Novian time as defined by the new wall clocks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Numa, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

When I started this game I was very confused by the day phases included in the calendar date display right under the compass. The new wall clocks have made the phases much clearer for me. After staring at my wall clock for an entire Novian day, here is the table:

[​IMG]

12 midnight to 3AM : Midnight
    3AM to 6AM : Late Night
    6AM to 9AM : Dawn
    9AM to 12 noon : Morning
    12 noon to 3PM : Midday
    3 PM to 6PM :Afternoon
    6PM to 9PM : Dusk
    9PM to 12 midnight : Evening

Using the ingame clock to setup an appointment with another player is only practical imo in 3 novian hour periods since the minute hand rockets around as fast as the second hand does in RL clocks. I also think the new clocks will be important when used in conjunction with the moondials for precisely predicting sieges and other Novian events affected by celestial events.

Paging @Bowen Bloodgood

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

New Britannian time is 1/24th of earth time.
    So each new Britannian minute is 2.5 earth seconds.

3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Don't want to derail the thread but as an aside why is the day/night cycle so fast in SOTA ?

Seems much more rapid than other MMO's and dare I say it - just a bit silly ?

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Probably the single best reason given is that it 'makes the math easy'. The only thing that's really odd about New Britannia Time is the fact that the NB month is 28 real time hours. Otherwise.. 1 real hour is 1 day.. 1 NB year is exactly 2 weeks. The orbits of the moons are measured in precise days/hours.. (in prime numbers btw)..

Personally I thought the day night cycle should've been twice as long personally.. but a lot of people seem to take issues with a long night time. *shrug* thus one of the reasons for the artificially long dawn and dusk that both cut into the night time by about 2.5 minutes each. (Which I personally find a bit annoying).

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hate to say but the book is in error.. New Britannian months are all 28 days making it a 336 day year. (Again, exactly 2 Earth weeks) I'm not sure the day names are entirely correct either though could be wrong about that.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Whoa - looks like things that Novian time is similar but weirdly and symmetrically askew from RL time. This probably will make siege prediction easier.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Calculating sieges is all about the math. There's already a bot for Discord that does it. It'll tell you what towns are under siege and which cabalists are involved. (and incidentally you can have it tell you how much XP you need to reach skills and who killed who in PvP).. Bot is on the Societus Eruditorum channel.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Come for the bot; stay for the education.

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

FFXI uses a 1:25 time scale, just slightly faster than SotA. It has different timing (such as an 8 day week) which causes it to start the same way every earth week.

Lately I've been working on a DHTML applet that can even run in a browser from a local file (you still need your PC clock synced), showing the next few lunar rift destinations. Seeing the numbers come out right when I was multiplying/dividing by the right amount was really cool. The numbers I got which matched correctly without tweaking are:

Epoch: 1997-09-02 00:00:00 UTC (roughly the start of UO, I found this on the forums somewhere)
    24x time speed (24 brit days per earth day)
    12 months per brit year
    28 days per brit month (it makes the math so much easier to have the same days per month)
    7 days per brit week
    24 hours per brit day (60 earth minutes)
    3 hours per day phase
    28 hours per brit moon cycle (70 earth minutes)
    8 moon phases per cycle

Note that these numbers mean that the brit year is only 336 days, but the 7 factor in 28 is why a brit year lines up exactly with earth's 7-day weeks, as Bowen mentioned.

There are other astro cycles out there which I haven't even begun to look at, which are the ones that sieges are based on.

Numa likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Spoon and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  12. Curt

Curt Avatar

Sounds like it would had been enough if the clocks only had the hour hand(sp?)

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not really, at least the minute hand will give you a sense of how fast the hour is flying :)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.