New Player's letter to New Players

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Max Bennis, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Hi, New Britannians who've just arrived!

I'm Max Bennis and I'd like to welcome you to this exciting, filled with potential, and ever growing world.

I joined SotA a while ago(a recall sometime around R16), but only a few months have I played it seriously.
    I currently at adventure level 54, and my in-game name is same as my forum name, Max Bennis.
    So, if you need any help while playing the game, do not hesitate to add me as a friend!
    (Oh, by the way, I didn't pay interest in crafting. If you need crafted gears you should find other Hospitallers who're more than willing to help!)

I'm writing this post based on my experience and findings, so the information I provide may not be very accurate or optimized as more experienced players might give.

1. I've made my avatar and met Oracle, a.k.a Big Metal Face. What path should I take?
    - There are three paths to take; Courage(sword), Love(Bow), Truth(Mage).
    People who're accustomed to more casual MMORPG might think 'Ok, I chose the path of bow, so I can only stick to arrow flinging skill then', but this game is different.
    You can develop any skills you want at any time, and in order to finish main quests, you have to explore all three paths quests anyway.
    So, choosing path will only affect in starting region, daily Oracle test(find nearest Oracle building to initiate the test and get extra gold and xp!)
    - In my case, I chose the path of love, and now I'm Ranger + Elemental Mage. I intend to go for melee fighting when I feel dull with my bow.

2. I want to be skillful in everything! Oh, wait, why does my skill not level up even I'm using it?
    - Yes, you can be anything and everything, but not so fast! You need a plan and effort.
    - SotA's skill advancement system is quite different from other games I've experienced.
    You need to use the skill to improve it, and leveling skill up is only possible when your 'Experience pool' is not empty. It's like a bank, you can only withdraw money only if you've cash left in your bank account.
    - When your skill goes higher, its usage of XP will grow exponentially, and if you're not gaining XP as much as you use it, it'll show its bottom, which leads to total inablility to raise any skills.
    so plan your skill development before you begin!
    - you can raise/maintain/unlearn/stop learn your skill by clicking green arrow placed upper left at each skill icons!
    - In my case, I developed bow skills and life skills first, then unto other elemental skills.
    Now I'm working on raising light armor skill because of the damage avoidance it gives.
    I tend to keep my XP pool around 100K. If it maintains then I raise a couple more skills, if I goes down, then I turn off a few skills to maintain my pool.

→ In short, keep your XP pool filled. Plan your skill development before you begin, don't turn on every skills you use, and find suitable grind spot where good XP is provided to you! PLANNING is important!

I'm pretty sure there are much more detailed advice from other players, but I just wanted to let new players know they're not alone, and even total casual noob such as myself can settle into this world. Most important, SotA is much more enjoyable than you think.

P.S. SotA community is very supportive towards the new players, so don’t be shy to dib your finger in it!

DO NOT DESPAIR, FOR YOU MAY FIND HELPING HANDS IN THIS WORLD, AND THERE ARE MANY.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

A great introduction for any new player

I would also like to welcome all new players to the game remember to post any questions here in the forums and I have created a youtube page dedicated to the game where your answers might be found.

I look forward to meeting you in the game

I also accept all friend requests so you will know when I am online to ask questions in the game.

Max Bennis and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.