Oculas Rift Support Please!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by twobells, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twobells

twobells Avatar

Lord Albert and Kvow like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Leos and smack like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Very good point. This is the biggest barrier to enabling Rift support. They could just as easily turn on Rift support now but it would be an extremely poor experience (real first person mode, anyone?). I don't think many people noticed the Oculus plug-in that used to be installed with SotA. :)

And as mentioned in the OP, with the switch to Unity 5, Oculus support will be even easier.
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/20/expanded-oculus-rift-support-in-unity/

But again, to Spoon's point: the biggest factor is solving the user experience so SotA is tailor-made for VR and not simply tacked on. They need to solve the keyboard input and display interface problems and just as critically, design levels that takes full advantage of VR presence.

And yeah, some really minor issue like a true first person mode and not being able to see your arms or body when looking down. :rolleyes:

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

At work we do occulus rift demos for high end automation cells, it's not something you want to do while typing on a keyboard.
    It's even hard for most to do with a joystick.
    What's easier from a user standpoint would be the 3D stereoscopy but that is a nightmare from a developer point of view.

Leos likes this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Have you tried it with the Razer Hydra? Sixense has been putting together some truly sweet interfaces for systems like that.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If that was directed to me then I don't think we even considered it, I think it is still wired, right? Anything wired is out.
    Instead we use a wireless gaming glove for Fairs and Shows and such, it gives the right feel of futuristic in combo to the occulus rift. People love it even if it is harder to get it right.
    But for the inhouse stuff we use a standard wireless console controller for ease of use, or a wireless spacemouse for accuracy.

But I'm not in the team implementing it, I'm just the customers doing the demos etc.

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Nice! Sixense is also working on a follow up to the Hydra which is wireless and has more sensors. They are having a rough time with it but they are doing some good work! Your project sounds awesome by the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.