1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

NPC Names

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Tahru, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It would be awesome if NPC's had names. The players were told early in development that they have to ask NPC's what their names are. It not that every NPC has a purpose as most are just there to make the place look occupied. But each should have a name, not a canned speech about how they don't tell outlanders their names.

I spent the last hour running around Port Graff which is a cool little town with lots of NPC's and I only found one that had a name, the adventurer trainer.

What I had hoped for was to run though town and see all these different names, but instead I get "citizen", "traveler", "guard" on all of them that don't have a store. It makes the place feel cold and dead.

All I am requesting is that NPC's have names. They don't all have to have a purpose, but should have an identity.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't mind in general, but a beggar who asks me for money but refuses to tell me his name? rude!

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol, I'm glad I'm not the only Outlander who has thought this! :)

I agree that more NPC's should have names and some dialogue, it reeks of laziness given the amount of them out there. I could understand a few of them telling me to, "Go away!" or "I don't talk to Outlanders.", but it does seem a bit excessive in some scenes.

Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not sure if I prefer nice or rude but, "I do prefer interesting or entertaining".

I met an actual beggar about 7 months ago, he said his name was "No Money". 2 months later I ran into No Money again, yet this time he had landed himself a job as a dress coat and tie shopping mall security watchman.

His name was humorous enough, but then came the most interesting part about him... Every time I saw him thereafter, he would ask me if I knew a foreigner who he had also met, and if whoever he was asking about was inside the mall, he would then ask me to follow him so I could meet this other foreigner. Then, he would stand in the middle of us smiling like a Cheshire Cat while we introduced ourselves to each other, the funny part being, that No Money didn't speak very much English and neither did most of the other foreigners he was introducing to anyone. No Money just thought that all foreigners should know each other, as if they/we, were all from the same country.

So, what if one of our beggars would ask your name and then ask you if you knew the outlander he'd last met before you?

Beggar: Hey you! What's your name?

Outlander: I'm John Doe.

Beggar: Oh, you're an outlander! You should meet Joe Blow, he's an outlander too!

I think this would make for a good foot traffic indicator, indicating other players that seem to be actively playing in your well trodden area.

~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.