Newbie With a Query (Crafting)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gareth Caliborne, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Howdy Do, Everypeoples!

My question is (and this may or may not have been answered elsewhere, somewhere, but I didn't spot it. Sorry if I'm repeating an oft asked question) does anyone have an idea of if we can play full-on crafters? That's basically the one thing every MMO I've tried has been missing since UO. In most modern MMO's the crafting is depressingly shallow and pretty much every character can also craft awesomely, so I've been long awaiting another opportunity to be Medieval Donald Trump again.

From what I understand, though, crafting exp and combat exp are separate. With the only way to get resources being to go out into monster territory and kill everything so you can be free to pick up the resources, which essentially means you also have to be relatively badass rather than just focusing on crafting.

Also, if crafting and combat exp are separate, I'm assuming that means every character will also be able to level up crafting on the side as well? Which would probably remove any use for solely dedicated crafters, unless both types of exp share an exp cap or some such, meaning you would have to choose what you focus on a little more.

Or is it so early that no one knows anything for sure and I should just shut up and wait? Only asking now as I'm pondering which level to pledge at, and in my case the awesomeness of crafting and the ability to play an actual merchant properly would definitely effect how loose my purse strings get, as it's what I enjoy most.

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I think a guild would be the answer for you if you want to do nothing at all but craft. This game looks like having quite a strong focus on crafting though it is not yet fully implemented. New crafting will be available to test out in about 3 hours time with the new pre-alpha release. Also, welcome :)

3. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Indeed, hoping to keep an eye out for an RP guild or some such. Though I only found one RP community site for this game so far and it had absolutely nothing posted on the forums, so I'm assuming it died before it was born.

Edit: Also work may or may not be getting an early call from me informing them of a "Stomache Bug" that I somehow contracted on this, of all days. Whatever shall I do being forced to sit at home all day?!

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There is actually quite a few RP guilds here, mine dabbles but is not full immersion RP. There is a guilds section in this forum, have a browse and pick one that appeals to you :) When the server comes up for the pending release, feel free to add me in game if you require some help. My in game name is the same as my forum name.

Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

There's a number of statements and design ideas which show the Devs intention of ensuring your character is "You", rather than a jack of all trades, and but as the game is still in development we don't know exactly how they'll achieve this. Currently with regards to crafting, your account is limited a single character, unless you buy expanded "Families" who will all share the last name; at present higher level backers unlock up to 3 character slots I think? And the economy is going to be purely player driven, in that every item in game will have been crafted by a player at some point, and have a traceable history (probably crafters marks, but "Sword of Orc Slaying" marks if it's been used to kill 100 orcs etc is an idea that's already been discussed). This will require quite a bit of crafting to seed all the monsters loot. NPCs will have a fluctuating market, where as players will likely offer consistent prices as they compete with each other. Basic resources are in, but it's possible to get at them simply by running from monsters; just as it's been possible so far for me to get to every single Grand Tour with a naked starter character by simple environment-hopping. They also aren't character bound so can be traded even if you can't...
    So there's plenty of space and indication crafters are going to be active and vital. We just don't know yet how pure and unique the experience will be. Why not get involved in the alpha releases and give your own feedback on how they can be better? ;)

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

In release it is expected to be possible to be only a crafter, this means to make things, not gather. Gathering is for those that do both PVE & Gathering. They in turn sell their gathered items on their vendors for crafters to purchase. Since the skill trees are separate, there does currently not seem to be a way to increase strength so as to increase carry capacity with Crafting so you may need to kill a few rats. Then again, there is plenty of time for devs to add a stat increase to crafting tree somewhere.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Well Met Gareth Caliborne

Yes you will be able to play a full on crafter.
    For the main story line they have said that you'd need some fighting to finish. Hopefully that can be accomplished somewhat with mercenaries.
    But to participate in the economy and have an impact on a guild - yes yes yes.

Yes the xp is seperate, yes that means that almost everyone will have some of the other side. However my last avatar was almost level 50 in combat, I could fill out 2 branches deeply and added some 3 more thinly.
    So there is simply no chance that a hobby crafter can compete with a proffessional one.
    We have not seen any crafting trees yet, but the really good stuff will certainly be in the top of the tree.
    So what you will most likely see is that adventurers with hobby crafting will spend their skill points on the Gathering side, this since they are out in the wild mostly. So I wouldn't try to compete in the gathering section, there will be plenty of hybrids there.

You don't need to be heavily into combat to pick up resources. There are several solutions to that. Most obvious being in a party, fighting types would love to have someone to protect who'd bring up the rear and pick up the spoils. Especially with encumbrance hitting us hard this release and going forward. If you don't want to get organized then in lots of scenes there are monster factions, so you can kite them to eachother to drag them away from whatever resurces that could be there.
    I've demonstrated this with an avatar with no combat XP in Righ Inis. Keep running and keep smart and you will gather a lot without a single strike. Plus pick up the spoils when the factions kill each other off.

Also note that for Player-Run-Towns like mine or Themo Lock 's someone like you who wants to be a pure crafter is something which is coveted and not common. Those pure crafters are the players that can be a core in bringing a town to life since they don't want to be out being the greatest hero of all time like everyone else... :rolleyes:

So for those of us who see such, we'd easily set you up with a team, and supply those base resources in a steady stream. Such A to B to C where everyone feels they can be a part of something grander is what communities are built upon.

Spoon mayor of Lux Sanctuary.​

Tahru, lollie and Themo Lock like this.
  8. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Aiming for multiple chars, so hopefully my crafty guy can have just enough fighting ability to kill things for leather, and my fighty guy will have just enough gathering to pick up stuff for my crafter as I play him. In addition to hopefully finding a good group to run around with to support my sweet, sweet smithing addiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.