Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPC random encounter vanished from overworld map

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by Echondas, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

01/28/2019 20:20
    Title: NPC random encounter vanished from overworld map
    Reproduction Rate: 3 times
    Blocker? No
    Details: I walked by a Barbarian encounter here, I believe I heard the SFX when they spot you, but they didn't chase me that I noticed - I kept walking towards Brittany for 2-3 seconds - then decided to turn around - and the encounter NPC vanished. There were no other players nearby. This is very weird and probably very hard to repro - reporting as an FYI. Looks like I repro'd this again - see video here. The "secret sauce" may involve silent movement.. I'll play some more with it..
    Steps to Reproduce: Unknown
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12) System RAM: 32678
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU RAM: 8088
    SotA.QA.Win.64.799.Date.01.27.19
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (77.7, 18.8, 240.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCg3Ny43LCAxOC43NjEsIDI0MC4xNyl8KDAsIDAuNjQ0LCAwLCAtMC43NjUpfC0xMTYuNjU4OHw0NC42MjczfDQw

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

worth checking, but i do not believe encounters are permanent once spawned until triggered, but reset every so often. something elsewhere on the map probably appeared at the same time.

Echondas likes this.
  3. Echondas

@Alley Oop I think I reproduced this -- I think perhaps the issue/bug silent movement related?

See video here.

Alley Oop likes this.
  4. Echondas

I just repro'd it again -- I think the 'secret sauce' is using Silent Movement after walking away from the mob.. I just did it with a Bandit, around the same location..

5. Echondas

Nope.. it seems specific to THIS spawn point - I made it happen again, without using silent movement.. my video record didn't save though.. but it seems to be the spawn point here:

Area: Novia (Novia) Loc: (77.1, 18.2, 236.7) DBG: Tm92aWF8fCg3Ny4xMDUsIDE4LjE2MiwgMjM2LjcxKXwoMCwgMC40MTQsIDAsIC0wLjkxKXw5NjAuMDkwNHwzOS43MDUzOXw0MA==

Alley Oop likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

confirmed! i'm standing far enough away that they're not spotting me. they spawn in, walk ~three steps, and despawn in seconds. i saw three of them do it.

i DO think that is expected behavior, but that's much too quick.

edit: but not the naughty brat. that's lasting.

Echondas likes this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Was about to say that I was going in and out of Plains Encounters (looking for the new Young Dragon Encounters) so that might be doing it... but Alley Oop just posted while I was typing this and I definitely was not resetting them during that time.

Echondas likes this.
  8. Echondas

9. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Echondas , do these NPCs ever despawn when you are next to them, or only when you get far enough away? The answer is important, because nearly all dynamically-spawned NPCs (which includes these roving encounter NPCs) are likely to despawn and reset if they are not in combat and players get far enough away from them. This is a "cleanup" activity that helps scenes not get bogged down with things that will slow it down. I forget the actual "despawn distance," but it might be something like 100-ish meters in a normal scene. Distance scales are different in the overworld, so it's harder to say what the despawn distance would be there. Ultimately, I think this may be normal occurrence. (But if too confusing or jarring for players then we'll have to look in setting up some kind of exceptions for overworld despawning.

Echondas and Jaesun like this.
  10. Echondas

Hey @Sannio - I only noticed it when I had walked away from the roving encounter (having them behind me in the camera), and with that 1 spawn point - I’ll spend some time today and see if I can recreate this at another spawn point and if it will happen while standing still near them.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.