Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night and Day (Moon and Sun)

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

We need a visual icon on our GUI that shows what time of day it is, and what the strength of the moon and the sun are.

This comes into play for Sun and Moon magic, a lot, and despite being outside I can never really tell what time of day it is. Is the darkness that is creeping in going to last, or is this the beginning of the dawn? I don't know.

Is the moon in a full eclipse or in some other phase that makes no sense to me because I can't visualize what wanning and waxing means in my head?

Is the sun particularly powerful right now, or is the current planetary alignment downgrading the impact of high noon? Who knows?

I know the moon dials will tell us this kind of thing eventually, but I think having this information in the moment it's occurring is something that should generally be available at all times. I think the moon dial should help "predict" and track these types of events, but the second by second happenings should be easy to understand by looking at our GUI.

Lord Baldrith and Numa like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree that it can feel a bit esoteric right now.

The compass does now provide information on dated, season, time of day, and moon status though.

Oh and the weather forecast too :)

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Waning+Gibbous+Moon

The word gibbous refers to phases where the moon is more than half illuminated. Waxing essentially means "growing" or expanding in illumination, and waning means "shrinking" or decreasing in illumination.

:)

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree with @Drocis, moon magic will be one of my important magic trees and the moon symbol will be very useful.

Cherico likes this.
  5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I guess I have been out of astronomy circles too long. I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look up 'gibbous' awhile back. Been awhile since I heard that term.

I do like how the dev team has required some thought to understand the day night cycle though, providing the information in detail on one hand, but not perhaps not making it entirely obvious.

Does adding a sun or moon symbol on the game UI somehow make the astronomy system feel diminished or too easy? Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.