Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

No Hooks

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by jammaplaya, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I mean compared to UO for example, and aside from players who have higher tier pledges and thus some pretty sweet loot or a sick expensive cloak to look at, there just aren't any hooks in this entire game.

Maybe there's some nice loot I don't know about yet, on some of the insane mobs only guilds can take down, but either way for an average joe with the lowest tier pledge level there's just nothing hooking me except my own personal fandom.

And I'm sure this goes for a few players in the mid tier pledge range too, who at this point have say a house placed, and spend a lot of their time grinding gold to pay their taxes. It would be a lot more fun if there were some rare item drops out there on some low-mid level bosses (which don't exist either from what I've seen)

Anyways, the game would benefit greatly from a few new mid level bosses that people can solo, and a few more mid level rares etc.

Why I compared it to UO? Because in UO, you can wear like 15 pieces of clothing over top of your armor. Rare wearable's and colored cloth to make them with. This is the golden age of rares and I don't even think there are any rares on this entire game. Remember server birth rares?? Every dungeon should have a mini boss with a rare drop and even the little mobs should have a low end rare in there too.

I'm just running around in a full copper plate suit, and it's a total eyesoar. 12 pure white dyes and nothing to use them on. We should have body sashes, quivers, robes, doublets, kilts, skirts, surcoats ETC ETC that can be worn over top platemail.

2. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I guess and this is how I cope, is to take a back seat of the bus, and watch it unfold. It is about the only option for me, which in fairness allows me to be a nomad till they get the game straight. Even though I have a row lot in Adoris, it is an eye sore to me, compared to what I am use to in UO 2d top down. I dont even use the house but to check to remind me that one day I will be glad I hung in there¿ They need to deliver a truck load of carrots to pledges in fine fashion pretty soon. imho
    No matter how they justify it to themselves, they are not going to be able to remove themselves of the greatness of UO, so the sooner they deal with this issue the better. many of the bootlickers will not agree because they are invested in what port thinks and there friends think of them. But it is truth, Port is living in the shadow of Ultima Online, and it is a huge burden to overcome. But I have invested $300 that thinks they will... but they have a long row to hoe given the information That I have.

3. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

At the very least I hope to see an appearance layer over our armor one day.

Lord Baldrith and jammaplaya like this.
  4. Kittik

Kittik Avatar

I think they want you to spend money and buy, from the cash shop, stuff to wear. For looks.

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

The "rares" are player crafted gear.

Sir Cabirus and Lord Barugon like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Truly. To get what one considers the perfect piece of crafted gear would be very rare.

7. Phoenix2

Phoenix2 Avatar

I too am hoping for the hooks to come, actually probably more carrots too. I mean, Im enjoying the game right now, but what happens when i've mastered all the skills in the game that I care to master and can craft pretty much what I want?

I had posted last week wondering about what kinds of group content existed in the game. Unfortunately, I've been playing the game primarily solo other than organizing weekly groups for my guild, and to me, solo + mmo doesn't really mix well. And before the kickstarter purists start picketing, I'm sorry but if it looks like an MMO and Feels/Plays like an MMO...guess what...It's and MMO.

The problem here though is that I feel like right now Im still making my character (which is a fun experience) but like I said, at some point in the not to distant future, I'll for the most part be done leveling my skills; unless there comes a reason to do so again. So when that happens, what is there left in the game? I know they are still refining their story and that the game in still in development so there is hope that there will be carrots in the game, heck, I've spent about $640.00 on the game to show my support that they will in deed make a great game.

But I think we need to know what the game plan is really. I want to know that there are things I can work and/or grind really hard at achieving. I would love to see difficult and/or rare content be added to the game that has purpose. Give me rare mobs or bosses that drop rare recipes and mats. Give me more high end group/raid content that gives good risk vs reward loot. Anything like that would give me something to look forward to achieving.

danjacobsmith likes this.
  8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So, you're comparing a complete game with nearly 20 years of continuous development to a game that has not ramped up to 'release' mode yet. OK.

9. Brother Oak

Brother Oak Avatar

More long term goals would be good!

Spoon likes this.
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Invalid argument, because although UO has existed for 20 years, all of the things I noted from UO existed within the first year, and even alpha. (clothing over armor/server birth rares/rare colored clothing)

This isn't a complaint as much as it's a suggestion anyways.

There should be 5 extra slots for aesthetic clothing. (aesthetic meaning no buffs at all)

1) Hood
    2) Robe
    3) Apron
    4) Upper body
    5) Lower body

It's funny because it's called Shroud of the Avatar, yet I personally have yet to see a single garment resembling a shroud.

All I know is, throw a couple birth rares into the mix for people to put in their houses and SotA will probably last 20 years too.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd happily buy some of the 'wearables' from the add-on store, but seeing as I can only wear them if I'm going to a social event, they aren't really as useful.
    A wardrobe option of some sort would certainly encourage more people to buy these things if they could actually kill things and look good doing it.

Magnus Zarwaddim and jammaplaya like this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I heard that is part of the main storyline, and is all very hush hush right now.. :) A shroud is coming..

jammaplaya likes this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

And you're saying that he/she shouldn't? Why? Because it's not fair? Okay.

14. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Aye, tis fair in this case. Apples being compared to apples. The fact that UO has been around for 2 decades just shows how credible this suggestion is, and that's why I brought it up. I'm not talking about things like how polished the graphics or storyline are, and really I think it would be sweet if the storyline would be a secret right up until launch, so that beta testers and new players will all be experiencing it for the first time together.

In terms of UO, so many of the people who are keeping UO alive are endgame users, hardened veterans who have been around for as long as the game has. They're tired of crafting and farming, and play just to hang out for the most part. The amount of UO players today who only care about wearables is staggering, and the towns and banks would be super dead without them, and they need rare deco items for their houses too.

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

And this is what it REALLY is all about. ;)

jammaplaya likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

UO is a complete game. SOTA remains in development. There is hope still. :)

But it's a great point. The game does need more 'hooks' to involve players in story and adventure. As is virtually nothing pulls me into quests. And NPCs drop the same rusty swords.

Hopefully soon.

jammaplaya likes this.
  17. Gix

Gix Avatar

What do we gain for comparing apples to apples? The moment one disagrees with the comparison, that person will claim that one apple is really something else entirely... so there's no point.

"You can't compare SotA to WoW"
    "You can't compare SotA to UO"
    "You can't compare SotA to Skyrim"
    "You can't compa~~" for crying out loud, what CAN we compare it to, then?

Where I come from, the age of a product (or any of the promises) doesn't excuse it for being good or bad; you judge it for what it is. SotA's in development, sure, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt... but it still should be pushing the envelope. Just because Portalarium is a small team won't make me like/play SotA more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.