Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Not a bug]Alchemy level bug

Discussion in 'Release 42 Bug Forum' started by Almar, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almar

Almar Avatar

1. Title: My alchemy level is 79 and I can't learn the Moondial recipe which requires level 70.
    2. Reproduction Rate: N/A
    3. Blocker? Well, only if you want to make a moondial.
    4. Details: I've pretty much covered it
    5. Steps to Reproduce: N/A
    6. User Specs:Win 10.....

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

recipes have a proficiency level requirement. this is NOT the same as your skill level. if you go into your skill tree and mouse over alchemy, it will show your proficiency in the description in green text.

you can get a temporary proficiency boost by devotionals, special tools, and trying to learn the recipe while at an expert table.

3. Almar

Almar Avatar

Well, that's not confusing at all!

Thank you @Alley Oop

Tiina Onir, Gregg247 and Lexie like this.
  4. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

It is confusing, and they had a complaint about it last release. They will have a complaint about it next release because it's confusing. It really needs to be changed, it doesn't add anything and worsens the new-player experience.

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

On the R41 Postmortem, I asked if they could change the wording in the tooltip to specify that the requirement is NOT the skill level, but the skill proficiency.
    They said it was a good suggestion, but not sure if/when it will appear.

It is confusing, but technically it is working as intended. The skill level and the proficiency level are not a 1:1 ratio... the proficiency is on a bell curve with diminishing returns. This is all due to the use-base skill system we have here in SOTA.

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Yes it is working as intended, but it is not a requirement of the use-base skill system. Just change the rate at which the skill level changes with regard to XP put into it, such that it matches the change in proficiency, and the effect is identical (well, except that it will stop people asking about it every release).

I'm only so emphatic about this one, because it's one of those polish details that will cause people to neg the game. I really don't want that for something that can be so easily fixed.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I totally understand your point and in fact, I just made a Post in the General Forums to help people understand the concept better.

But the problem is that the Proficiency is not solely based on the skill you are training up, it also includes expert crafting station buffs, Devotional buffs, and Artifact buffs. So they can't simply adjust the XP point curve to make it a 1:1 ratio with the skill... it would basically make these buffs worthless if only the skill level mattered to learn a skill.

8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

No it wouldn't. Just make the buffs buff your level rather than your (hypothetically removed) proficiency. This really isn't that hard, everything that can be done with the layer of indirection can be done just as well without it.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Real life is like this. I know professors (who supposedly have gm'd their trade) with proficiency levels around 20. I could go on and on but do not want anyone to get offended ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.