Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New UI, tutorial feedback

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Cryptomancer, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptomancer

Cryptomancer Avatar

Just some general feedback from my brief foray this weekend.

I heard about the new control scheme, tried it, and thought it was generally OK. I found it weird to have different X/Y sensitivity, even when in the options they were at default middle settings. What I was really struggling for was a key to get free mouse cursor, mainly to interact with UI Windows, such as tutorial pop-ups. Combat and ranged spell targeting was good though, I intuited those.

The tutorial though, where I landed in Blood River Massacre, was frustrating. Why did I need the scavenger's dagger? What "better" loot was he looking for? (I found it, but not by way of conversation!) The notes and journals painted a picture that didn't seem to lead to any fruition; a truth discovered but not revealed, no justice to come of it. Maybe that story stretches further than that scene, but that could also have been part of the tutorial, even through the NPC dialog.

Leaving that zone, it was also extremely dark. Not just that it necessitated use of a torch, but that some things like NPCs in dialog close-ups didn't look right. Difficult to navigate a new world in the dark! Glad I had a couple maps, but I don't recall explanation to use them, vs why the compass disappears when clicking "m".

I did eventually make it to Ardor, found a guard that knew the way to the bank (not all guards do though), and had no trouble claiming and retrieving items. I even found an unclaimed row lot, long past my window, placed the house. Took a little longer to figure how to place the basement; I wouldn't mind a couple more tutorial pop-ups based on first lot claim, or acquiring the basement deed/hatch.

That's it for my thoughts, mostly looking at the new player experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.