this is just to help start new players on the right track ie i want to be a mage or an archer or pole arms etc. i never used those so i dont know what skills to help start them off with.

would love to have some one who is positive and is a pvper so i can send a player who would really rather pvp talk to someone who enjoys that and is willing to teach them and set up such a avatar play style.

any player owned town owners that would like to help and have open slots or possible even a land deed to share to a new player please contact me and i will see about setting people up into your town,

if anyone has old gear no matter what shape it is in i can repair it or have someone who will so we can help set players up on proper gear donations would be appreciated if i don't receive any its cool i can farm gold and buy npc gear for them to start with.

gold donations would be greatly appreciated as well i would like to minimally be able to donate to new players 5k gold to 10 k gold to help them get started. (especially archers with there expense's trying to lvl )

if any one who is really good at setting up a deck or explaining it would like to help msg me as i think that is one of the biggest confusions a new player has as well.

lets help make this game for people who haven't played it for the last year and just now learning how it works, maybe we can improve our ratings and meet some really great new people. Cause lets all be honest here this release has been the least forgiving when trying to not only learn but figure things out.

thanks for reading this
    and if you are a new player and would like some help friend me in game and i will try to get you started right away.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. Abhann

Abhann Avatar

Great idea, I will try to come on Wednesday though I feel rather like a new player myself some days :)

I have a set of cloth armor and maybe some leather around somewhere also....oh, maybe we should start in Soltown? where new people get sent first?

4EverLost and Roper Docholiday like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I help new folks all the time. I got me a lot in Soltown solely for that purpose.

I'm handing out advice, potions, gear, quest items, gold, directions, deco & furniture, crafting materials and even home+deeds to new folks wanting to try things out or having a hard time.
    I usually bump into similar minded players in downtown Soltown where there is a regular 'gang' trying to help new folks out. These come from all sorts of guilds and with all sorts of intentions.

Some want something in return, some are just like me who finds it reward to help people, others are trying to recruit for a guild or town.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-for-a-tools-deed-get-free-stuff-here.37034/

4. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Roper! A fellow Tennessean! Count me in. I would like to think that I am pretty proficient with explaining mechanics to new players. I'm a total ******** so...just add Crease in-game.

5. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Most of the pax meambers help all the newcommers thats one of the great things of this community.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

Just a word of caution: Overwhelming new players with tidbits and tricks isn't the solution either. In some cases, being given a load of items can also be a turn-off.

I had to turn off voice-chat in my guild because I was practically told what to do. They kept insisting that I gather and craft because of [insert economy reasons].

Short and clear answers are the way to go (unless their questions are vague).

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

8. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

thanks @Weins201

and i totally agree Gix theirs a big difference between showing someone how to do things or how things work vs doing it for them. they need to learn on their own but they also need direction. Ill give a good example my daughter messed up her self cause she did something she though was right but was wrong and used up her pool of xp and no get's 0 gains anymore in crafting. if she was a new player she said she would have quit there so imagine how many people get frustrated with almost 0 guidance in the game and expected to just get it. this was by no means to say people in the game dont help out at all i know my self and many other people on a regular basis help out all over the place i just figured it was time to spend more time helping people in way that invokes them to say hi and how do i do this.

9. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I would never assume someone wants the help and just start barraging them with information. Sometimes people do want to figure things out on their own. One thing I've done lately is hang out in lower level scenes and if someone there looks to be new and struggling with staying alive I'll ask if they want to party up with a healer. I don't really attack things unless it gets overwhelming. I just help them not die while they figure things out. Of course, this benefits me as well in terms of leveling my healing. ;) And if something seems way off I may ask them about their setup because there could be one little thing they're doing wrong that could make a huge impact. For the most part though, I wait for them to ask me the questions.

4EverLost likes this.
  10. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Excellent idea. Every successful sandbox game has a group of dedicated players who take the young under their wing.

11. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

the new guild was formed this morning... i will be in soltown tonight after i get done with r/l

*yes im still a member of BEAR.... I am currently forfeiting my title to try to help new players get established.

this is not about forcing my ideas on them its about providing a visual Que for them to see... to say hey how do i do this. most of us would be willing to help anyone in game that asks us anything. however many new players to this game are unfamiliar with how we are and history shows that new players get grifed a lot and wont ask questions to a stranger.

12. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

UPDATE:

wed night was slow in soltown but @Abhann copper and i sat around star gazed and had a grant time talking to each other while we helped a few players get situated.

I will be back in soltown tonight for a few hours or till i collect enough players to take them around and tour them to some place's.

It was requested last night that a few new player's would like assistance on getting the hat quest done. So tonight Thursday 10 my self and a few other's will be around tonight to assist anyone needing to do the hat quest just friend me in game and when i am on msg and we will head out and help anyone of any lvl to complete this release hat quest.

thanks
    Roper DocHoliday
    Knight of Compassion

Gabriel Nightshadow and Abhann like this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Look For "Grumpie Weinie" in game and if on I will help in any way I can :) Just holler at me :)

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  14. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

hanging out in soltown if anyone wants to stop by say hi or ask any questions

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Do you have any Soltown homes?
    If not, do you want access to one? I have a lot just outside the center with all crafting stations and a chest. The chest is usually filled with stuff I hand out to new folks I meet so you could help yourself to some of the stuff there.
    I usually have some crafting material as well, mostly foodstuffs since those can easily be bought for gold, to show how crafting works and the descovery of recipes etc.
    Could give you kindred rights if you want?

Abhann and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  16. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

that would be awesome it would add a whole new lvl of teaching to new players thank you so much

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  17. salamando

salamando Avatar

Wanted to say Roper was great. Ran into him (before finding these forums) in Soltown and chatted with him for about a half hour. Very helpful and gave me some gold to train my abilities up. Thanks so much!!!!!!! Headed to the Vale as per your recommendation.

- Vicious

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So fixed up the Welcome Outlander area.
    I will get a screenshot with a Soltown minimap later, but the lot is just SE of the center. Ask the town crier for Spoon 's lot.

[​IMG]
    I've put in a bunch of things that could be good when trying to introduce someone to SotA.

• A Public and a Private chest.
      The public chest I will put stuff in every now and then, but really when doing a demo one can put some stuff in it for show.
      The private chest is filled with gear and good stuff for introductions (listed below).
    • Aether Amplifier
      So they can test avatars radio.
    • A letter and two books placed on the table
      So that they can interact with them. The letter has some welcome notes. The books are authored by me, but actually game assets, not crafted. Which is another point of the crowdsourced thingie.
    • A piano.
      Which will hopefully work in R22
    • Blank Papers
      In the chest. One can hand one over, they can write something, then trade it back and one places it on the ground for added effect.
    • Gear
      There are cloth/leather/plate gear in the chest.
    • Food
      There are some food in the chest.
    • Ingredients for food
      some cooking pots and ingredients in the chest. Nothing fancy but one can show how discovering recipes works.
    • All Crafting Stations
      One needs to tell them tools and mats can be found on the local vendors and gathered in the while.
    • Also right next to the lot is a stag and two rabbits.
    • ...and more to come.

If anyone else, who can be trusted, wants to I can add permissions for more people as well.

Abhann and Roper Docholiday like this.
  19. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

thanks to the great spoon here. he over paid me for some white iron sheet and now we will be available to place people into housing in the game. thank you so much for the incredible donation spoon.

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well you could trick some of them to visit Lux...
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.