Noble chat broke or have the Nobles finally realized I'm an impostor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree, it shouldn't be hard to create a different orb that everyone can use. It would help newcomers when they have questions, we could all chat with one another no matter where we are, and if someone didn't want to use it they could just not put the orb in their backpacks.

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

There are major reasons NOT to have a universal global channel. It attracts gold farmers/sellers, becomes a toxic cesspool of trolling and inappropriate dialogue, and (because of the previous two reasons) requires quite a bit of monitoring to keep in line. Global chat has been brought up many times before and shot down.

After playing a few weeks in BDO, I had no doubts about how bad global channels can be for a game.

At least Noble's channel has the safe guard of players having quite a lot to "lose" by being banned for bad behavior. And it represents a small subsection of the game.

I do think we need a zone-wide shout ability (useful for helping people find events or ask for help) and guild alliances that allow for multiple guilds to band together.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea its where rich people can chat between them selves to fourm groups sell goods and price fix. Where us common folk have to happen on these things randomly :)

4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I know it's been brought up before and shot down, main reason being gold farmers as the opposing reason not to have it. I can understand the concern about gold spammers, currently there are only 2 sites up that I can see that even offer gold for Shroud of the Avatar. I know that could change if the game ends up being successful. The learning curb for this game starting out as a new player can be very frustrating. Not everyone bothers with forums for games these days. Also with single player online/friends only online being more beneficial (because of resources/creatures) than being in multi-player it makes it less likely people can see someone on the overhead to ask questions if they pass by. We need a way we can communicate with new players in game to help them with questions and advice. We need a way to communicate with everyone for events and gatherings, and just to sit and chat with one another while we're out and about doing our on thing. Shutting out the majority of players from a global chat is just wrong to me. If another orb is created for a global chat, which wouldn't be difficult to do, it could be a long quest line to do for it or sold on the add-on store at the very least for people that would like to have a global chat. People that don't want it wouldn't have to do the quest for it or buy it, so I don't see why those who oppose a global chat would have a problem with it. Don't want it, just don't get it. Not having noble chat for nearly a week, I can tell you I missed not having it, finally yesterday seeing someones post of the workaround made me glad. I like having people chatter and being able to converse with people and I'd also like to be able to speak with everyone in the game if they want to chat all together. Why not let people have a choice?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

to be honest it's largely used for bug reporting tlak or having a bit of fun at each others expense or for event organization. But yes, yes we kicked Greyfox out. Sorry man, you were voted off of the island.

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

That is what the Hospitaller program is all about. For any new players that stumble upon this topic or anyone who wants to help new players, Sotahelp.org is a great resource. They can post questions for Hospitallers to answer, find out which Hospitallers are currently online in game and available for whispers, or schedule a time to meet up with a Hospitaller in game. On the main page there is even a list of Hospitallers, so if you see someone that can help with a topic of concern, just send them a friend request in game and pick their brain when you see them. New players don't have to register to use these services. There is also an FAQ and a list of websites with useful information. They are working on more ways to get the word out to new players about the hospitaller program including an updated new player guide.

7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm aware of this and it's a good thing, but but this shouldn't be the only solution for people that are new to the game or people who want to converse with everyone in the game. This is 2016 not the 1990's, I can't count the number of people I've met and grouped up with over the years in games that have global chat that I would have never met if it wasn't available. I will never understand why the ease of meeting and conversing with others is so disapproved of with this game, stifling the opportunities of socializing with others. I suppose I will always disagree with those that do not want a global chat and they will always disagree with me and I should just leave it at that. :)

8. Selene

Selene Avatar

I hear so many people talk about how wonderful the community is here, and it's managed to become that way without having a global chat. If Portalarium WANTS to have a global chat, the responsible thing would be hiring at least one person to monitor it full time for infractions. There would be a lot more "time outs" and banning of accounts and more customer service associated with that. I don't think they want to open that can of worms for the minimal gain when there are so many other ways for people communicate and gather.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Exactly.
    Deal with it :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Was that before or after the League of evil meeting where we decided how to bleed the peasents dry?

KuBaTRiZeS and Spoon like this.
  11. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

It was before that, but after the shuffleboard tournament.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Damn i knew I would regret beeing late. I love shuffleboard!

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I realize my infamous lipstick on a pig incident during the last Noble's dinner party put me on notice. I never imagined total removal was going to be the outcome.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Bunch of high class individuals in that group i see /wink

"I wouldnt want to be a part of a oganization that would have me as a memeber"

/yell :)

15. smack

smack Avatar

A public chat channel is only moderated by GMs and they are the only ones that can kick you and it requires no invite, except the price of the game. A global guild chat requires an explicit invite from another player and that guild can kick you at any time for any reason. That's the main difference of a public vs. private channel. Think of it as any public building, where you pay a fee to enter and can't be denied entry, where as a private building is not required to let you in for any reason they make up. You can't force yourself into a guild just by paying. And no, my logic has nothing to do with castles and keeps, not sure where you pulled that analogy from.

Yeah, no, it's not mostly bug talk or bad jokes. Oh, it would be just grand if what was said in that channel was made public and everyone will see it is no different than the global chat channels on any MMO. YMMV depending on when you're on it, but it is not as "clean" as you claim.

While I'm not condoning it, this idea has come up before too, especially as they've set the precedent of the $5 forum post fee. Ok fine, $5 orb for global help channel, $5 orb for global Owl's Head channel, $5 orb for ...

This is a false argument, because guess what...they already need to monitor all /local channels, in every scene, in every instance. There is nothing stopping a gold farmer from buying 100 accounts and spamming every city in /local. The need for moderation is not any greater to do so for any kind of "global" channel they create -- including Noble chat.

I'm not saying just go off and create /global. Not at all. I'm simply saying let the devs find some creative solution to this. There are many other ideas posted on these forums in similar threads. Don't limit what they can do simply out of fear-driven lobbying.

KuBaTRiZeS, Ice Queen and Mata like this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You are right. It isn't. It's even cleaner because usually it is quite.
    I am sorry but there is no big conspiracy at work.

17. smack

smack Avatar

No idea what you mean about conspiracy. Care to explain?

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well I don't use it.....I feel far too much of a peasant to partake.......I might sell some of these orbs though if people are really desperate to listen in on errrrrrr well...nothing lol

19. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Well, slightly more than just the price of the game for the noble chat.

I personally have never understood the logic behind not having a global chat. I understand the negatives to having one, but in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives. I think it is stupid to pay-gate global chat in any form. It doesn't create more a more immersive experience for people as they usually just whisper or stick with guild chat. It is also a hindrance for new players as it forces them out of the game to get answers to questions. Not likely to change the opinion of LB though.

***Edit***
    Also, when I'm on (6-11 pm PST) it is almost always dead on the noble chat. Not that it changes your thoughts on it, but it isn't highly used when I'm on currently.

Aldo, KuBaTRiZeS and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Considering it was offered as an exclusive perk I doubt they would ever offer something similar for everyone else. They generally seem to air on the side of caution when pledge perks are concerned.

That said, it is a tradable item. You could actually buy it from someone who doesn't want to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.